Page 1 of 1

Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 pm
by Coen
Hey fellas,
I'm a bit late joining in this one, I had a lot on the go the last few months and have been building like mad and having tonnes of fun.
I've been taking part in lots of Buddy builds and ISM member SIGs but no ISM proper SIGs or gbs.
A sad state of things according to Paul.
I wasn't going to join this one either as I still have a lot on the go, but paulywog pestered me into joining in.
Not that I really need an excuse hahaha.
I saw what Paul did with his Beob Panther D by cyberhobby and I bought his extra kit from him to see what I could do with it. I also have a really unusual kit that I'll add to the mix that Forbes Hutton gave me some time ago with a post it note on it that read... "I DARE YOU!"
It's an RPM beobachtungswagen. An artillery observation vehicle based on a hotchkiss chassis I believe.
That kit was hell in a handbag.
As of now the beobwagen is built and waiting for paint along with a few figures that I added for the story. The panther is about 65% done and going together like a dream. What a beautiful kit!!!

So... For the build I started with the beobwagen. The thing was covered in mould release, seamlines, and flash.... No wonder Forbes thought it was a challenge. He's built this kit as well and has it posted here on the forum. It's certainly worth looking at.
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... tungswagen


Image

The sprues...

Image

The intructions are a bit italeriesk in the way that they use the sprue map to number the parts instead of numbering the parts on the sprues. Highly annoying!!!

Image
Image

Flash much?!?!

Image

A tonne of cleanup and it begins to take shape

Image

A few hours later it seems that things are improving... Or so I thought....

Image

Image

Ummm ... Hmmmm... Can we say fit issues...

Image
Image

I'll worry about the fit issue later. For now I'll detail the interior with a few bits from the spares bin.

Image

Image

Image

Now for the terrible fit of the armour plates. The triangular plate inserts were way off and I had to both use styrene card to shank the gaps and use the card to laminate it to the proper shape.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

After all the gaps were filled the plates needed resurfacing and blending so MrSurfacer to the rescue.

Image
Image
Image

Then a lot of sanding.

Image

Next I added a bit of wiring for the radios with some lead wire that I get from UMM-USA.

Image

Then the small details go on the exterior.

Image

Some stowage and one of the figures.

Image

Image

Another figure ready...

Image


And built and ready for paint. Still needs the antenna attached, but that's for later.

Image

Image

More figures added to the story...


Image
Image


That's it for the moment, I've started on the Panther D that will go with this as well and that I'll post later.




Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 pm
by ForbesHutton
HeHe!
You were warned. :doh:

Terrible kit but it makes such an interesting model. So many strange angles on it, photos don't do it justice. The overall shape reminds me of the Porsche 928 (a favorite):

Image

I really like the extra stowage and gas cans.

Didn't I send indy links? Or did you reach your masochist limits with the kit already?

I can't wait to see what you do with paint on it.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:52 pm
by Coen
I haven't seen any indie links bud.
Not like I'm looking to lose any more of my fragile mind haha. I think indie links at that size would do my head in nicely.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:58 pm
by ForbesHutton
Coen wrote:I haven't seen any indie links bud.
Not like I'm looking to lose any more of my fragile mind haha. I think indie links at that size would do my head in nicely.
I was sure I sent a box of indy links with it, looked like:

Image

Tiny things, smallest I've seen, would drive a watchmaker round the bend.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:08 pm
by chief5437
Cool looking vehicle Mike, I like it. Not sure I'd want to build it though, lol! You're doing a great job so far, good luck with the rest of it :thumb2:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:25 pm
by Coen
Thanks Chief... I'll take that luck ;)



ForbesHutton wrote:
Coen wrote:I haven't seen any indie links bud.
Not like I'm looking to lose any more of my fragile mind haha. I think indie links at that size would do my head in nicely.
I was sure I sent a box of indy links with it, looked like:

Image

Tiny things, smallest I've seen, would drive a watchmaker round the bend.
Ah yes... I do have those. I know just where they are too.
Of course now I'll have to try to build them thanks to you :wall:
Haha.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:01 am
by lucasner
As always, beautiful what you have done!

I actually kinda dig these problem kits...

Dave

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:12 am
by Nev
Great start dude! I feel your pain the kit I am building is much the same. Flash city and lots of fit issues. You will still make it look cooler though dude :thumb2:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:20 pm
by wappynutter
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cool so far Mike, nothing like a bit of reshaping to start a build off...
Kit looks nice to be fair, seen the Ambulance version too, that's different.. :whistle:
Continued success buddy.. :thumb1:
:cheers2:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 pm
by hansolo
Hi Coen,

Interesting model.
Talk about fitting issues! That's awful.
This looks more like a restoration and scratch building exercise than a new build. :wtf:

You did a great job on it though! You revived it! ;)

Looking forward to more.

cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm
by Coen
Thanks Han! :banana:
Coming from you that's a hell of a compliment :)

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:26 pm
by Nige99
That's one ugly vehicle Mike. But what you've done to it to fit right is AWESOME mate :th:
Love the figures and composition your doing.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:49 am
by Coen
I've changed it up quite a bit now Nige, I'll make a post about it later on. :th:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:39 am
by panzerman
Good job on a tough kit Michael. I'm doing the Marder I based on the same Lorraine chassis.
Love the additions you've made.....cool figures too. Happy Modeling.
Bill.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:21 pm
by Coen
Thanks Bill!
I've not seen a vid on it from you yet. I'd be interested in seeing you work your magic on it.
Out of curiosity... Is it an RPM kit? I'm just wondering how it built for you.

Quite a bit has happened since the last update. I've reset the layout for the vignette, finished the construction of the pieces, and nearly finished painting the vehicles.

This will be the final layout of the vignette now... At least until I start to build it and change my mind two more times. Haha.

Image

Image

Image

Here are the pieces with some stynlrez primer on them...

Image

Image

Then the base colour...

Image

And some post fading...

Image

Nothing special so far,... Camo paint, I decided that these will be in the same unit so they would have similar camo styles...

Image

At first I went with this for the beobachtungswagen but I disagreed it later...

Image


Image

Image

The wooden barrel for the Panther will be treated with the hairspray technique for its chipping.

Image

Image

Detail painting finished...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Now gloss coat and decals, a completely fictional unit...

Image

Image

Image

Image

And finally chipping...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image



Image

Image

Image


Next it will get all sealed under some Aqua gloss and the washes will start.



Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 pm
by ForbesHutton
I liked the paint and chipping.

You probably feel less like punching the RPM now that it has paint on it.

Not going to try the indy links?
<runs away>
Image

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 pm
by hansolo
Awesome work Mike!
I love that chipping and those camo's!

What do you use to give it that silky shine?
Is that a matt varnish? And do you give it that coat
just for protection or also for the shine?

Thanks!

Cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:26 pm
by Coen
ForbesHutton wrote:I liked the paint and chipping.

You probably feel less like punching the RPM now that it has paint on it.

Not going to try the indy links?
<runs away>
Image
It's wasn't that bad, there's still some wonkyness to the side plates that I don't like much, but it will do. I have a plan. ;)
As for the tracks... I tried a few.
Not a chance!! :eeek: :crazy:
Wow those were awesome haha.

hansolo wrote:Awesome work Mike!
I love that chipping and those camo's!

What do you use to give it that silky shine?
Is that a matt varnish? And do you give it that coat
just for protection or also for the shine?

Thanks!

Cheers
The glossiness is a bit of a byproduct of the AMMO paint, (is a semigloss paint) and the Aqua gloss that I put in the areas where the decals were to go. I'll aquagloss the whole thing tonight and it will be really shiny, then it will fade under the washes,
The final coat of Testors Dullcote will kill any shine in the end.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:35 pm
by hansolo
Aha. I see.
Sometimes I think my models are to matt because I don't use any coating.
Maybe I'll have to look into that.

Thanks! :th: :th:

cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 pm
by MarkVerploeg
Very nice builds so far
I have seen the small vehicle as a kit but never seen one pop up in a war time photo so it is a bit of a unknown vehicle for me
The Panther looks very nice and huge comparred to the other vehicle
I do need to warn you though
Kevin is walking around on your bench or do you have your own minions
In that case you must be evil , it says so in the movie trailer
They follow the biggest villain they can find :mrgreen:
Keep up the good work

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 am
by ForbesHutton
MarkVerploeg wrote:Very nice builds so far
I have seen the small vehicle as a kit but never seen one pop up in a war time photo so it is a bit of a unknown vehicle for me
The Panther looks very nice and huge comparred to the other vehicle
I do need to warn you though
Kevin is walking around on your bench or do you have your own minions
In that case you must be evil , it says so in the movie trailer
They follow the biggest villain they can find :mrgreen:
Keep up the good work
Image

Image

They must have been shy, they didn't pose for photos much.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 am
by MarkVerploeg
ForbesHutton wrote:
MarkVerploeg wrote:Very nice builds so far
I have seen the small vehicle as a kit but never seen one pop up in a war time photo so it is a bit of a unknown vehicle for me
The Panther looks very nice and huge comparred to the other vehicle
I do need to warn you though
Kevin is walking around on your bench or do you have your own minions
In that case you must be evil , it says so in the movie trailer
They follow the biggest villain they can find :mrgreen:
Keep up the good work
Image

Image

They must have been shy, they didn't pose for photos much.
Lol
I should have mentionned my average research time is about 5 minutes though
And my main intrest is aimed at late war vehicles
But they did excist i see
I have a few books on German vehicles but these are not mentionned in them

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 am
by Coen
You wouldn't need more than 5 minutes Mark... there isn't much to go on for these things.
I've hunted high and low for a few shots of the fighting compartment and haven't found diddly.
:(
It's a really weird and cool looking thing though.

Kevin is very helpful.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:32 pm
by Coen
Tonnes of work done last night.

Gloss coat ... Alclad Aqua gloss


Image

Image

Image


Then the Ultimate new Dark Dirt went on and came off.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Next the flat coat... Testors Dullcote this time. Dries fast and is lest tacky than Alclad flat.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Then I did the rust work... Dots of Windsor Newton burnt sienna dragged through with a turpenoid dampened wide brush.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Then the mud went on... At least the first layer. A mix of static grass, various brown pigments, Ultimate thinner, white glue, dark dirt and some concrete.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Next is more mud, but a different darker colour for a wetter look, then some pigment work.



Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 pm
by hansolo
I see K2 stands for Kevin 2. :lol:

cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:09 pm
by Coen
Ahahahaha!
I hadn't actually made that connection hahaha!

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:21 pm
by TheTroyster
I really appreciated the time you just spent on posting the weathering of the lower hull, I've turned my attention to that area of my own works, as I have neglected this area in the past, so it helps.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:58 am
by Coen
There's still more layers yet to go yet. Stay tuned then.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:40 am
by Coen
The next round of mud is the outer dryer texture layer.
Once the previous layer is dry, white glue thinned with water and a drop of dish soap s added to the surface.

White glue...

Image

Here is the hull dry...

Image

Then soaked with the white glue...

Image

Then a dry pigment mix is made from ground chalk pastels. In this case some raw umber and a tiny bit of burnt sienna mixed together...

Image

Then, with the tank on its side, I pick some up with a soft brush and tap it over the wet mud. It falls into the glue and sticks.

Image

Image

Image

I do the same with the wheels...

Image

Then I take a mix of much darker pigments and add it to some thinned white glue, only this time with more water so it's not as thick as the previous mixes. I take a stiff bristled brush with long bristles soaked with the mixture and flick it with my thumb or forefinger in an upward angle so that the mix spatters the hillsides.

Image

Image

Image

Image

I do the beobachtungswagen at the same time with the same materials so that they match.

Image

Here is what the mud/dirt looks like once dry...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Now I can install the wheels and tracks.

Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

It just needs the mud on the tracks.
First the beobachtungswagen ...

Image

Image

Then the Panther...

Image

Image

Finally a mock up for the vehicles on the dio to see of a larger base is needed...

Image


But that's for tomorrow,.

[youtube]OfkdnfQswAE[/youtube]





Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 am
by kiwigav
Nice Mud Mike :th: very useful photos for future reference cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:19 am
by felisbarcinonensis
:jd: :jd: :jd: Both vehicles look so realistic!!! Those mud effects are masterful!! :bow:: :bow:: :bow::

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm
by rodrant
Hi Mike !

Really like to watch the thread , some time that I did not visit the forum (I'm ashamed , yes :-)) , follow some pictures in FB only ...

The beobwagen is great , didn't know this vehicle ...and also the Panther is very nice ! Great Photos and incredible work mate !

oh like the minion also :-)

:cheers2:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 pm
by Coen
Thanks António! :)
I'm glad that you liked them.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:29 pm
by hansolo
That's some dirty vehics there Mike!
Just the way I like 'm! :thumb1:

cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:28 am
by Coen
Is there any other way?
Haha

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:35 am
by hansolo
Coen wrote:Is there any other way?
Haha
How wisely spoken. :bow::

B.t.w. Did you check out my Scout Car yet? http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=13923

cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:04 am
by Coen
I'm reading it now...
All that I can say is... :jd:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 am
by hansolo
Coen wrote:I'm reading it now...
All that I can say is... :jd:
Looking forward to your dio!
Finished mine yesterday.
Final reveals comming today. :banana:

Cheers

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:18 pm
by waynos
Absolutely stunning Work! I have learned so much reading your build threads!

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:05 pm
by OliveDrab
Looking great Mike, and as usual another modelling clinic for us to admire and learn from, keep it coming Dude :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 am
by Coen
felisbarcinonensis wrote::jd: :jd: :jd: Both vehicles look so realistic!!! Those mud effects are masterful!! :bow:: :bow:: :bow::


Thanks Felis, :)
:cheers2:

waynos wrote:Absolutely stunning Work! I have learned so much reading your build threads!


I'm glad that you find them useful Waynos. :)

OliveDrab wrote:Looking great Mike, and as usual another modelling clinic for us to admire and learn from, keep it coming Dude :th: :th:
:cheers2:


As long as it's of some use I'll keep posting them OD :)




Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:48 am
by Coen
Now that the vehicles are pretty much finished I moved on to finishing the figures and starting the work on the diorama. I'm off camping in a couple of days so I'm hoping to get a lot done before I go, otherwise I'll be planning crap for it while I'm gone.
It sucks sometimes to have an obsessive nature. :(


The figures were pretty much just in primer the last while. I hadn't touched them in ages now.

Image


My figures are just quicky jobs. I'm not much of a figure painter and I hate them to be honest. So... I cheat when I paint them.

I start with the skin.
Vallejo model colour Flat skin tone with a drop of red cadmium for the base colour.

Image

Then I start with the base colours for the uniforms. I know figure painters do things in dozens of thin layers of paint, slowly building up the colours etc.
But I have the patience of a three year old at christmas for that sort of thing. I just want them done. So One or two coats of paint and done.
:eeek:
I know... sacrilege.
Again... I'm not a figure painter.

Image

Image

Image

Once the large uniform parts are painted I tighten up the details with camo on the uniforms, eyes, hair, and eye brows, details of the equipment, any medals or badges, and clean up of any over painting.

Image

Image

Then I gloss coat them.

Image

Then I wash them.
Normally I'll do an oil wash at this point... burnt umber for the skin and lamp black for the uniforms and equipment, but I wanted to do an experiment this time.
I wanted to see if I could use the new formula of Ultimate Dark Dirt as a replacement for the black oils.
Normally it would take a day for that oil wash to dry before I could do anymore work, but if the Dark Dirt worked I could move on in less than an hour.
I also used a vallejo acrylic wash on the faces to see how well that worked.

Image

It seems to have worked out perfectly to my liking. Here they are with the dark dirt cleaned up.

Image

Image

Then they were drybrushed with some AMMO old wood for a dusty worn look.

Image

Image

Image

Next I flat coated them all and started mocking up the diorama. I ended up choosing to keep the original base. After a lot of messing about I got a layout that I'm happy with.

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I started work on the diorama this morning and I'm hoping to get most of the major work done before I go away.
More on that later though.






Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 am
by Coen
The final mock up of the diorama before painting begins.

Simple Das air dry modelling clay over the wood base with a layer of carpenters glue to hold it down. Then shaped to tell the story.
I added the rail tracks at the last minute instead of the fallen log I had originally planned. I turned the scene from a field scene to a roadway scene.
Then I added a few small stones pushed into the surface and various sands for texture. All held down with thinned white glue.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 am
by Coen
Totally plowed through this one right to the end.
I'm off for a few days with the family so I wanted this finished before I go and I succeeded. :)

After the base was completely dry it all got primed with crappy vallejo primer (all I use it for is priming dio bases)

ImageImage

I primed up some of the old man's beard that I use for bushes as well.

Image

Then I started with the base paints.

Image

Image

Image

Then I added the static grasses, grass tufts, grass tufts with flowers in them, and a few sticks made from rubberised horse hair.
Then I added the figures and vehicles, and dusted some pigments onto them and around the tracks.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

So that's all she wrote for now. I'm still not sure if I want to change it to a rainy scene or keep it the way that it is yet.
I'll take the week away to think on it. Either way, for the purposes of the SIG I'm calling her finished.
Here's the reveal thread.

http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 05&t=14132

:) Thanks for reading, I hop that it was useful.
:cheers2:







Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:55 pm
by Nige99
Another amazing piece of work Mike :clap: this is awesome mate. Great paint job on the armour and your figures are superb!!! Loads of detail to look at.

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:35 pm
by Coen
Thanks Nige :cheers2:

Re: Coen's Beobs

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 am
by gaz45
very nice work as always mate :th: