Page 1 of 1

How to clean styrene parts with PE prior to priming

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:57 am
by 11BravoC2
I usually clean styrene and PE prior to working on the model.

How do you clean your model with PE parts glued on prior to priming ?

Re: How to clean styrene parts with PE prior to priming

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:39 am
by JimJ
Have no experience as yet w/ PE, but normal parts...........I just hose 'em down with "Windex", rinse, let dry & good to go. Don's see why it wouldn't work with affixed PE, but experiment first.............

Re: How to clean styrene parts with PE prior to priming

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:24 pm
by Coen
The only time I clean parts is if they of a very old kit and it's covered in mould release or its from a newer company that I've had trouble with mould release before.
Most of the kit makers these days clean thier kits prior to boxing so there's no need. Unless you have really greasy dirty fingers your parts should be fine when you prime them.
If you give you're perfect a light sanding with a 120 sanding sponge before you cut the parts off the fret then paint will have a nice tooth to stick to as well.

Re: How to clean styrene parts with PE prior to priming

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:42 pm
by 11BravoC2
Thanks Jim and Coen. Usually I wash my hands every so often while modelling, had many incidents of burning eyes.
We had a mild winter in Texas so most allergens are in the air early and have been wreaking havoc on me.

Been sneezing so much, often times I don't get a chance to turn away from the model and well you know what happens.
So i was looking for a quick solution. Will try the Windex with a very soft paint brush.

Re: How to clean styrene parts with PE prior to priming

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:46 pm
by Coen
EWWWWWWW!


hahahaha!

Re: How to clean styrene parts with PE prior to priming

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:21 pm
by 11BravoC2
I know. Right?