Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Sturm
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am
Location: California,USA
United States of America

Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Sturm »

I have been using Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement for awhile and noticed that it does not adhere properly. It take a ton of amount to get the parts to stick ( no pun intended ) and takes awhile to dry.My Testors and Hornby cements work a bit better.
Just wondering if any of you have the same problem,or did I just get a defective product?



Image
"Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by ForbesHutton »

Are you attaching the parts and then touching the brush to the joint and letting the capillary action get it into place?

If you brush it on to one or both of the surfaces and then join then, most of it will have evaporated in a couple of seconds, before you can get the parts together.
Image
User avatar
Sturm
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am
Location: California,USA
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Sturm »

ForbesHutton wrote:Are you attaching the parts and then touching the brush to the joint and letting the capillary action get it into place?

If you brush it on to one or both of the surfaces and then join then, most of it will have evaporated in a couple of seconds, before you can get the parts together.


Well I tried that, it worked. :roll: Who buys a product and does not know how to use it? Idiot :bash:
Thanks for the intructions mate, better delete this post before I suffer anymore humiliation :P
"Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by ForbesHutton »

Don't worry. Putting the parts together, then gluing is counter to the way everyone does it, right up until they get TET.
Image
User avatar
CharleyGnarlyP290
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 am
Location: California
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by CharleyGnarlyP290 »

Glad you got it figured out. This just goes to show that multiple tools are needed for modelling. I love the Tamiya Extra Thin and have always had great results with it, but sometimes something a bit thicker is needed, like the Testors in the black container with the long metal applicator needle. That one is handy if I need to apply the cement then affix the part... especially if I need to adjust it a bit.
User avatar
bluebottle
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: Merseyside Uk
England

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by bluebottle »

Tamiya also do a regular consistency if Extra thin doesn't work for you....
WIP: Monogram 1/48 F-104C,Eduard 1/48 FAA Hellcat,Hasegawa1/48 RF-4E
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Avgas »

Normal Tam glue with the white top is pretty good if you need time to put parts together. Same bottle asTET but white top.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Sturm
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am
Location: California,USA
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Sturm »

Thanks for all the tips!
"Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."
User avatar
Plopper
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Plopper »

I'm going to have to try the white top one then as I can't get used to the extra thin, it's just too fast for my old hands to handle!
Your Ever Game Gamer.

Dave.
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Stokesy44 »

TET is the greatest invention since Women! :jd:

I use it almost exclusively, save for PE and canopies. I've been using it on my 1/72 Revell Fine Moulds Millennium Falcon (yes, the 900 parts one) and I tell you, I've just finished the upper engine deck and if I hadn't used TET, my hands would be stuck to the kit by now and the kit would be stuck to my face!!!!
:bash: :bash: :pistols: :crazy:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
hockeyfan2013
Private
Private
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 am
Location: El Paso, Texas
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by hockeyfan2013 »

I've been using Tamiya extra thin cement for the last two years and I haven't had any problems with parts not sticking together.
I would highly recommended this product to anyone .
User avatar
RoscoRSA
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by RoscoRSA »

I have been using the "normal" Extra Thin religiously since I restarted this hobby about 2 years ago (I already finished 1 bottle, and have already started my second) BUT I recently got my hands on this:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87182/index.htm

The Quick setting Tamiya extra thin is powerful to a degree that I have never seen before.
On the bench:

Tamiya 1:48 MIG-15

On Hold
Academy 1:48 F-86 Saber
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I was using it wrong, thanks for the tips!!!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by Stokesy44 »

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up Tamiya Extra Thin.
Image
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Sturm
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am
Location: California,USA
United States of America

Re: UPDATE

Post by Sturm »

Okay so I had another go at Tamiya Extra Thin again this time using the capillary action. Unfortunately this didn't work either, I decided to check if the Tamiya plastic on my Hetzer was the problem so I tested it on a scrap piece of revell plastic. Same results, the parts would not adhere and would easily snap off. This is proving to be a problem as I'm at the track assembly stage on my Hetzer. Tracks are constantly breaking off, I'm having to use large amounts of cement and it looks awful. I know you guys worship TET but it seems to hate me. :scratch:: Like I said perhaps I got a defective product, I think I'll try Tamiya's normal cement and see how it works out.
"Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: UPDATE

Post by digger303 »

Sturm wrote:Okay so I had another go at Tamiya Extra Thin again this time using the capillary action. Unfortunately this didn't work either, I decided to check if the Tamiya plastic on my Hetzer was the problem so I tested it on a scrap piece of revell plastic. Same results, the parts would not adhere and would easily snap off. This is proving to be a problem as I'm at the track assembly stage on my Hetzer. Tracks are constantly breaking off, I'm having to use large amounts of cement and it looks awful. I know you guys worship TET but it seems to hate me. :scratch:: Like I said perhaps I got a defective product, I think I'll try Tamiya's normal cement and see how it works out.

Any possibility it was contaminated with something else.....I have a bottle like that. That I received from an ex modeler and it has actually color. I have used it and It doesn't seem to be quiet as good as my stuff.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

Post by wookiee76 »

Use a slower setting glue like revell contacta for tracks as the tet sets too quickly to be able to shape them round the sprocket etc.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
User avatar
Sturm
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am
Location: California,USA
United States of America

Re: UPDATE

Post by Sturm »

digger303 wrote: Any possibility it was contaminated with something else.....I have a bottle like that. That I received from an ex modeler and it has actually color. I have used it and It doesn't seem to be quiet as good as my stuff.

It might be contaminated with something however it has not colored. It's all clear liquid like it should be. If it is contaminated I have no idea what would have caused it.
"Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”