Dewoitine D.520, LTD 1/48 scale
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:09 am
Hello, all!
I want to share my first limited-run injection kit build with you: the LTD 1/48 Dewoitine D.520. Yes, I now know that Tamiya makes a D.520 in that scale, too, but for $10 at Orange Con a couple weeks ago I was able to get this little kit.

The box is a simple one-piece, opening at the end, with a black-and-white picture of the scrappy French fighter defeating a Bf-109 in the Battle of France.
So, what's inside?


2 large and 1 small injection-molded sprues of parts, none labeled with a parts number. 2 vacuformed canopies and rear-view side windowpanes. A sandwich bag with crisply-printed decals. An instruction booklet. Hmmmm...probably not one to give to a grade-school kid just starting out...
What are the parts like? In a couple of words, flash-y, and heavily-molded.


How are the instructions? Well, the instructions cover two of the pages. That's it. Paint names and FS numbers are called out and clearly indicated on their parts. On the back are easy-to-follow diagrams for painting 3 different D.520s: two French and one Bulgarian aircraft.
The plastic itself is kind of soft, so I'll need to pay close attention when filing and sanding to keep from wrecking the shape or losing detail. Oh, and there are NO locating pins on these parts, either--the joy of a limited-run kit!


Duuuuuuuuude. That sprue placement.

Well, quit whining and get started!

A few minutes attention with a sharp knife blade and some files, and it's just about ready to go.

I want to share my first limited-run injection kit build with you: the LTD 1/48 Dewoitine D.520. Yes, I now know that Tamiya makes a D.520 in that scale, too, but for $10 at Orange Con a couple weeks ago I was able to get this little kit.

The box is a simple one-piece, opening at the end, with a black-and-white picture of the scrappy French fighter defeating a Bf-109 in the Battle of France.
So, what's inside?


2 large and 1 small injection-molded sprues of parts, none labeled with a parts number. 2 vacuformed canopies and rear-view side windowpanes. A sandwich bag with crisply-printed decals. An instruction booklet. Hmmmm...probably not one to give to a grade-school kid just starting out...
What are the parts like? In a couple of words, flash-y, and heavily-molded.


How are the instructions? Well, the instructions cover two of the pages. That's it. Paint names and FS numbers are called out and clearly indicated on their parts. On the back are easy-to-follow diagrams for painting 3 different D.520s: two French and one Bulgarian aircraft.
The plastic itself is kind of soft, so I'll need to pay close attention when filing and sanding to keep from wrecking the shape or losing detail. Oh, and there are NO locating pins on these parts, either--the joy of a limited-run kit!


Duuuuuuuuude. That sprue placement.

Well, quit whining and get started!

A few minutes attention with a sharp knife blade and some files, and it's just about ready to go.












