Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post Reply
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

My entry into the russain group build is;
AMG UAZ-452D 1/35 russain bus
Image
North star models Gaz-704 trailer
Image
ICM soviet army infantry Image
Hornet heads to replace icm figure heads i got all the russain types they made so i have enough for all the builds coming up
Image
Paints will be a mostly MIG Ammo paints

I hope too have this built as well as a BTR 70 or a BMP1. Lets hope i can get one if I'm lucky 2 finished :)
The trailer is on order along with the figures so the bus can get started with first
The aim of the build is too show the bus as an army transport towing a trailer of supplies. no specific area or time period has been picked so light weathering and some nice green fading
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

So too start off the sprue shots of the bus
This is a short run kit only 1000 made. The mould detail is not bad, very little flash which is very good. Not all parts have locations pins which could get tricky as it goes along. The kit has rubber tyres and a etc fret for the finer details. A good point i have noticed on the instructions is the option of etch or plastic parts so you don't have too see all the fiddly etch.
ImageImage
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

The instruction sheets. Nicely laid out and clear enough. I have a lot of reference pictures from the internet too help the build along. There is lots of different variants of this bus. They where used as police van's, ambulance's and then used as the russian hippy bus
Image[/URL[URL=http://s605.photobucket.com/user/timiva ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL[URL=http://s605.photobucket.com/user/timiva ... 7.jpg.html]Image
Here is a good idea of how I would like it too come out but with more weathering
Image
All the variants out there
Image
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
papatika
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Hungary

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by papatika »

Yeehaa! I've driven one of them, and it was a great fun! :D

I hope you'll enjoy the build the much I did driving it! :D

GL & HF
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by wappynutter »

Cool looking piece of kit Tim, looking forward to following the thread mate..
Good luck.. :thumb1:
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
User avatar
felisbarcinonensis
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: BCN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by felisbarcinonensis »

Love these retro designs :) Have fun with this build!
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

Thanks guys for the comments
So made a proper start on the kit
First things too note is the sprue have no numbers on them, second thing too note is the instructions do not tie up with he planned call out notes in the instructions third thing too note there is no number call out for the photo etch at all, all together this is going too be an interesting build and the instructions taken as a guide :think:

But putting that all to one side the build up so far has not been bad . everything lines up there is a little trimming on the locating areas as you would expect with short run kits.

Too start was the tyres and wheel hubs. the detail on the rubber tyres is really really good.Image

next up came the engine. Nice detail for an item you will never see as the cab is over the top of it ImageImage

After that came the chassis. This needed a lot of clamping too make sure it met the two parts every where too give the build the best base i could too build onImage

After that had dried off all the suspension can start being added and the engine glued in along with the transfer box, and the first parts of photo etch is starting to go on. The exhaust pipe was drilled out. I may think of adding some brake lines and fuel lines but its unlikely this will ever be turned over once built so i may not bother.
thats the progress for too nightImageImage
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
TheSmoo
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 pm
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by TheSmoo »

looks like an interesting build Tim, I'll be watching this thread with interest
peppie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:10 pm
Location: Boskoop Holland
Netherlands

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by peppie »

Yes, I love these cars. :banana: Never knew there was a kit, where did you find it?

Build looks good up to now, good luck with the rest :th:
Joined this forum to become a better modell builder. Now, if I can just put away my laptop and start building..

On the Bench:

Piper PA-18-150
Ford GPA
GMC cckw 1947
Ford V3000 "Bello"
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

Thanks Guys

I got the kit from hannants when we visited IPMS Telford show. Its not cheap nearly £40 but there seems too be no sign of it for sale on there site any more. They do sell the flat bed version still
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

Update time.
Good news is figures have arrived so I can make a start in getting them too fit.
I have spent the last few nights trying too work out what parts go where from the etch fret. The instructions images number call out and numbers on the etch fret are near pointless. They really are a rough guide. A good few times I have spent looking at images on Google, but that's not too say the kit is bad it's going together and it looks like it will all match up well.
I had fun making the fuel filler parts (forgot picture) bending too the right shape and finding sprue too use as the neck.
Engine cover and bulkhead are all fitted. Took a while to get it inter right place. The sides had too be made to fit first then it all held in placed and glued ImageImage

This is the top and sides just held in place so I can get an idea of size and where the roof will be compared to the figures
ImageImage

Tomorrow make seats and get start the figures
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Novorus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: Hertfordshire
Great Britain

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Novorus »

Nice looking build Tim, coming along. I think this maybe something of interest for me in a future build.
James
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZnEdt ... s3LTfQW4Eg Remember like, share and subscribe
Remember the 20th March 2020 is the Model Officer Mess birthday bash, come and join in."Fokker's Foe's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/217021638777483/
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

Cheers James
It's not any easy build but a good kit. Im looking forward too the next kit for the russian build th etrumpy BTR 70 should be a little more straight build out the box, with a few added extras
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

Got the seats made up, nothing too tricky but they did have flash and odd mould lines around them that needed tidying. For the seats mounts they supply you two small pieces of wire that are far to thin and far to short, so I went in the wire bag and found some appropriate size wire to cut up. I will need to build the legs of the figures too get the seats the correct height.
Image
I made a start on the front driver and he is going too need a knee chop too make him fit right. Lucky enough they won't be seen as this is the first figure I will need to do this too.
Image
This weekend will be build the figures
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
TomasGould
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:51 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by TomasGould »

Great work so far :)
Mr.T
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

Got a lot less done this weekend than I hoped.
Getting all the lags for the seats the right length and the same length for each seat took a lot of messing around
Image
But the time was worth it Image
As you can see I did make a start on he lower legs. I swapped around the front passenger for one of the rear passengers so I had too do less cutting too the front legs
Image
Only one leg needed cutting and bending.
Where as the driver is going too need a lot more work as both legs have been cut Image
It will need some putty added. Lucky enough there will be very little chance the legs will be seen again so the final finish is not that important but a good practice for future projects
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
User avatar
Timplastic
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 am
Location: French quarter
Contact:
UN

Re: Tim's little Russian bus UAZ-452D

Post by Timplastic »

So I've been bad and pushed this too one side while I got on with the yak
But now the trailer has arrived I got it built up nice and quick
Too remind you what it looks like
Image
In the bag, no box ! You get one sprue of plastic, small bit of resin, several red clear partisans 2 rubber tyresImage
It has the same feel as the main kit. Short run good detail but bad mould seams and edges.
So with a good clean up and test fitt, it dropped together quit well ImageImage
The stand for when the trailer is not being used only gives you option for not being used. So a little plastic was added.
The lower leaf springs fitted ok but the shaft that went threw did not fitt at all. Had too open the hole out and thin the shaft
After all that it went together well and will look good on the back of the bus.
I will put a tire and make some boxes then cover it in a tarp and tie it all downImage
I like to know what you think even if it is critique , If you spotted it let me know
Trying to finish what I started, and take part

My youtube channel that needs some updates
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQvLz ... subscriberImage
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”