Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
crackman77
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm
Location: Scranton, PA

Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by crackman77 »

I've been getting a little deeper into the hobby now. And I've been shopping on line quite a bit, mostly e-bay. I don't know much about the brands outside of Revell, AMT, and Tamiya What do you think of quality of model kits from these makers: GUNZE SANGYO? Aoshima? Hasegawa? Fujimi? and MPC? I see all of these amazing looking model kits on ebay, but I don't want to throw my money away. I got an awesome looking model in the mail today. It's a FUJIMI Ferrari Dino 246 GT but the instructions are a bit confusing... ok, way confusing for me.

I would love to hear some of your thoughts and opinions on these and other brands. What are the best? The worst? Your favorites? Ones to look for? Those to stay far, far away from?

Thanx
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by aur0ra145 »

Tamiya has been good to me. Revell has been hit or miss. I usually try and look for kit reviews online before buying. However, from personal experience, "Good as a beginner kit" can be a blackhole of frustration.
crackman77
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm
Location: Scranton, PA

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by crackman77 »

Thanx. Do you have any certain place(s) you go for kit reviews?
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by Coen »

It would be easier if we knew what it is that you build.
Some manufacturers are better at one genre than others.
User avatar
Goose
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Liège Belgium
Belgium

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by Goose »

On the youtube page of ISM you have nice kit reviews

Phil flory on his youtube page also does kit reviews.

Brett Green also does these.

Personnally in terms of brand I love Tamiya, Eduard and GWH, i "only" like Revell Trumpeter or Hasegawa
Bruno

Finished models:
Hawker Hurricane Hasegawa 1/72, P-47D Academy 1/72, Scimitar AFV 1/35, Me 109-E3-1/48 Airfix

on the bench:
F-15DJ Hasegawa-1/48 japanese Agressor 2010 scheme (long term project)
F-16 solo turkish Revel-1/72
paintsmcgee
Private
Private
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by paintsmcgee »

aoshima have great car kits
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by RobertK »

I usually look up the kits on https://www.scalemates.com/

If it's just an old reboxed (several times) I avoid it because those kits are usually means trouble and usually lacks details. It's better to grab a newish kit instead, sometimes just a tiny bit more expensive but 10 times better.
:banana:
crackman77
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm
Location: Scranton, PA

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by crackman77 »

@Coen, I am just building cars
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by wookiee76 »

In that case tamiya are pretty good if a little basic, revell can be hit or miss but the likes of aoshima are superb, hiroboy too but darned expensive.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by Stokesy44 »

I don't go near my wallet without checking reviews of the kit on the world wide interweb thingy.

Also, unless you're after a challenge, stay away from stuff that's really old, especially if its masquerading as a new kit. Check out the kit's lineage on scalemates. They also have reviews too.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
crackman77
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm
Location: Scranton, PA

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by crackman77 »

thanx for all the great advice and input
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Great Brands and Not so Great Brands

Post by Kevthemodeller »

I mainly built Tamiya in the past and my first build since returning will be Tamiya M4A3E8 but from my research it's a Tasca rebox, my second will be Dragon (which will be my first as they weren't that good years ago!) Ausf.E Tiger 1 Late Production Sd.Kfz.181 6253, again from my research comes highly recommended.

In the past I found Airfix to be hit and miss some were brilliant others appalling, Revell much the same, Academy and Monogram I only built one of each and found them (back then) to be on par with Tamiya.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”