1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post Reply
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Well I plan to be in the GB with this offer here.

Image

Picked up a while ago and plan to go OOB on it for a change. Still sealed so also going to try my hand at a unboxing video.
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

As I'm job hunting I hav'nt had a lot of time and have one project ahead of this.

Here is a quick video inbox review.

[youtube]mUkDgGAwL0g[/youtube]
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by TommyKillander »

Thanks Stuart for great inbox review.

I have this in my stash and have been eyeballing it for some time now... :D

:cheers2:
Tommy
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

TommyKillander wrote:Thanks Stuart for great inbox review.

I have this in my stash and have been eyeballing it for some time now... :D

:cheers2:
Tommy
Thank you for your comments, the videos are still a work in progress but I'm enjoying putting them together.
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Finally got some time to get this started.
First step is the cockpit area. Attached the cannon muzzle assembled to the front fuselage. I don't really know why they would not have molded this all in one piece.

Image


The top fuselage consists of two parts that assembles quite well. No filling was required for this section.

Image

Image

There is a small part at the part of the cockpit tut, that varies depending on what version you are building. Most unusual for a Tamiya kit there was a bit of filling required on the one side. A quick bit of CA glue to fill the gap and some sanding solved it in no time. I then started on the cockpit tub by glue on the throttle and flight stick. Both set of parts are now ready for some primer.

Image
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

A house move and full-time job hunting have kept me away from the hobby for far too long. Finally getting some time to get some more done on this. Even though the GB is past the completion date, I am still going to document the build.

Started working on the air intake. It's a 5 or 6 part assembly in which the inside part is surrounded by the outside portion of the inlet. In this way nasty seam lines on the inside are avoided.

On the outside there is a very tiny gap where the two halves glue together, at first I thought I had not trimmed enough from the inside pin, but the fill there was snug. Nothing that a bit of filler and sanding can't solve. Also had a chance to try the bottle of Tamiya surface primer I pick up a month or so ago. Very similar to Mr Surfacer without the harsh smell. Dried and sanded quite well.

Image

After this there will be more fuselage assembly then onto the landing gear which looks like it could be challenging.
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

A bit more work on it including a video!

[youtube]WtOzDgDir7k[/youtube]

Got the fuselage to a point where it is ready for paint. Masked off the cockpit and gear wells and will start with primer tomorrow.

Image

Image
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

I've managed to carve some time out to get the F16 primed and the 1st 2 colors sprayed on. I'm using Tamiya mixed with Ultimate thinner and as usual, it goes on with no fuss.

Primed.

Image

Lower and 1st upper color put on.

Image

I'll give it a good 24 hours to dry before masking the area around the tail and just behind the canopy for the final color.
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Last color put on tonight. Since it is a bank holiday weekend in Canada I'll have an extra day to try and get some more done. Next up will be masking for the nose. I'll then start to work on the canopy masking. I guess I should decide if the canopy will be open or closed.

Image
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

A bit more progress well listening/watching the 48 hour hangout this weekend.

Got the nose cone painted. There is a great deal of debate online about the correct color, in the end I mixed my own using Tamiya, 2 parts XF 53, neutral gray. 1 part XF 83 medium sea gray. This was the result.

Image

Attached it and the jet exhaust and this is how it is looking.

Image

Will clear coat next and work on weathering and the landing gear assembly.
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Been working on this off and on over the next little bit. Got 2 coats of Aqua gloss prior to weathering with some Ultimate washes and GW inks.

I decided to keep the weathering subtle this time as this is a Squadron Leaders aircraft at a Tiger meet so I figured they would have cleaned it up a bit before going.

Going to give it 24 hours before putting on one more gloss coat prior to decals. The ejection seat which goes in near the end of the build is being detailed as well. Still some dry brushing to go to pop out some of the details. I found some photo etch seat belts which give it some depth as well.


Also started the painting of the canopy edges, since masking is my 'favorite' thing I'm trying this free hand. It will need a second coat but I managed to keep between the lines.

This weekend will be decalling, putting the seat and canopy on, and then working on the landing gear.

Image

Image
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Decaling has begun!
I am also trying the Tamiya Mark Fit decal setting solution for the first time. So far so good, and I like the non-tip bottle.

Image

Image

I swear I'm not getting older, but these 1/72 decals are getting smaller!
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Decaling finished, now onto to the very fiddly landing gear.

The one part I'm not looking forward to is A18 and A19. This comprises the fuselage just in front of the landing gear bay and the space between the two read landing gear. I can tell it's going to be a bugger to fit well. I would do this part differently next time....

Image

Image
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
StuartClark
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 am
Location: Ontario Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by StuartClark »

Calling this one done. And it's a nice feeling after a very challenging year to have something done.

Finished up by putting the (very small) landing gear together and attaching the doors. Then added a coat of anti-shine and it looks good.

Image

Image

Image

(I also have to dig out some space to get a photo booth set back up.)

Not a bad build at all but it did reinforce that I have to get my glasses prescription upgraded. I still have quite a few 72nd scale kits in the stash but probably will look at a larger scale for newer purchases. The issue will be where to display them when they are built.
Stuart
Scale Model Podcast - http://scalemodelpodcast.com/
Blackfire Hobbies and Games - http://blackfire.ca/
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: 1/72 Tamiya F-16 CJ Block 50

Post by TommyKillander »

Thats a great looking model. Well done! :thumb2:

Cheers
:cheers2:
Tommy
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”