Page 1 of 1
Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:18 am
by Stokesy44
Hi All
A quick one if I may? I've just done a dot filer on my KT and have ended up with white streaks as below. I used Humbrol enamel thinner. Its either the wrong stuff or I used too little of it?
Any thoughts please?

Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:19 pm
by Vleugelmoer
Stokesy, I would give it an other try with some more Humbrol thinner, turpentine or some other organic volatile liquid. It did make me

a bit reading your signature after a post like this. Because white is such a harsh color it should only be used sparingly, I think if you swapped the Yelow and white dots the end result would have not been so dramatic.
All the best in salvaging the build.
Paul
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:28 pm
by Stokesy44
Yeah, I think the white was a bit OTT too. I was going through Coen's guide and trying the various processes so its a learning process anyway.
As for salvaging the build, its not that bad

but there's no need anyway mate, I was always going to winterise it so the stuff in the photos is already history.
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:33 pm
by Vleugelmoer
I just also replied in the main build thread if all options fail or you cant't be bothered make it a winter one love the quick thinking mate

Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:41 pm
by Stokesy44
Quick thinking wasn't a factor. I had always planned to winterise it. I posted the query about the process because I don't like repeating my mistakes.
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:53 pm
by Paul
Just use a little more thinner, it looks fine to see just go over with with a flat brush dampened with thinner
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:33 pm
by Stokesy44
Paul wrote:Just use a little more thinner, it looks fine to see just go over with with a flat brush dampened with thinner
Cheers Paul

Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:47 pm
by Les09
Or you could leave as is, and say that it's bird shite stains, very authentic...

Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:47 pm
by SimonV
Ive used exactly the same oils and thinner and gotten similar results:
I think I used a bit much oil and thinner, resulting in heavy streaks. In particular the white had come across quite strong, you can see in the top left where the thinners pulled the paint off too. This was protected with Klear and Vallejo Matt (admittedly not a heavy cote). The thinner also did similar damage elsewhere on the model but I don't have photos yet.
Just a word of warning if you do try again with more thinner, I guess.
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:50 pm
by Stokesy44
SimonV wrote:Ive used exactly the same oils and thinner and gotten similar results:
I think I used a bit much oil and thinner, resulting in heavy streaks. In particular the white had come across quite strong, you can see in the top left where the thinners pulled the paint off too. This was protected with Klear and Vallejo Matt (admittedly not a heavy cote). The thinner also did similar damage elsewhere on the model but I don't have photos yet.
Just a word of warning if you do try again with more thinner, I guess.
Maybe its the make of thinner. I bought it when I first bought an airbrush as I thought I wold be spraying enamels. Perhaps its not the best stuff. I think I'll have to do some more research.
I think your schurtzen (forgive the spelling) look pretty good by the way, very nice chipping and scratches.
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:10 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
I'm just starting out using Windsor Newton 'Winton' artist oils but instead using Weber Odorless Turpenoid as the thinner and so far I've not had any issue with it pulling paint off. Might be worth trying instead of enamel thinner?
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:22 pm
by Stokesy44
OneSmallStep1966 wrote:I'm just starting out using Windsor Newton 'Winton' artist oils but instead using Weber Odorless Turpenoid as the thinner and so far I've not had any issue with it pulling paint off. Might be worth trying instead of enamel thinner?
Cool. Did you avoid the streaking problem I had? That would probably clinch it as I've seen a 236ml bottle of the stuff on Amazon and will probably get it.

Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:57 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
Stokesy44 wrote:Cool. Did you avoid the streaking problem I had? That would probably clinch it as I've seen a 236ml bottle of the stuff on Amazon and will probably get it.

It's hard to say because I'm really new to this technique and not done enough to say, but I haven't seen the same level of streaking on my 1/16 Sturm that you had on your Jagd, but that might just be because I used less white oil paint and nothing to do with the thinner?
I mentioned Odorless Turpenoid because SimonV said the enamel thinner he used was attacking his underlying paint and I've not had that problem, so Turpenoid might be a safer product for the underlying paintwork?
If you're determined to make oil paints your preferred weathering technique (I am) I would point you in the direction of Michael Rinaldi's books (TankArt or SM series). This guy has mastered the use of oil paints on models like no other and (I think) introduced the phrase "oil paint rendering" (OPR). In those books he explains the techniques needed to successfully use oil paints very well (and they are surprisingly simple) and one point he constantly emphasises is just how little oil paint and thinner he uses to acheive the results.
Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner?
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 pm
by OliveDrab
I've had very similar results with dot filters and white oils. I've always used Turpenoid to blend the oils, but the white oil was always the most difficult to blend. I'm no oil paint expert, but just reasoned the white paint is usually very stark in contrast to the base coat which contributes to the issue. The fix for me was to use much smaller dots of white paint compared to the other colors.

Re: Dot Filters - wrong thinner
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:46 pm
by Stokesy44
OneSmallStep1966 wrote:
It's hard to say because I'm really new to this technique and not done enough to say, but I haven't seen the same level of streaking on my 1/16 Sturm that you had on your Jagd, but that might just be because I used less white oil paint and nothing to do with the thinner?
I mentioned Odorless Turpenoid because SimonV said the enamel thinner he used was attacking his underlying paint and I've not had that problem, so Turpenoid might be a safer product for the underlying paintwork?
If you're determined to make oil paints your preferred weathering technique (I am) I would point you in the direction of Michael Rinaldi's books (TankArt or SM series). This guy has mastered the use of oil paints on models like no other and (I think) introduced the phrase "oil paint rendering" (OPR). In those books he explains the techniques needed to successfully use oil paints very well (and they are surprisingly simple) and one point he constantly emphasises is just how little oil paint and thinner he uses to acheive the results.
OliveDrab wrote:I've had very similar results with dot filters and white oils. I've always used Turpenoid to blend the oils, but the white oil was always the most difficult to blend. I'm no oil paint expert, but just reasoned the white paint is usually very stark in contrast to the base coat which contributes to the issue. The fix for me was to use much smaller dots of white paint compared to the other colors.

Thanks Guys, very good points and well reasoned. I guess its a combination of using too much white and the wrong thinner. Still, he who never made a mistake, never made anything eh?
I tell you, since I cam back to modelling last year I've learned so much new stuff I feel like Homer Simpson. Every time I learn something new, something old falls out of my brain!
