Page 1 of 1

Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:17 am
by aur0ra145
Howdy,

I like to listen to audiobooks when doing just about anything, working out, driving, cycling, making models, etc. During my first build since I was a kid I listened to Jurassic Park. Excellent book. Audible suggested I listen to The Hunter Killers, as I like military books. Oh my word, the Wild Weasels were some of the bravest, craziest pilots and FO's to ever exist. So, when I went to my local hobby shop and saw a F-105, I had to buy it. Even though I got a F-105D, the single-seat non-weasel Thud, I figured it'd be a good test bed for my first foray into 1/48 and jet aircraft. Eventually I plan on finding and building a F-100F, F-105F/G, A-6B, F-4 and EA-18G. In honor of those Weasels. What a way to make a living, maybe they'll let me do it too.

I opened the kit and found a rather detailed model with a detailed cockpit that I'm not normally used to with my 1/72 WWII fighters I've been building. To say the least, I was a bit apprehensive about starting it, thinking I'd much it up. After several hours, watching several episodes of Battlestar Gallactica and make some rather tasty burgers for lunch I had this.

Image

It turned out WAY better than I thought it would. :banana:

The halves of the fuselage did not match up well and I noticed a lot of issues with parts of the model not lining up, or being off. We'll see how it goes. The model is currently sitting in a couple of vices, close pins, zip ties and other assortments to get this thing together.

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm
by Avgas
Pit certainly looks good. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:35 am
by aur0ra145
Got the wings put together. Then realized the tip of one was warped and that I had neglected to paint the intakes. Oh well. The leading edges needed to be puttied and filed as well. This kit is starting to wear me out. The wing roots will have gaps on the tops and bottoms. Hurray.

Also, hand painted the exhaust and tried my hand at rescribing the engine leafs(?) and making rivet marks.

In other news, I finished my first model I've ever done as an adult. Turned out alright, though any pointers on canopy painting/masking would be greatly appreciated. http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16311 I also sprayed the camo on the second model I've ever done, an Academy P-40E. I had a very difficult time getting some of the paints properly thinned. For the Thud I'm going to try Acrylics for the first time. The intakes sprayed well enough, hopefully the rest of it is that way.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:04 am
by liamconnor15
Looking good can't wait to see it finished :)

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:36 pm
by aur0ra145
Howdy,

Ended up not getting as much done over the end of last week and the weekend. Uncle Sam saw it fit to subject me to gravity torture. I honestly hope to never be subject to that again. Anyways, the Thud got its canopy put on. Without masking tape... So I had a bit of a fun time rectifying that. Then I got the wings put on. Seams on the body kind of sucked, but the Tamiya putty I'm using turned out well. Time for primer!

Image

Image

I also started on the ordnance. I have never put together bombs and stuff before, so this will be new to me.

Image

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:22 am
by aur0ra145
After having some issues with the canopy staying attached I got to prime the whole plane and did some pre-shading. Mixing the paint to get a good light gray color was hard. I think I used nearly my whole tin of paint getting it right. Also got to paint all the ordnance and nose cone. One question on the ordnance. Is there a good technique for painting the stripes on the bombs?

Tomorrow, I should be able to finish the camouflage. Also, I picked up a Mig-21 for the group build. I'm excited to start that one.

Image

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:06 am
by aur0ra145
Howdy,

Finally worked up the courage to paint the Thud. I was terrified of doing a bad job. Turned out rather well. Now I just need to not that geezer from down the road up the decals and/or weather. What clear coat do you use over Tamiya acrylics to place decals? I'm scared to death that I'm going to screw it up some how.

As for the paint job. I looked at several pictures of real F-105's and just came up with my own pattern. I'm partial to desert or tan colors so I really had to limit myself using that color.

Cheers!

Image

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 am
by Avgas
Alclad Aqua Gloss is what you want for a gloss coat.

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:59 am
by aur0ra145
And we're back!

Took some time off of this build to finish a M6A1 and start my entry for the group build.

Anyways, I got the decals on and finished up on the ordnance. Should be getting the weathering done here in a couple of days!

Image

Image

Image

I'm excited to finish up this build. It's coming together wayyyy better than I had expected!

Cheers!

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:41 am
by F4u
Very nice looking T-Stick and the paint is looking good.

Guy

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:59 am
by aur0ra145
Painted the wheels for this ugly mother and clear coated the Thud. I'll get to weathering tomorrow, then final assembly. Damn I'm excited! A little song about the Thud for your enjoyment.

[youtube]qCALL8my0k8[/youtube]

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:43 am
by aur0ra145
IT'S FINALLY FINISHED! and I Love it

First, I'd like to thank everyone here. Ya'll have helped me out so much learning about this whole modelling thing. I'd like to especially thank Pual. His how-to videos really helped me get started. This community has been awesome. So many newbro questions have been answered by ya'll when I had no idea what I was doing. Thank you.

So, the build. It was a long time building. Honestly, I started and finished a few other builds while putting this together to test techniques and get better at a few things. Namely airbrushing and decals.

The F-105D Thunderchief was the workhorse of USAF tactical bombing during the Vietnam war. Originally designed as a high speed, low altitude nuclear delivery bomber it was not intended for conventional use. Thankfully the designers left in a few of the more conventional things. Namely the gun and a cockpit that was laid out to help the pilot. With only 833 aircraft produced 382 were lost in combat with an additional 62 lost to operational issues like training. Though the aircraft was used primarily in a ground attack role. The Thud as it became known accounted for over 27 Mig shoot downs over Vietnam. Only 30 F-105D's received the Thunderstick II modification and none saw combat in Vietnam. But... This was the only F-105 kit this young fledgling modeller could find.

The book The Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton really turned me on to just what the F-105 did in Vietnam. Those guys who climbed in a Thud everyday to go trolling around North Vietnam are heroes.

So pictures!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I kind of messed up paint the rings on the bombs. I'll get it one day. As always, comments, suggestions, critiques and accolades are appreciated.

Cheers!

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 am
by Stokesy44
That's a fine looking Thud Sir. I made the 2 seat wild weasel variant years and years ago and your little beauty brings it all back.

Excellent stuff, well done.

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:45 am
by PrivateMansoor
Well done mate. Looks goood!

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:59 am
by SMAddict66
Nice work. Lovely Thud.

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:44 pm
by Elve1984
Nice looking Thud

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:43 pm
by Avgas
Lovely job, well done!

Re: Revell 1/48 F-105D T-Stick II

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:09 am
by rwsmith14
NICE !! camo looks great !!