Page 1 of 1
Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:09 am
by MichaelHoffman
As I look upon the many fine builds, I noticed that most models are of Armour or Aircraft. With the exception of Roland's Zvezda 1/350 Battleship "Knyaz Suvorov", I noticed that Russian naval wessels are lacking in representation. So.. without further adieu, here is my submittal into my first group build of any kind.
Here is a Photobucket album of the kit.
http://s641.photobucket.com/user/Gothmog1960/slideshow/
Details:
The Udaloy I class are a series of anti-submarine destroyers built for the Soviet Navy, eight of which are currently in service with the Russian Navy. The Russian designation is Project 1155 Fregat (Frigate bird). Twelve ships were built between 1980 and 1991, while a thirteenth ship built to a modified design as the Udaloy II class followed in 1999. They complement the Sovremennyy-class destroyer in anti-aircraft warfare and anti-surface warfare operations. The Project 1155 dates to the 1970s when it was concluded that it was too costly to build large-displacement, multi-role combatants. The concept of a specialized surface ship was developed by Soviet designers. Two different types of warships were laid down which were designed by the Severnoye Design Bureau: Project 956 destroyer and Project 1155 large anti-submarine ship. The Udaloy class are generally considered the Soviet equivalent of the American Spruance-class destroyers. There are variations in SAM and air search radar among units of the class. Based on the Krivak class, the emphasis on anti-submarine warfare (ASW) left these ships with limited anti-surface and anti-air capabilities.
This is a very nice kit, it is molded in grey, red and clear parts. The molding is crisp with very little to no flash. I found it unusual that the red hull parts are translucent, I do not know if this is normal for Trumpeter kits. The kit includes clear parts for both helecopters, and a sprue of clear windows. The kit does supply a fret of photo etch, but I decided to buy the Trumpeter photo etch for this kit. I have decided to push myself to the limit on this build. I will be trying new techniques, and methods of construction and weathering. With all the clear parts this kit is begging to be lit. I decided that I would do a diorama of the Udaloy punching through the waves at night, with cabin and bridge lights. I will not be using the helo's or underwater parts, as this one will be elevated and maneuvering through a major swell.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:13 pm
by MichaelHoffman
Construction has begun. Since this is going to be lit, I have drilled the hull, 60 port holes not that bad. I have not decided if i'm going to go with ambient or fiber optics for these lights.
20160130_030502.jpg
20160130_035516.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:59 am
by MichaelHoffman
Well after working 80 - 90 hours a week for the last month, I finally get to sit down and work on the Udaloy. Doors, Doors, and more Doors.
20160218_095330.jpg
This tool was very useful, and saved a lot of blood.
20160218_102914.jpg
Next, time to pull out the A/B and spray some paint.
20160218_115535.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:05 am
by Homerlovesbeer
wow this is a cool build! Photo etch overload

Keep the updates coming

Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:20 am
by rwsmith14
Cool Subject, The Udalo is a great destroyer.. and anti submarine platform
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm
by MichaelHoffman
OK, well here is a major update. As my plan is to still light this thing, I am currently figuring out how many LED's and where to put them. And as such, masking off the windows is a must.
20160303_104956.jpg
20160303_105229.jpg
20160303_115933.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:53 pm
by MichaelHoffman
I did find one issue with the kit. I was missing an area on the bridge floor (red circle), I had to fill it in with some plastic.
20160303_110519.jpg
I had a fun time painting this kit.
20160303_105321.jpg
20160303_131527.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:54 pm
by MichaelHoffman
Starting to go together nicely.
20160304_085647.jpg
20160304_085659.jpg
20160304_085715.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:57 pm
by MichaelHoffman
The bow/hull is in three pieces, it looked a little rough at first, but with a little help from some great products, it smoothed out nice.
20160304_085854.jpg
20160304_090729.jpg
20160311_130107.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:58 pm
by MichaelHoffman
This white line was a lot easier than I thought.
20160311_130044.jpg
20160311_140917.jpg
20160311_130049.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:00 pm
by MichaelHoffman
It looks Russian now, just placed for the moment. Need to place the SMD's and wire the hull. Need to source out the base and water effect.
20160313_230730.jpg
20160313_230753.jpg
20160313_230805.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 pm
by MichaelHoffman
Ok, it is crunch time.....most of the assembly of the plastic is done. All that left is lighting, some touch up paint, the rest of the PE, and the base. Ok, now for the update.
20160325_154611.jpg
I think I have the deck orange/red in the right shade, it looks closer in real light.
20160325_154635.jpg
Ok, this is not a Borg Cube....priming the photo etch with Ultimate/Badger primer.
20160325_154646.jpg
The primer lays down very nicely.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:59 pm
by MichaelHoffman
20160326_142328.jpg
The "Barley Gary" color. ?? Looks like a lighter version of ghost grey with a touch of green in it.
20160326_142352.jpg
The last PE to be attached, the railings.
20160401_040558.jpg
That moment when you know you are getting somewhere...the first empty sprue.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 pm
by MichaelHoffman
20160401_000625.jpg
Some of the tools of the trade....
20160401_000800.jpg
1/350 scale chain...6 bucks per foot with 8 bucks shipping, oh the pain.
20160401_000837.jpg
Aft superstructure is all fleshed out.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:16 pm
by MichaelHoffman
20160401_003458.jpg
Bow is looking good, it will pop once I get the washes and powders on it.
20160401_050448.jpg
One of few times I wish it WAS photo etch, these were each 4 pieces and fiddly, spent almost an hour to get them together, folding would have been better and faster. If I had time I'd remake them in brass wire.
20160401_003519.jpg
Looking berry Russian now.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:32 am
by rwsmith14
Nice !! Always liked the lines of the Udaloy. It was a great destroyer and anti-submarine platform.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:32 am
by rwsmith14
What color did you use for the deck?
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:11 pm
by MichaelHoffman
rwsmith14 wrote:What color did you use for the deck?
I used Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown. And had to mix my own for the Orange/Red from various brands.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:15 pm
by MichaelHoffman
Well, while waiting to get a few parts for the lighting I put 85% of it together and did a waterline photo shoot just to see how he looks.
20160407_051234.jpg
20160407_051324.jpg
20160407_051527.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:10 am
by MichaelHoffman
Ok, 1 week to go... and it is getting close...I have built the lighting harness and tested it. and got the foam cut for the base.
20160422_121701.jpg
20160422_132011.jpg
20160422_153205.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:12 am
by MichaelHoffman
Placing the foam as required.
20160422_153248.jpg
20160422_162745.jpg
and a quick check on the ship placement
20160422_162759.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:14 am
by MichaelHoffman
Udaloy is looking good, here it has the gloss coat for decals and washes
20160422_170644.jpg
20160422_170753.jpg
20160422_170759.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:17 am
by MichaelHoffman
Pink foam board, placing the high spots and glued down, then craved with a dremel.
20160423_170500.jpg
20160423_174158.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:20 am
by MichaelHoffman
Pianting the poam with med blue craft paint, and doing bioluminescence with a blue green paint.
20160423_190323.jpg
20160423_192659.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:22 am
by MichaelHoffman
Adding the white to the caps and wake, quick dry brush, it a very windy night.
20160423_194626.jpg
20160423_194632.jpg
More tomorrow, adding the rest of the PE to the ship and placing it in it's slot. Then adding clear silicone to the surface to create the water, then white dry brush again.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 pm
by MichaelHoffman
All the PE is on it. Final dull coat. Still have to pull all the tape from the windows, spread the silicone, and form it, and highlight. Almost done.
20160426_154256.jpg
20160426_154308.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:34 pm
by MichaelHoffman
The Udaloy 1 is done. Placed in it's water effect. And lit up.
20160428_132845.jpg
20160428_132856.jpg
20160428_132908.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 pm
by MichaelHoffman
It turned out pretty good, need to work on my weathering. But not bad for a first time water effect, and LED lighting for a ship. Best of all I had a blast, the Trumpeter kit is a very nice, and with the Trumpeter PE set it was a nice easy build. It did have it issues, but nothing that could not be handled with a little pre-thought.
20160428_133255.jpg
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 pm
by Always48
awesome water effect and great explanation on how you achieved it. Am i right in saying you have used ordinary clear silicon sealent to create the clear depth to surface?
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:14 am
by MichaelHoffman
Always48 wrote:awesome water effect and great explanation on how you achieved it. Am i right in saying you have used ordinary clear silicon sealent to create the clear depth to surface?
Yes, just squirt it, spread it, form it. ten use white to highlight the whitecaps on the waves.
Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:29 am
by Always48
I am so going to have to try it, thanks what a great idea.

Re: Trumpeter 1/350 Udaloy 1
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:13 am
by JudgeDredd
That is amazing and your water looks fantastic.