Page 1 of 1

Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:40 am
by EasyEight96
This will be my first entry for the group build I'll be uploading the photos later. I've taken the inbox earlier but haven't got around to build so stay tuned :th:

Here's some info on the Honda
The Honda RA272 was a Formula One racing car used by the Honda team in the 1965 Formula One season.

A successor to the Honda RA271, the RA272 was noticeable mainly for its technically advanced (though rather wide and heavy) 48-valve 1,495.28 cc V12 engine (58.1 x 47.0 mm), a water-cooled, transversely mounted unit which reportedly gave 230 bhp (170 kW) at 13,000 rpm.[1] The engine was safe to 14,000 rpm, which was unusually high for a 1960s engine design. The Honda V12 had staggering acceleration and often led the race into the opening lap after leaving the stationary starting grid. It led the 1965 Mexican Grand Prix from start to finish, driven by Richie Ginther, making it the first Japanese car to win a Formula One Grand Prix.

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:38 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Cool kit, have it in the stash...somewhere
What is up with this sudden car GB???????
I am eyeballs deep in my Ferrari F40 already :doh:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:48 am
by EasyEight96
So here is my inbox as promised

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:55 am
by EasyEight96
Had a little spare time so I assembled the engine and the suspension arms sorry if it is very minor hopefully I can get it done a bit during the weekends
Image

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:17 am
by Twokidsnosleep
You are doing fine, but hurry as the GB ends July31st ;)
Take your time and pick away, just show lots of pictures as you go
:cheers2:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:02 am
by EasyEight96
Twokidsnosleep wrote:You are doing fine, but hurry as the GB ends July31st ;)
Take your time and pick away, just show lots of pictures as you go
:cheers2:
thanks man for still following :cheers2: I got a few build that I badly needed to be done by March so the Honda will be a bit slow but since it is till July I will have plenty of time as my holiday start in May till Aug

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:00 pm
by pg265
Hi,

I LOVE that car!!
Great choice, can't wait to see more!
The Tamiya kit is very beautiful and the ZP racing white is perfect.

Pascal

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:57 pm
by newpapajack
The golden age of motorsport. Awesome machine, can' wait to see what you do with it :thumb1:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:13 pm
by EasyEight96
Hi its been a while now with finals done I'm back on the build.

Here's what I've done so far on the Honda
Engine
Last night I prep it up for painting
Image

and today I gave it a coat of grey primer left it to set and then later I painted it up all together
Image

I then started the assembly of the engine sorry no pics of it being build totally forgotten :ooops:
So...

Here's the engine completed I'm very satisfied with the result
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Next up is the cockpit body
here is it all prep up
Image

Image

Will update more frequent now so do drop by to see more updates :D

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:34 pm
by Lysus
Dunno how I never came across this yet, I love these Hondas. Superb engine build!

:pop:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:38 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Image

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:05 pm
by 4SHEEZEE
Looks amazing :bow::

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:06 pm
by EasyEight96
As promised here's the next update
Body

So continuing from yesterday I primed it up in the morning and I then continued the paintjob later in the afternoon

Image

Image

The body paint was the longest to paint as it was very thin. I decanned it from the can.

Image

With the paint booth it really cuts down the fumes I normally smell in the room too
Image

Once it was done I left it do dry and continued
First up the brake disc
Image

The chassis then was painted with mixture of enamel and acrylics and assembled with remaining bits. I then weathered it a bit
Image

Image

Image

Then came the assembly the cockpit very simple and straight forward. I gave it wash on the seats and the radiator
Image

Image

Image

Next up was the wheels I really liked the detail of the rims
Image

and the last bit was the dashboard and steering
Image

Image

So with that done I prep up the remaining parts for the next paint session
Image

Image

Thats all for today's update cheers :cheers2:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:09 pm
by Lysus
Image

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm
by EasyEight96
So the Final update
Final Assembly

I primed out the remaining parts today and later in the afternoon painted up the parts
Image

Once it was done then it was decalling time my favourite
Image

After the decals have settle down properly it was then to the clear coat department I'm using the decaned Ts-13 clear from tamiya
Image

I gave it 3 coats of clear and leave it to dry
Image

While it was drying I started to piece of the remaining parts of the honda
Image

Then it was giving the body a nice shinny polish
Image

Image

Image

then I went back to assembling again
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Almost there with the car is now on its wheels
Image

Image

Then it was to finish up the side mirrors, attaching the backplates and glueing the windscreen.
So here after 4 days of work here is the final result I'm very proud of finishing this car as it was a new challenge compare to building military

Image
Image
Image

Thanks for the guys who is still following this thread you hop on to the final reveal thread for more pictures the car.

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:36 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Oh this is superb mate :clap: :thumb1: :th: :thumb2:
Great polish to the paintwork and engine detail and basically everything!!
Love it :banana:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:42 pm
by EasyEight96
Twokidsnosleep wrote:Oh this is superb mate :clap: :thumb1: :th: :thumb2:
Great polish to the paintwork and engine detail and basically everything!!
Love it :banana:
Thanks man for the support :cheers2:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
EasyEight96 wrote:
Twokidsnosleep wrote:Oh this is superb mate :clap: :thumb1: :th: :thumb2:
Great polish to the paintwork and engine detail and basically everything!!
Love it :banana:
Thanks man for the support :cheers2:
Hey no worries, and nice new avatar...see we made a car builder out of you :D
You should be really proud of this build

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:06 pm
by Lysus
This is without a doubt one of my favorite builds and one of my favorite cars. If ever you took beauty shots of it I'd be hard pressed not to print one out and frame it.

Top job, sir.

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm
by Tay99
Nice finish. :th:

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:52 am
by EasyEight96
Lysus wrote:This is without a doubt one of my favorite builds and one of my favorite cars. If ever you took beauty shots of it I'd be hard pressed not to print one out and frame it.

Top job, sir.
Thanks :D I'll see if the weather is good today and I'll take some outdoor pics I'm not that good at using my Nikon so yeah...

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:55 am
by EasyEight96
Twokidsnosleep wrote:
EasyEight96 wrote:
Twokidsnosleep wrote:Oh this is superb mate :clap: :thumb1: :th: :thumb2:
Great polish to the paintwork and engine detail and basically everything!!
Love it :banana:
Thanks man for the support :cheers2:
Hey no worries, and nice new avatar...see we made a car builder out of you :D
You should be really proud of this build
Yup you guys made me into a car builder lol hahahahha :nena: :tongue:
I'm very proud of this build hopefully this build could help me in my next one I'll upload it soon. The Benetton kit is being a poo so I'm putting it a side first

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:46 am
by EasyEight96
Here is the link to my reveal I've added more photos today much brighter ones compared to yesterdays
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 61#p223561

Image

Image

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:49 pm
by Kevthemodeller
60's racing cars I just love them :th: I know they were death traps in a crash and the cars today are better but they just look like cars not planes with wheels.

Re: Honda RA272 Mexico Grand Prix Winner

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:28 pm
by EasyEight96
Kevthemodeller wrote:60's racing cars I just love them :th: I know they were death traps in a crash and the cars today are better but they just look like cars not planes with wheels.
Ya it was extremely dangerous but at least the design of each cars are unique unlike the current ones