Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Joe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Kansas City, USA

Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by Joe »

Hey Guys,

The TET is working as it should but I wonder how I can clean off the residue from around joints and seams. I typically build 1/72 scale aircraft where panel lines/rivets are usually very close to where I maybe joining wings to the fuselage. I invariable wind up with TET covering some rivets or get some small blotches on the plastic. Is there any other way to remove dried TET from styrene other than sanding?

Joe
On The Bench: 1/72 Revel Mig-31 and KP 1/72 Mig-23
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by Paul »

Use the green then white side on the Ultimate buffer and that will remove all the glue marks without removing detail
http://www.umpretail.com/collections/bu ... riple-pack
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by Coen »

If you're trying to clean it out of really close in detail then a fibre glass pen might be a solution. That's what I use. The larger sanders and buffers have a hard time getting in there.

Image

Image

I got mine here...


But you can find them on eBay and the American Amazon as well.
Joe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Kansas City, USA

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by Joe »

Thanks Paul and Coen!

I like the looks of the pen, I think it will be most useful in this case. And since I am probably due for new sanders, I will check out the Ultimate line of sanders.

Thanks Gents!

Joe
On The Bench: 1/72 Revel Mig-31 and KP 1/72 Mig-23
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by digger303 »

Coen wrote:If you're trying to clean it out of really close in detail then a fibre glass pen might be a solution. That's what I use. The larger sanders and buffers have a hard time getting in there.

I got mine here...


But you can find them on eBay and the American Amazon as well.
Is there a problem with the fibre's getting stuck in fingers ?
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by Coen »

I've been using mine for a couple of years and I've never even seen a fibre come loose.
I wouldn't stick my face up close to it while I'm using it, probably not wise.
Works great for roughing up paint or weathering/fading panels as well.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by digger303 »

Coen wrote:I've been using mine for a couple of years and I've never even seen a fibre come loose.
I wouldn't stick my face up close to it while I'm using it, probably not wise.
Works great for roughing up paint or weathering/fading panels as well.

Thanks for that.

I have another question. I have been trying to find aftermarket rifling and doesn't seem to be any available. Do you have any sure fire techniques for home manufacturing such an item.I'll start another thread. :th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by Coen »

Rifling?
As in rifling of a barrel?
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Cleaning Dried TET From Plastic

Post by digger303 »

yes that's it, sorry I was a little obtuse
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”