Kitsdb - Collections Manager

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
pmmsc
Private
Private
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:38 pm
Portugal

Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by pmmsc »

Hello everyone,

At a few weeks ago happened to me something that is not the first time it happens. I bought a kit and when I got home I noticed had the same kit. I was damned!!! However, there was nothing else to do...
After this episode and being a good 30 minutes looking for my kits collection, I decided I had to find a way to organize and catalog the collection of models, in order to always have at hand the information of my kits.
The years go by and we came to a point where sometimes no longer remember this or that kit we have.
Because of this, I decided to make a program to catalog and, thereby, have in computerized form, my collection kits. Had to be a simple and easy to use program. I thought to do a table in Excel, but despite being practical, was not ideal. Therefore, I decided to take my BD's programmer experience and create a database practical and intuitive ... as I thought it would not be the only person in need of such a tool, I decided to do the program in Microsoft Access to be able to share with all.
I gave him the name of Kitsdb - Collections Manager. Has the Portuguese and English languages. It works in Microsoft Access versions 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016. For those who do not have Access, Microsoft have available on your website to download a "runtime" version of Access that allows read and execute BD's. The program is all it programmable, one can adjust it to your needs and tastes. For this, you need a full version of Access.

The download link is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/57eh9m2tqv7bz ... b.rar?dl=0

I also share a few pictures of some screens in the program.

I hope you enjoy it and it is a useful tool...
If anyone has any opinion or improvement that thought that the program should have or do not hesitate to say, I would like to have your feedback in order to help, if possible, to have a program that helps you to organize your collections.
Model making is not only cut, paste and paint... the organization is also a very important factor, the more organized the better the results...

My best regards to all.

Pedro Cunha

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Damonkh
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Damonkh »

This is absolutely FANTASTIC! I am a programmer as well and have been thinking about this. I will download yours and take a look. Possibly between us we can create a MAC/WIN version? Cheers!
Damon "Mad Hat Modeler"
On the Bench...
B-25 Mitchell
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Cymru »

Oooooh!
Can you provide a link to the "runtime version" ? I have been to the MS site but don't know what I'm looking at :oops:
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Paul »

Or just use scalemates https://www.scalemates.com
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Coen »

So this thing would help you keep track of your stash and supplies and you wouldn't have to let the whole world know what's in it like those on line ones?
If that's the case I wouldn't mind using a working version of this.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by digger303 »

I already changed programs from a less well known one that was no longer supported. I now use scalemates. I don't think I will change....sorry it was too much of a hassle last time. :(
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
pmmsc
Private
Private
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:38 pm
Portugal

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by pmmsc »

Hello everyone,

I would first like to thank your comments. It's good to know you liked the program. :P

Friend Damonkh,
I did not test on a mac computer but I think the Mac version of access can run the program. I think the type of .accdb file can run on both Mac and Win versions. But only testing to see if it really works.

Friend Cymru,
The link to download the runtime version of Access is as follows:
https://www.microsoft.com/pt-pt/downloa ... x?id=39358
This is the Portuguese version but you can select the language you wish.

I know well the Scalemates website and I am also a user. It's a great website. The team that took the idea and developed the database is to be congratulated. It's a great place where we can find everything that is related with our kits.

As an autodidact I am and how I like to develop support tools to help us in day to day in this magnificent hobby, I decided to create this program.
The idea was born with the need to have the information of the kits I have without having to depend on an internet connection.
As I like to help the modeling community, shared the program to make available to everyone a tool that can help organize your kits collections.
I have no aim to develop a program that makes competition with other programs, or gain anything from it.
Like you, I am only a modeler who likes to help and share to the community my knowledge. :D

My best regards to all.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by digger303 »

The idea was born with the need to have the information of the kits I have without having to depend on an internet connection.


That is a very good point...as I have crappy isp service.
I used to use MyHobby info and that was a great site for stash management and you got a daily email update on new kits issued with a thumbnail photo...loved that. Unfortunately the creator got sick and it is no longer well supported.
You should check it out to include the better features in your program.
If only there was an easy way to shift data between these programs.

Top marks for having a go.... :th: :th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Coen »

I'm a complete numpty I'm afraid.
I couldn't figure out how to make it work.
Access is a language I don't speak. All that I managed to do was open the program and see a title window and a lot of menu options that I didn't understand.
I'm stuck using scale mates :(
Damonkh
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Damonkh »

Let me open a dialog with scalemates. It might be possible to create an app for android/ios/Win/Mac that would allow offline use AND online integration with their site. I'll get back to y'all.
Damon "Mad Hat Modeler"
On the Bench...
B-25 Mitchell
User avatar
pmmsc
Private
Private
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:38 pm
Portugal

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by pmmsc »

Hello everyone!

Taking into account the various suggestions and opinions made to me during these days in the various places where I published the program, will make a new version including the following options:
- Create shopping lists, in order to make list of tools, paints and other items that we will need to by.
- Create a module to enable the registration of kits that we want to buy.
- Events Calendar, so you do not forget any date!

Some suggestions were about the possibility of connection with the Scalemates site database, but the only way we can use the information posted on the site is even exporting the site lists in .csv format!
Taking into account that does not export all data and as the .csv file would have to be worked and prepared to be able to be imported into Kitsdb program, does not justify such an operation, because the information is not complete and this operation requires advanced knowledge of access and excel ... Unfortunately not all have this knowledge ...

Anyway, soon give news of the new version. Then I will see how best way to copy the current version of the data to the new version ... in order to don’t lose data!

My best regards to all.
Dekenba
Private
Private
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Dekenba »

I use Scalemates. It has all the information in already, so I just press the "Add to Stash" button when I find a kit I want to add to my stash. If the kit is not listed, its easy to add it. People are adding kits & AM all the time, keeping it updated, and it links to reviews & retailers as well.

I'm not bothered about privacy issues. Anybody who is can set up under a pseudonym.

It's simple to dump the info into a spreadsheet in csv format for offline use.

I'm not sure I can see where this software is better, other than those with a dodgy internet connection?
User avatar
mannloon
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by mannloon »

scalemates is awesome and it also links to all my reviews on YouTube and Armorama. That's hard to beat.
On the bench:
Cyber-Hobby T-34 Under New Management
Cyber-Hobby Tiger I Kursk
Rye Field Tiger I w/ Interior
Academy T-34 with bed spring armor
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by Cymru »

I'm sticking with this. Here are a few observations so far:
It would help navigation if the "Tool Tips" were in English.
It should default to Pounds not Euro.
Despite entering 6 kits, so far, it reports that there are only 4?
The MS Access Security Notice that comes up when you start the prog is VERY annoying!

Looking forward to the next version.
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
User avatar
pmmsc
Private
Private
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:38 pm
Portugal

Re: Kitsdb - Collections Manager

Post by pmmsc »

Hello everyone!

As promised, here is the program with the upgrade. :D

The new features are:
- Event Calendar, allows log all events that we find important.
- Shopping lists, allows you to create shopping lists with all the stuff we need.
- Wish Kits, allows recording all the kits we intend to acquire.

Slightly changed the layout of some buttons and created new screens for the system tables (Data System).

Could not let the program as it was, after announcing that it would make an improved version with new features. It was with a feeling of unfinished work... :roll:

So, get to work and made new Kitsdb 2.0 program in a lightning operation ... with few hours of sleep ... but with the mission accomplished...

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/55jyk7ex00lrg ... 2.rar?dl=0

As I said earlier, I do not want to gain anything from this. The program Kitsdb - Collections Manager is not designed to compete with anyone ...
Being modeler like all of you, only share my knowledge and works to contribute to the community. As such, I do not compare this to other programs, such as the scalemates, which in my opinion, is the best program of all. I am user of this excellent platform itself.

Kitsdb is just another one of the various existing programs for the purpose it was designed, manage our kits collections.

Greetings to all and good Easter!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”