How do you deal with losing parts?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
newmodeler
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:18 pm

How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by newmodeler »

So I was working on a Bandai Evangelion kit and I cut a part from the sprue and it went flying. Of course I am not able to find it. I was wondering how you all deal when something like this happens? Does Bandai offer replacement parts?
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by Lysus »

Well, Bandai replaces defective parts for free + postage (90-400¥) and will replace lost parts for a small fee (like 60-800¥) but that's only in Japan. If you have a friend there, then you're all set. This is the page to do it on: http://bandai-hobby.net/SC/

There's instructions if you scroll down a bit complete with pictures of what to cut out and send in. (You're looking for the section with "部品注文のしかた 2015" in the header).

Otherwise, maybe find another one on eBay on the cheap?

What part went missing? Is it something that could be fabricated or was it a complex piece? If it was just some polycap you can order a large variety through places like Hobby Link Japan.

If it needs to be fabricated and you think you can do it, I'm not your man, but there's a a zillion here who could help with that.

Alternatively, get on your hands and knees with a magnifier and a bright light and fight that carpet monster for your piece back.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
burnie43
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Inverness, Scotland

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by burnie43 »

I SWEAR....CRAWL ABOUT WITH A LIGHT....THEN I HAVE A CUPPA AND TRY AND MAKE A REPLACEMENT IF IT'S NOTICEABLE......THEN I THROW A TARP OVER THE MISSING BIT,,,,,,VOILA
Cheers
Mark
Tis the march! 'Tis the march! Of the Highland Brigade
Caledonia's Sons of the kilt and the plaid
Aye foremost in danger, right onward they go
They have but one object, and that is the foe!
[/color]

On the bench
A permanent explosion scene.................
[/b]
User avatar
InitialProduction1
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by InitialProduction1 »

I cut the parts while there still in the plastic bags, then cut a tip off the bag, then I just slide the parts out on the work table, no more ping well MF UGH%€_#$!!^. Lol. For PE I use frog tape wrapped around a small piece of cardboard, sticky side up, stick the PE to the tape and cut PE with hobby knife, no more ping OMG%&^/=!! $÷. Lol.
On the bench
Sturm boot dragon,PZIII ausf J dragon, jagtiger old dragon, initial tiger dragon, tiger rye field,
Life is way to short to Dislike art so don't, help don't hate. :think:

clay
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by RobertK »

I usually hide the problem or scratch build a new part.
:banana:
Damonkh
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by Damonkh »

Scratch build or hide the problem.
One trick I learned a long time ago with tiny bits is to put a bit of tape on the sprue ensuring the bits are sticking to it. Then I cut. Also if you're REALLY steady and able, sometimes I heat up the exacto blade and nick the bit off the sprue. Leaves a bit to clean up which can be a real PITA, but ensures I don't ping the bloody things.

Another thing I did when I had carpeting was I got one of those big hard plastic things that you put under your chair. That helped a bit as well.
Damon "Mad Hat Modeler"
On the Bench...
B-25 Mitchell
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by Willem »

burnie43 wrote:I SWEAR....CRAWL ABOUT WITH A LIGHT....THEN I HAVE A CUPPA AND TRY AND MAKE A REPLACEMENT IF IT'S NOTICEABLE......THEN I THROW A TARP OVER THE MISSING BIT,,,,,,VOILA
Cheers
Mark
Happened to me numerous times. I've emptied the waste paper basket several times (how the hell did it land there?) and even taken an old carpet up in the man cave looking for a piece of engine that wouldn't be seen. :wtf:

The law of Sod states that two to three months after replacing/ scratch-building a part the part will magically appear, usually during a finger tip search for something else on another build.

Probably doesn't help you much other than letting you know that we all suffer and we all feel your pain.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by aur0ra145 »

If I don't find it in a minute, I just move on. From working on firearms with springs and little pins, I cut small stuff in a box to catch it if it flies off.
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by MajorTom2004 »

I let my dog search for it. If he finds, he is allowed to eat it :D
Cheers
Thomas
MarkB15
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Coningsby
England

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by MarkB15 »

I tell my wife what I've lost, give her a general description. Go to work, come home, Magic.
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by ForbesHutton »

I just hide the missing bit with a camo net. The joys of armour building...
Image
Akula1959
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am
Location: Mooresville NC

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by Akula1959 »

Copious and loud blue language and asking for 'minions' help. The joys of having a 5 and 7 year old as 'helpers'. :D

DonP
I am a criminal mastermind, not a mind reader!
User avatar
Spook
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 pm
Location: Lancaster uk
England

Re: How do you deal with losing parts?

Post by Spook »

Lots and lots of cursing make a brew while cursing,then try to source or make the part with abit more cursing thrown in for good measure. :evil:
simon

On the bench

In the stash
Lots and lots of phantoms
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”