Hello from Woodstock, Georgia

Introduce yourself to other forum members
Post Reply
dmiannay
Private
Private
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:09 pm
Location: Woodstock, GA (USA)

Hello from Woodstock, Georgia

Post by dmiannay »

Hey everyone! Just turned 60 a couple months ago and find myself within a year of retiring after nearly 35 years in the aerospace business. It's been an amazing run to this stage. I have a beautiful wife, two gorgeous daughters, and a new granddaughter that just turned 3 months old. I am a truly blessed man!

I did a lot of non-precision scale modeling when I was 8-14 years old, but when I noticed girls, my attention to hobbies definitely suffered. So, 45 years later, I'm back. I was bitten again after one on my kids bought me the 1:48 Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair for my 60th birthday. They knew that was one of my favorite WWII aircraft, and since my granddaughter's nickname for me (after she starts speaking) will be Pappy (based on Pappy Boyington), it was a perfect gift. While building the model I found myself needing to better understand some of the steps, and while researching online I stumbled upon ISM. After going through a lot of the information here, as well as many of the YouTube videos, it was clear these are amazing resources and I have MUCH to learn.

So, I'm all-in right now and trying to learn all I can. Experience is the best teacher, so I will next build the AirFix Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 while stepping through Paul's 13-part Aircraft Modelling Techniques video series. I know I don't have all the materials yet, but my H&S Infinity CRplus and Sparmax TC-620X arrived today, so I'm off to the races. I'm sure I will have quite a few questions, but I'll search exhaustively before posting since there's already a ton of info here.

Pleased to meet all of you and look forward to interacting in the days to come.

Doug
Doug
On the bench: 1:48 Tamiya F-16C/N Aggressor/Adversary; 1:35 Tamiya M4A3 Sherman 75mm
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Hello from Woodstock, Georgia

Post by Lee »

Welcome to ISM Doug :)
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Hello from Woodstock, Georgia

Post by Paul »

Welcome to ISM Doug, glad you found the videos useful :thumb2:
Scorebook702
Private
Private
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:15 pm
Location: McDonough, GA USA

Re: Hello from Woodstock, Georgia

Post by Scorebook702 »

Hey Doug,
Welcome to ISM. You will find a great group of folks here and a wealth of knowledge. Things have changed a lot since you and I have been away from the hobby. So many new products and techniques. Hope to see some of your work in the near future. Good luck and Happy Modeling.

John
John

On the Bench:
1/72nd Scale Hasegawa F-8E Crusader
Post Reply

Return to “Introductions”