Page 1 of 1

Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:32 pm
by jgaudon34
Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc early version (Weekend) - OOB except for cockpit panel painted photo etch, painted with Tamiya Acrylics, XF81 : XF58 4:1, XF82 and XF83 straight from the bottle. Blue sticky tack for camo mask. Victory Productions Aces of the Empire decals. Future polish for gloss clear, the Alclad Matte for final seal.

This is Johnnie Johnson's first Mk IX EN398. (I have the Eduard Spitfire Mk IXc Mid Production kit and will be dong that in his later markings MK392)

I put the Green Maple Leaf on the left side and put the Red one on the right. All RCAF 416 Sdn (part of Johnson's Kenley Wing) had red Maple Leafs on both sides, but Johnnie is quoted as saying that he had them painted green aircraft for his heritage. I am thinking he got in on the left side and that is the one he saw all the time, and left the other one Red. But that is just me.

I have to find a better way to do panel lines, I tried enamel pin washes before, but this kit has many, many (hundreds ) of rivet holes. What I did for this one was use water and a little Vallejo model color black, with a touch of dish soap, and painted the surfaces with it, then wiped off with a slightly damp paper towel. It leaves too much residue that dries too fast, and I cant get it off. It leaves a somewhat nice weathering effect, but i am not a fan of it. I need a better way to do panel lines..
Suggestions? I thought I saw someone using Oil paints, but there were no reference to how to apply or wipe...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:11 pm
by Avgas
Nice. My Dad knew Johnny, not a man to take liberties with apparently and someone who spoke his mind!

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:18 pm
by jgaudon34
Thanks Dave, and yes, I have heard that about him too. There were a few not impressed with dealing with him. However, history has been mostly kind to his accomplishments. Everyone has their warts. :)

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:23 pm
by Avgas
I didn't mean it in a negative way, he was my sort of bloke, didn't play games or politics and told people what he thought. He co wrote a very good book called Wing Leader with Laddie Lucas, another famous WWII fighter pilot in which he tells it straight. I have a signed copy that will get passed on to my son when I grow my own wings.

By the way I don't know if you knew but he also had a 'contraband' unarmed Spit built out of crashed parts called 'JE Junior'. There was the normal reg of JE-J followed by a lower case j. Now that would be a good build.

You might be interested in this

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:33 am
by jgaudon34
Thanks, and no feathers ruffled here Avgas.
I was in the Army and can appreciate bloke who calls a spade a f(*&^ng shovel :)
To do what he did, to have the focus and concentration to be a warrior, and to lead men to the jaws of death, and become an AVM, he needed a brass set and some nerve. I like him actually. I read Laddies book, and also read a recent book Spitfire Ace of Aces, The Wartime Story of Johnnie Johnson by Dilip Sarkar. It really is an in depth look at his logbook with Johnnie filling in the pieces around the notations (and alot more) before he passed. I quite liked it.
Its what made me do this project actually.

I was aware of the "other JE J, interesting story.
Spitfire JE J jr was indeed cobbled from parts from wrecks and served as a squadron hack. Johnnie regular mount at the time was MK392, but jr was painted as MK329. I guess they thought that an A/C that looked like the already famous Johnnie Johnson was not to be trifled with, especially when they went on a beer run back to England. There is a set of Decals on the Victory Productions Aces of the Empires decal sheet for JE J jr and you can get a resin set of the beer barrels to mount as well. Should be quite easy project when you throw a Spit Mk IXe in the mix. THat decal sheet is what I used for this project, I just need the barrels.

Image

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:31 am
by Avgas
Nice find on the decals, didn't know about them. Italeri do that actual Spit with the kegs, it's supposed to be a good kit, Occidental mounds apparently.

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:54 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Superb build, well done
Love that camo paintwork

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:32 am
by mick
great work

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:35 am
by qeialto
Beautiful painting and finish, love it.
Regarding your question, have a look at this video, don't know if this is what you are looking for, I like it...



Cheers,
Antonio

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:11 pm
by herbies
I have the Eduard Royal Class edition which does the Spitfire with the beer barrels. Planning on doing that in hopefully the near future

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:05 pm
by Willem
Have built this kit in the later markings ( Johnson was an old boy at one of the schools I teach at).

Really beautiful job. Love it.

:cheers2:

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:33 pm
by Avgas
He was from Melton Mowbray if memory serves me correct.

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 pm
by Willem
Home of the finest pork pies known to mankind.

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:17 am
by Avgas
Nah, Albert Hirst's in Barnsley made the best pork pies in the known universe. Sadly now defunct.

Image

Re: Eduard 1/48 Mk IX Early Version - Weekend Edition - Johnnie Johnson

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:27 pm
by sprebound
Awesome!