A small step for mankind

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

A small step for mankind

Post by MajorTom2004 »

but one giant leap for me.

Today I applied the first self designed and printed decals to my current project:

Image

Image

Still not perfect in quality and size, but for the first run, I am quite happy with the result.
I have used at least a million hours of experiments and a minimum of 8 sheets of decal paper with
- different printing (Canon Pixma MX895 InkJet, HP Deskjet 990Cxi InkJet and Oki 321d Laser)
- different decal sheets
- different sealings with Future, Tamiya X-22, Gunze Mr. Metal Primer, Microsale Liquid decal film, etc.
to find out what really works for me.

And the next project is in the queue:

Image

Easy to find out, but I'm looking forward to it!
Not easy to pimp, but I got the resin set from Paragon. lucky dog :D
Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: A small step for mankind

Post by Lysus »

These look great. I've dabbled a little with home made decals and my results were...well adequate the second time. I didn't put in nearly as much work as you did, though, and it shows :)

Just remember that while you might see every tiny issue, others (like me) won't! Forgive my ignorance, just what jet is that, anyway?
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: A small step for mankind

Post by MajorTom2004 »

It is the NASA S-3 Viking, the next project is the NASA OV-10A Bronco.
And there is some more in the white livery to wait :D
Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
d6mst0
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:54 am
United States of America

Re: A small step for mankind

Post by d6mst0 »

Those decals look great to me, both on and off the model.
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: A small step for mankind

Post by MajorTom2004 »

Thanks for the comments.

On my reference pictures I just saw that the hatched step marker is slightly too long at the end, I think I can fix that.
For the Viking, I use a decal sheet which I bought from Draw Decal, unfortunately the sheet is not complete. And the blue stripes on my printed sheet are for the Bronco, nothing available to buy. I designed them in Photoshop, no rocket science but a bit time consuming :th:
Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
InitialProduction1
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: A small step for mankind

Post by InitialProduction1 »

Those look amazing, really adds a lot if detail, to kits, wish someone would come out with different colored decals for U.S. armor, all I ever see is white or yellow.anyway like I said amazing work.
On the bench
Sturm boot dragon,PZIII ausf J dragon, jagtiger old dragon, initial tiger dragon, tiger rye field,
Life is way to short to Dislike art so don't, help don't hate. :think:

clay
User avatar
pir8hntr
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:31 am

Re: A small step for mankind

Post by pir8hntr »

Very impressive amount of research put into this project and the results show it. Very good work.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”