Revell Audi R8 1:24

Cars, trucks and bikes
Post Reply
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Hello all,
This is my very first modelling works in progress topic I open, so bear with me and give all the feedbacks.

Upon my daughter request, I've to move from airplanes to cars as she wants me to build an Audi R8...

This is the model I'm going to assemble:

Image

A bit of pictures... well taken from another website as I've already started the model, therefore some of the sprues are already empty or painted...

Image

Image

Image
This mask is going to be a nightmare for me to cut and properly glue....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


I started following the instructions, typical Revel layout, no much surprises over there. First thing to assemble is the engine, I'm showing some partial and the final results

Image

Image

Image
a bit out of focus unfortunately...

Next step is to install the engine on the lower chassis and start connecting the exhausts and the transmissions

Image

Image

Image

So far no big surprises, typical Revel quality, expect gaps, flesh and all the usual stuff you get with this brand

The metallic Vallejo stuff is superb, it makes a big difference!

Image

Until next.
Cheers,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Good work so far
I will follow long on the build
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by peppie »

Same here, I have this one also in my stash.
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Thanks, so far so good. Being the second time ever with a car I must say that I'm enjoying it.

Yesterday I made some progresses, I primed part of the inside, painted and assembled a bit more, here it comes:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Tonight I'll go for painting the cockpit, the seats and possibly the remaining of the inside.

Wait a moment... tonight the All Black are playing.... maybe I'll paint tomorrow :pop: :pop: :cheers2: :cheers2:
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by EasyEight96 »

Sweet looking R8 there looks very nice
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Hi Again,
Some progresses over the weekend, the Rugby World Cup is taking a bit of my time :pop: :pop: :cheers2: :cheers2:

I worked on the seats, pretty easy to assemble, 2 pieces and later I painted them according to my Daughter paint colour scheme:

Image

Image

I later moved into the front cockpit where I played with different tones of black, mate and gloss as well as use PVA on the screen to simulate the "glass" effect instead of applying the decal:

Image

Image

In the pictures above is still visible the PVA just applied. On the one below is visible the effect, I'm satisfied after all, note that the pictures are before the coat:

Image

Image

Image

I've later painted the details of the doors and finalised the interior. Most of the details are hand brushed. I've applied a coat of matt gloss (Tamiya can) and let it dry for a few hours:

Image

Image

Image

Last challenge for the weekend has been to work on the "net" (don't know the english name of it) to be applied to the bottom rear end of the car. You can either apply this net mask, by cutting the bigger mask given (the 4th picture at the very beginning of this thread), or apply a piece of plastic. I decided to go for the mask and glue it with PVA. Results after a few hours looked to be promising:

Image

Image

I'll now start to work on the rest of the model, which will require to work with the glasses, lots of priming and painting and hopefully not so much sanding...
Until next, as always all the comments and feedbacks are welcomes.
Cheers,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
Filmman586
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:53 pm
Location: Stratford, CT US
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Filmman586 »

Great work!
Lou

On The Bench: Revell '70 Chevelle
Under The Bench: Not sure yet...

My YouTube Channel

Image
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

Wow this is looking fantastic! You're doing a stella job on it.

I'm keenly following, well done!
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Absolutely
Loving that interior tub and dashboard
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

I'm back, a small update on the progresses.

I've started to work on the wind-shield and all the other glasses, first to clean:

Image

and later to mask them. This latter proves (as usual to me) to be a bit complicated and requires lots of patience. I'll post a picture once done.

I've primed the main body and the other exterior parts with black primer:

Image

Image

Painted some external masks and the brakes with the Vallejo metallic Silver:

Image

Image

Image

This latter external mask I'll have to tape it as the external grid has to be silver while the inside must be black, I've a very small masking tape, hope it will work, I'll post a picture when I'll do it in a day or so....

Finally I've painted the external body the Vallejo Metallic Gun Metallic grey. My daughter wanted the silver colour but I've pushed to have the same color as my father good old Audi 80 from the mid 80s, this is very personal to me :violin: :violin: (a bit of nostalgia...). She eventually accepted :th:

Image

Image

Image

As always these Vallejo metallic stuff sprays very nice and being acrylic is a big differentiator factor to me. Next step will be to use the metallic satin to give some protection to the paint.
Until next, as always, feedbacks and suggestions are more than welcome.
Cheer,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
Filmman586
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:53 pm
Location: Stratford, CT US
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Filmman586 »

Sweet!
Lou

On The Bench: Revell '70 Chevelle
Under The Bench: Not sure yet...

My YouTube Channel

Image
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Another update, coming from the previous week work. I've been a bit lazy to upload them at the different moments, this time I'll do it in one go.

It has been a lot of masking and painting more that assembling with lots of patience involved. My airbrush for some reasons had issues with pressure, I'd to clean it thoroughly with Turpentine even if I normally use acrylic.

First masking exercise has been on the front grid, I've used a very thin masking tape I took last year in Telford ISM show, very good stuff.

Image

and the result:

Image

Image

Image

I'm happy with it, even if is not perfect. But given my poor eyes and the efforts it took to mask it, I'm ok :)

Other masking exercise has been on the side of the external body:

Image

and the results, please note that the coat still has to be applied:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Other masking has been on one of the covers of the engine:

Image

and the result, painted with Vallejo Dark Aluminium metallic paint:

Image

Image

The last effort to report today has been to assemble the wheels and glue them:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


So for now I'm done, I'm getting there, I'm so far happy with the quality of the Revell kit again being the second time I assemble a car...

Until next, as always comments and questions are more than welcome.
Cheers,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Superb paintwork going on here
You are doing an awesome job :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Thanks! :bow::
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

I concur....brilliant job! What paints are you using?
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Homerlovesbeer wrote:I concur....brilliant job! What paints are you using?
Thanks Sir!

I'm mainly using the Vallejo Metallic colours in combination with the Tamiya clear. I've decided not to use the gloss to avoid a too strong glossy effect in combination with the metallic stuff. The one in the picture is the one I used for the main body paint, I used others for the engine and the smaller metallic parts

Image

Image

Cheers,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

A small update, I painted the windows and sprayed the clear matt on some parts.
I definitely need to get the new tamiya masking tape, that will be a boost on masking accuracy...
The airbrush is still struggling with the air pressure, I don't think is the compressor, I'll open a thread on the forum to ask for help.

Cheers,
Antonio

Image

Image
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Hi all,
Another update, the kit is slowly progressing, I'm not spending much time on the hobby lately, so not a big update, but is almost done. I think that in another 2 or 3 sessions I should be finished with it.

I've started decaling the final parts of the kit. The decals in general are ok in terms of handling and resilience but have lots of transparent edges that needs to be cut before applying them. I learned it in the hard way....

Image

Image

Image

Image

In this last picture is also visible the bay where the engine will be placed once I'll connect the two main parts of the kit.
It is also visible part of the clamping I'm using to set the air intake protection on the side of the car, next picture for more detail.

Image

I'm getting there, will post other pictures I suppose later this week.
Cheers,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Well, I finished it...

I must admit that I forgot to take pictures during the last sessions, as connecting the top part with the bottom has proven to be a pain down there and really stressful, I'd to redo things a couple of times, damaged few parts and so on.
All in all, I managed to recover a bit but it could have been much better in so many small details that I ruined. Either is me that I'm not used with the cars or this was really difficult.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Overall I enjoyed it, the quality of the kit is not bad, a part from the final fitting, but again maybe it's me not used with cars. To fit the left exhausts into the top of the car has been really difficult, I almost ruined it :bash:
Decals are ok, as well as the instructions, I decided to paint the external obviously with a different colour than what recommended.
Comments are welcome as always.
Cheers,
Antonio
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

Top job, she looks gorgeous!
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Absolutely , you did a great job :th:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
qeialto
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm
Location: UK, Berkshire

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by qeialto »

Thanks Mates
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

George S. Patton

Work in Progress:
AMT Klingon battle cruise

On the stash?
Better not to mention in case my wife subscribes to this forum...
User avatar
kiwigav
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am
Location: Nelson - New Zealand
New Zealand

Re: Revell Audi R8 1:24

Post by kiwigav »

Looking sweet mate :th:
Cheers Gav

On The Bench OK where do I start :wtf:
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”