canopy question

Post Reply
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

canopy question

Post by ToddS »

Hey guys

I be looking at pica for the up coming build. I notice that the rear portion of the canopy on the tigermeet bird is tinted.

Here is the question: How do I tint it?

Any help much appreciated :cheers2:
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
User avatar
Navcom
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: MN USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: canopy question

Post by Navcom »

Which model kit are you using?
Jeff
My scale model photography book...
http://www.scalephotography.com

MN Scale Modeler Virtual Museum
http://www.mnscalemodeler.net
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: canopy question

Post by Paul »

Tamiya smoke airbrushed in very high coats will work
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

Re: canopy question

Post by ToddS »

Building the Rebelled 1/72 2009 Tigermeet bird.

Never thought about airbrushing! Airbrush the inside of the canopy to preserve finish from masking?
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: canopy question

Post by Nige201980 »

I have heard that tinting Klear works just putting a couple of drops of paint in some klear and dip your canopy in.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
sheppy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 am
Location: Merseyside England
Great Britain

Re: canopy question

Post by sheppy »

Alclad 2 do a tinted canopy paint
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

Re: canopy question

Post by ToddS »

Dug thru my spares box. Found some old clear parts. Will try a couple of things and post results with actions taken..

Thanks for the suggestions and feed back. Now, come on 1-1-16
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

Re: canopy question

Post by ToddS »

Morinin folks,

Well I spent several hours yesterday playing with the clear tint thing. Tried coloring Klear, not the best results! As I was building up layers, to darken the color shade, it began to leave waves that could be seen. I am thinking that it was either, A) I should have waited maybe a day between applications, or B) Just not the best approach.

I then tried mixing up an oil wash. This MIGHT work, but, I think it would leave a thick coating on the part that would be easily removed by masking or any handling even with several Klear coats after.

I did find a video on YouTube by a guy building an E-6 Intruder, with their colored canopies. He mixed up a VERY VERY thin, mix of Tamiya Copper Metallic XF-6 with a touch of Tamiya Smoke X-19. He thinned this with straight 90% IPA. sprayed it from a fair distance, so as he put it "spray on dry coats to build up the color". I think that is the route I am going to attempt as well. I will post a pic of what I end up with, I still have the original spare canopy I was playing with to use..
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”