Why I Will Never Buy Another ICM or KP Kit Again

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Joe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Kansas City, USA

Why I Will Never Buy Another ICM or KP Kit Again

Post by Joe »

I don't know if I have the worst luck in the world or what. This is two bad kits in a row!

The first kit was an ICM 1:72 scale Mig-25. Out-of-box reviews are good but nobody did an actual build review. The picture below shows how bad the nose section fit was...and that wasn't the worst by far. I wish I photo'd the main section as it was much worst. I don't think this model was meant to go together. Just a rip off...so it went in the trash.

Image


Next is the Kovozavody Prostejov (KP) Mig-23. Out-of-box reviews were good and the surface detail on the model looks great. However, there must not be any Quality Control at KP. Look at this melted chunk that was gouged from the front of the cockpit:

Image

I can't believe something like this could leave the factory unnoticed! I MIGHT be able to fix that melted gouge but I'm afraid the windshield won't fit!

Thanks for reading my rant. Just wanted to warn you guys about these so-called model manufacturers!

Joe
On The Bench: 1/72 Revel Mig-31 and KP 1/72 Mig-23
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Why I Will Never Buy Another ICM or KP Kit Again

Post by Coen »

I'll warn you off any pre 2013 Zvezda armour kits as well then. Very similar product quality.
Some of their newer stuff is less hit or miss, but I'll never buy another zvezda armour kit unless something drastic changes.
Les09
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 pm
Location: South West England. UK

Re: Why I Will Never Buy Another ICM or KP Kit Again

Post by Les09 »

A bit unlucky there my friend, two shite models by the looks of things, I suppose the Mig-23 could be a little to much for battle damage.
But a challenge is what it's all about.
Ether
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:11 pm
Russia

Re: Why I Will Never Buy Another ICM or KP Kit Again

Post by Ether »

Apart from Italeri repacks, I will state that only the latest Zvezda kits such as BPMT Terminator, Topol and Gaz M are good enough. The only reason for buying these kits in Russia is low prices, but don't think that export prices are the same.

Similarly, only ICM ZIL 131 and later truck kits are pretty good. I am not keen in airplanes, so can't say anything about their airplane kits.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why I Will Never Buy Another ICM or KP Kit Again

Post by digger303 »

Similarly, only ICM ZIL 131 and later truck kits are pretty good. I am not keen in airplanes, so can't say anything about their airplane kits.[/quote]

I agree , all later vechicle kits are pretty good , with only a couple of niggles . EVEN dragon kits have these and Icm's molding detail is outstanding.
Quality of the actual plastic could be better, smaller pieces can shatter on removal from the sprue.

:cheers2: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”