Page 1 of 1

Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:06 am
by Oper8or
This isn't my first build recently, but my Tiger is at work on my desk. I'll get it uploaded soon.

This is the M4 Sherman I'm working on. It has a darker green than normal right now but I will lighten it up tomorrow night. I am using brushes right now and I will eventually get an air brush, but I'm not ready for that yet. I think its best I learn the basics with a brush and then move to something with more control. Anyway, I'm hoping to have it done by next week.

Oh, also this is the first time I have ever made an antenna using sprue. Its kind of neat doing that.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:49 pm
by Oper8or
No comments or critiques? Eh, i'll finish it soon.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:55 am
by CharleyGnarlyP290
Well, I will say this: That is one ripping paint job with a brush. I would have had a hideous mess painting with a brush. Splendid job so far.
What is the kit number on this one? I have always wanted to build a Sherman with direct vision ports covered by armor plates.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 am
by Oper8or
Thank you Charley. Its kit #190. It comes with stowage, the driver, radio operator, and commander. I'm not building figures yet. To far out of my league. The kit went together really well. No big gaps or issues. The only major thing I had to do was the side skirts in the rear were to long, so I had to file them down to meet the middle skirt correctly. Everything else went together really well.

I think I messed it up though. I bought some cheap matte clear and used it. Its frosted now. Its not really clear. I'll let it cure overnight and see how it comes out. I haven't found a good way of doing the clear yet without an airbrush. Rattle can is just not clear enough once it dries. It didn't loose any detail though. The other model I lost detail on because I used 2x coverage matte clear. It still turned out okay.

Anyway. I got the tools painted and then put the clear on. I'll start on the tracks tomorrow and get a wash on it. I only have one color wash so I make my own with Acrylic mixes that I dilute then rub it right away with a q-tip.

Again I cant thank you enough for your kind comments Charley.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:05 am
by DoubleDigit12
Hey man,
That's one swwweeeeeetttttt job with a brush mate!
Great work on the tank and adding that stowage would make it look alive!

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:38 am
by Coen
Whoa!!! That's brushed??!! Damn! That's excellent work, I'd say that you've certainly figured that basic skill out haha.
It will be interesting to see what you can do with an airbrush and master that basic skill.
Well done so far dude.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:49 pm
by Nige99
Great finish with a brush! Was it a flat brush?

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:58 pm
by wookiee76
Great finish and build, brush painting tends to get over looked these days.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:36 am
by Oper8or
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I haven't been able to work on it this weekend. We went out for the weekend and today I was stuck working on my Jeep. The mechanic I took it to re-installed the shifter cover wrong and it leaked all the fluid out over 3 weeks. Its my daily driver so I have to take care of it. Its old.. 89 Jeep Wrangler, but I like old. :)
Nige99 wrote:Great finish with a brush! Was it a flat brush?
Well I use a mixed method. I put on the primary coat with a large flat brush (1/2) and use a 4 to 1 with the paint. The rest of the coats are done with a 1/4 flat brush except on the turret. I use a #3 round brush. It takes a while but its worth it. I do take the large flat brush and dip it in water then use long brushing strokes over any work I've done. It helps to remove the brush marks.

My methods are odd, but they work for me. I'll try to post a vid on my youtube page to show how I do it. It'll have to wait until my next build though. I'm still learning and making my own methods for certain outcomes.

I kind of botched this one. The clear coat I used (rattlecan) really turned out bad. So I put a dirt wash on it, then run a darker green 1/4 mix wash over that. It seems to have helped but its still to light of a green now. Its frustrating.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 am
by Oper8or
Something I did forget to mention. All of the colors I use are custom. That is why its such a pain to match the paint I previously put on the tank.

All of my paints are $0.50 at Walmart. I've been experimenting with mixing this color with that color to get x. Then modify as needed. I got some really cool bottles from the last model meet in Knoxville. So I've started making larger batches when I find a color I like. I got the idea from a lot of you guys in your videos.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:27 am
by Mylightweight
It's looking great

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 am
by Oper8or
Well I think I got the model back in shape. I'll let you guys decide. I put a light wash on it (dirt brown coat) and ran a black wash in on the welds, seams, and bolt heads. The tools are done but the extras are not. I still have to mount the MG, stowage boxes, spare road wheels, spare tracks, and the crews baggage.

Anyway, here are the updated pictures. Enjoy!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:56 pm
by Mylightweight
Man that is some sweet brush work, my paint ain't that smooth with an airbrush!

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:29 pm
by Nige1940
Ditto the others Op that's one heck of a paint job for a brush !
The wash looks really nice on too , Awesome job bud !

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:24 am
by Oper8or
Thank you both for the kind words. I'm still learning! I keep browsing more and more on here and finding tricks I can use in my own way. Plus all the vids on youtube help out a lot. I just have to figure out a good way to do the tracks. I think I've figured something out using rattle can base and then brushing smaller amounts of paint, wash, paint, and wash again. Its a couple of extra steps but I think the tracks will be better than my other models.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 am
by Oper8or
I got some more finished tonight. I got the stowage bags, gas cans, and spare wheels painted. The MG is almost done. The oil cans need a little more work. The spare tracks need some more work as well. I've got everything mocked up on it for now, with the exception of the tracks.

The stowage bags are now on the turret. I'm trying to figure out where I want the gas cans. That is turning out to be the hardest part of the layout right now. If I were the radio man or the driver I would not want the gas cans laying on the front of the tank like they show in the picture. That would worry the crap outta me. So I think I'm going to put the gas and oil cans on the back panel and make it look like they are wedge to the rear intake port and tied down. I have an idea on making my own tie rope as well. I have some sewing string that looks like small braided rope. I might try that and tie it from rear lamp cover to rear lamp cover. The front might get the same treatment going from headlight cover to headlight cover. I thought about putting one of the crates in front and making it look like its tied to the spare track in the middle. I don't know yet. I'll figure it out but if you have any suggestions please say.

Anyway here are the updated pics.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thank you for checking them out!

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:49 am
by Oper8or
Well I changed the layout a little bit after doing some research. I've got all of the small parts done, the tracks are on, and all of the small parts are on the tank. I put the clear on it tonight, it will set and dry over night. There are still a couple of things to do, but its close to being finished. I need to put the mud/dirt on it. Hopefully I can get it finished by Wed night. I want to get this one finished so I can get another project going.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:29 am
by razzie43
Hi oper8or,5 years ago i was the same like you.(i brush all my tanks)
Now i can't miss my airbrush any more.It goes faster to paint,but to clean it its a hell!!
i have iwata HP plus! (if you ever wanna buy one i can recommend this one)

Now back to the model : u gonna use a weathering on it?

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 pm
by OliveDrab
Nice job on the Sherman, that's great paint work by brush :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:06 pm
by arkbuilder2012
Never would have guessed brush painted. Nice clean build too. Look forward to more photos.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:11 pm
by Sturm
Wow!!! You brushed painted that thing!!?? -Dies-

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:42 pm
by rodrant
Hi ,

saw your comment on to follow my Sherman build in the thread of the goodies that come from mail ... :-) , but that will take some time as I will have two Shermans and a Jeep and a Stuart ...well it is a 'crazy' project that I have ... :-)

Just to say that your build is just fantastic , and admire your great skils with the brush :jd: , others have mentioned that , it is beautifull !

I'm now following this build ! Promise that when I start mine will place a thread for the build that I'm thinking !

Chers mate !

:cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:58 am
by ahaleman
Like the other guys, the brush painting using cheap paint is just amazing.
This is proof that some people have a natural gift for this kind of hobby.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:12 am
by Oper8or
Thank you all for the kind words. It means a great deal to me. I've taken my time with them and tried my best. It seems to have paid off thus far. I am really enjoying the hobby and the people on here. It makes it more fun and worth while!

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:40 am
by Oper8or
I'm waiting for the weather to break so I can respray the matte. I had to do an olive rub on it to clean up the frost. I'll keep this updated until its done.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:07 pm
by Oper8or
Well the humidity is low, 79 F, and a light breeze today. So I'm respraying the clear. It looks like its working. I'll post pics after the clear dries. :)

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:31 pm
by Danta2er
Wow, repeating what everyone's said, the brush work is terrific. I also like the detail work on the stowage :clap:

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:47 pm
by Oper8or
Finally!!! I got it fixed and it is finished. I did not do any "hard mud" on it. I tried to make it look like it had been out for a short period of time with no action or damage. There isn't a great amount of detail compared to other models on here, but I am very happy with it. I learned some new things with sludges and soft pastels. So that is the bonus.

Here she is!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:57 am
by Nige99
Looks great, your olive drab on this is spot on. :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:24 am
by Oper8or
Thank you very much Nige! I did the best I could and matched it with the pictures I found on here and online. I'm very pleased with it! Out of the three I've done this is my best one by far. This one was a challenge with the clear but it was a learning experience and it was fun.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:32 am
by Coen
Looks very cool!
I love the way the wash worked on those musette bags. Looks excellent.
Nicely done.