Page 1 of 1

Can you use a flat clear coat as a base for a wash?

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:33 pm
by stoves
I just finished my tiger 1 kit today and waiting for decals to set. I want to try using a wash for the first time. I only have a flat clear coat and not a gloss clear coat. Is it possible to use a flat clear as a base for a wash or does it have to be a gloss coat? Just want to know before I try it.

Re: Can you use a flat clear coat as a base for a wash?

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am
by jomark
I would HIGHLY advise NOT to use flat or matte finish for washes. It just simply will not work well. The capillary action for washes works better in gloss surfaces and even satin surfaces. Flat surfaces will just end up absorbing the wash.

I'm not saying it is impossible but I've tried it so many times due to laziness and I end up cleaning up the wash longer and smudges all over. If you really have no choice (like getting a gloss varnish or top coat will take weeks to arrive) then be sure to coat the model well. Plus, use pinpoint precision in doing the wash to avoid cleanup.

Re: Can you use a flat clear coat as a base for a wash?

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 am
by Maverik
Very good info cheers

Re: Can you use a flat clear coat as a base for a wash?

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 am
by Coen
Gloss coats are mostly for oil, acrylic, and clay washes.
Flat coats are for filters and mapping (dot filters)
There are exceptions to this, but that's the general rule.