Page 1 of 1

Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:08 am
by Gonzo007
Hello

Well after reading last night about this 48 hour build I realized I had a kit that qualified for the build. I will be starting at 8pm Pacific time. Hopefully I have gotten all supplies I need to build this over the weekend. We will see how it turns out. I have not built a kit in 25 years and you couldn't call what I built back then well done.

So lets give this a go.

Work area cleaned up and ready

Image

Corsair kit

Image

Also thank you for all the great tutorials. I don't think I would have even tried doing this with out them.

Colin

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:10 am
by StuartClark
This is a great kit to start with, pretty well falls together.

Enjoy yourself!

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:58 am
by Gonzo007
So far I am enjoying the build. Got a bit of colour down tonight before bed. Will continue in the morning.

Image

Colin

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:57 am
by Gonzo007
Well after 48 hours it still looked like this

Image

I ended up not being able to work on it all Sunday do to other commitments

I still plane on finishing it. Spent the last few nights filling and sanding. Lots of missing panel lines but it will do.

Image

F4U as it sits now, after its first coat of primer. I am using Vallejo primer, and I need to attempt at sanding out some mistakes. So I will be letting it sit for a few days before trying to sand.

Colin

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 am
by Paul
Great progress, look forward to seeing more :thumb2:

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:34 pm
by Joesdad
Corsair's are great planes to build buddy, looking great
:cheers2:

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:53 pm
by AdamLuscombe
Looking great so far

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 pm
by Pauljames
Looks like along way to go .

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:24 am
by Gonzo007
I tried pre shading tonight. I have a lot to learn about how to use an airbrush correctly. Will be re priming tomorrow and trying it again. Plus will watch more videos about airbrush setup and usage.

Image

Colin

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:18 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Keep plugging away, you are doing fine
Make sure your spray flow is good into a paper towel or the like before bringing it to the model.
I would practice fine lines and swirls on cardboard to get the feel of things
You couldn't have picked a harder technique than panel lines that demand precise thin lines....luckily you can cover em up with paint
Keep going and posting the progress

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:53 am
by Gonzo007
Twokidsnosleep wrote:Keep plugging away, you are doing fine
Make sure your spray flow is good into a paper towel or the like before bringing it to the model.
I would practice fine lines and swirls on cardboard to get the feel of things
You couldn't have picked a harder technique than panel lines that demand precise thin lines....luckily you can cover em up with paint
Keep going and posting the progress
Pretty much what I figured. This was the first time I have tried to spray thin lines. Still having a hard time getting the pattern tight enough. Setup a bunch of card board and have been practicing.

Colin

Re: Colin's VJ Tamiya F4U-1D attempt Build

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:08 am
by niro750
You have done good work so far, I have not yet done an aircraft and im a beginner too... I bought an infinity airbrush with the adjuster at the back so you don't pull the trigger back too far, that coupled with a lower pressure lets you do some really fine lines.

Practice makes perfect and you had a good attempt and probably learned a good bit too