Hello from Edinburgh

Introduce yourself to other forum members
Post Reply
User avatar
rusty27285
Private
Private
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Hello from Edinburgh

Post by rusty27285 »

Hi All

Just trying to get back to model building at the moment. Joined here to be inspired and pick peoples brains. I'm in quite a small 1 bedroom flat with my fiancee and two rabbits so currently trying to work out the best place to set up a work station again and a way of getting my airbrush back in working order without gassing everyone in the flat to death with toxic paints. Anyone who has space saving tips or builds without the luxury of a garage/workstation (is it sad that this is my dream for the future??) please feel free to throw tips my way.

Cheers and hope to get to know some of you soon

Neil
BaldyBuilderBoy
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 am
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by BaldyBuilderBoy »

:welcome: to ISM Neil. I take it that you are, or will be, a frequent visitor to Wonderland models down there in Edinburgh. I'm based in the Borders just a few miles to the south of you and like nothing more than a trip into the city to check out what goodies they have on offer.
You should get loads of information and help from ISM. Look forward to seeing some of your work. :th:
BBB
In the stash: Revell 1/32 Beaufighter, Airfix 1/48 Lightning, Academy 1/72 Catalina, Academy 1/72 B17F, and THAT Revell Voyager Kit.
User avatar
rusty27285
Private
Private
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by rusty27285 »

Hi BBB

Yeah I do head in to wonderland models quite a bit. Not been in a while though. Need to pop in and get myself a cheap model to get started with again, got the perfectionists fear at the moment and don't quite know where to start and what model to get. Should probably just bite the bullet and get something/anything.

Do you go along to any model building groups or anything like that? I know there's one in Edinburgh which I popped along to once years ago. Need to find out about it again and go along and meet some fellow geeks/model builders :)
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by Lee »

Welcome to ISM Neil :)
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by Gav0909 »

Ah another Scot! I am just over the water in Fife, but work in Tranent.

Wonderland is good, but I do lament a bit that they don't stock Vallejo paints! As for space to model, I lived in a 1 bed flat with my gf in Oban for 5 years and managed. I had an IKEA PC desk (one with a pull out keyboard tray and built in shelves over head) and painted/modelled on that. Wasn't ideal but it worked.
BaldyBuilderBoy
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 am
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by BaldyBuilderBoy »

Do you go along to any model building groups or anything like that? I know there's one in Edinburgh which I popped along to once years ago.
Ah sadly I've never been to any model group. I tend to be a stay-home type. My work is generally unsociable hours and I have sacrificed a few things over the years because I'm usually working when others aren't. That's the beauty of this forum, I can take part during the hours that suit me .
Don't fret about having little space.... much of my work is carried out on a card table that is about 2ft square.
In the stash: Revell 1/32 Beaufighter, Airfix 1/48 Lightning, Academy 1/72 Catalina, Academy 1/72 B17F, and THAT Revell Voyager Kit.
User avatar
rusty27285
Private
Private
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by rusty27285 »

Cheers for the welcome Lee and Gav

Cheers for the cramped space encouragement Gav, should be able to get something sorted. At the end of the day I guess it's not about having the perfect working area but just getting started and getting messy. As time goes on I'm sure I'll adapt. Spent too much time looking at perfect workshops like the photos/videos of Paul's dream workshop. One day.....one day.... :)

Plan today is get things cleared and get working on the VW samba bus I have. Not too worried about getting it perfect, think I'll go for a tank or airplane next. Maybe a wee wander round wonderland models today isn't a bad idea
User avatar
DoubleDigit12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:48 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Scotland

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by DoubleDigit12 »

Hey rusty,
I'm a fellow scot living just outside the city. Good luck with you space problems and I'm sure you'll find something down at Wonderland Models.

Cheers,
James.
James
niro750
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:30 pm
Scotland

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by niro750 »

Hey , nice to see a few local folk about. I'm in Dunfermline, I built a shed recently and put in a small booth to extract outside. There is a small club in crossgates but haven't seen much else about over here near by except East Neuk club. Where you hiding gav.
Dragon64
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm
Scotland

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by Dragon64 »

welcome to ism, Nice to see a few scots on the forum. im a glasgow man myself. Its a good forum with lots of tips and help

Enjoy

Tommy
User avatar
jayjay1964
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Hello from Edinburgh

Post by jayjay1964 »

Welcome Neil, I am from Edinburgh too and have recently build a new man cave in a walk in cupboard 2m x 1.5m in size - used to use a huge garage but had to downsize and tbh its better laid out than the old garage set up. Ikea units and desk. Used to use dining table for years -although comments about paint fumes went over my head lol
Post Reply

Return to “Introductions”