Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

My entry. Will post progress pics very soon. Made a start last night on the cockpit :th:

Image
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by Avgas »

Interesting box art. I don't think a Lightning would need both reheats plugged in to keep up with a Bear!
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Avgas wrote:Interesting box art. I don't think a Lightning would need both reheats plugged in to keep up with a Bear!
Just showing off its superior power..... Whooosh! :th:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Sprue shots:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Cockpit parts:

Image

Cockpit assembled. No fit issues:

Image

Image

Ultimate Black Primer :th:

Image

Dry brushed and instrument panels detailed with a cocktail stick rather than the supplied decal:

Image

Seat painted:

Image

Image

Seatbelts added using Tamiya masking tape. Not great!

Image

Cockpit finished!

Image

Air intake and nose assembly:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Some really nice detail on the fuselage.

Image

Excellent fit!

Image

Image


And thats where I'm upto! Will post some info on this wingy thingy very soon. :cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by chief5437 »

One of the first kits I built, very nice. There are a few accuracy/shape issues, but I think that only comes to light if you really look into it. I love the Lightning, so I did, lol! It still looks the part. Hope you don't think I'm criticising, I don't pay attention to accuracy in most of my builds, just the subjects I love! Good luck with it buddy :th: :th:
Chief
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by chief5437 »

Oo, just remembered, if it's not too late, might be worth putting some weight in the front if you're having wheels down. All of my lightning kits have needed it so far. :thumb2:
Chief
User avatar
pourquoi61
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by pourquoi61 »

I have this kit also, so I will watch the build with interest. Looks good so far mate. :th: :th:
Image
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Awesome plan still one of the fastest ever build 0 - 60000ft a pure interceptor :banana: :banana:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

chief5437 wrote:One of the first kits I built, very nice. There are a few accuracy/shape issues, but I think that only comes to light if you really look into it. I love the Lightning, so I did, lol! It still looks the part. Hope you don't think I'm criticising, I don't pay attention to accuracy in most of my builds, just the subjects I love! Good luck with it buddy :th: :th:
Had this in the stash for a while, and a quick google made me aware of some of the accuracy issues but twas a bargain off ebay. Need to reduce the stash a bit so rather than buy a new one, thought I'd get this built up. If it looks like a Lightning by the time I've finished, I'll be a happy bunny. I'm sure the rivet counters will point out the faults, lol! Cheers for stopping by Chief :th: :cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

pourquoi61 wrote:I have this kit also, so I will watch the build with interest. Looks good so far mate. :th: :th:
Thankyou very muchly :cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

chief5437 wrote:Oo, just remembered, if it's not too late, might be worth putting some weight in the front if you're having wheels down. All of my lightning kits have needed it so far. :thumb2:
Cheers for that Chief. Thinking of an in-flight display..... good job really, because I totally forgot.... :lol:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Was thinking of doing an in-flight display, but realised I would have nowhere to put it! So managed to stuff some bluetack in.... hope its weighty enough to avoid the dreaded tail sitting!

Image

Moving on to the wings assembly.....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Despite the well documented inaccuracies of this kit, its an excellent fit.

Image

Managed to leave my thumb print nicely....... :crazy:

Image

But a quick sanding with Ultimate sanders sorted that! :th:

Image

Belly of the Beast slotted in perfectly. Kit reviews say this is oversized...

Image

Image

Image

Undersized exhaust nozzles is also one of the inaccuracies reported in reviews of this kit....

Image

Image

Image

Horizontal stabilizer and a few detail parts going on....

Image

Image

Image

Managed to take some chunks out of one of the airbrake flaps while removing it from the sprue... :crazy:

Image

Locator holes needed drilling out as they were virtually non-existent.....

Image

Image

Image

I'll see what I can do with a spot of filler for the airbrake flap.

Also according to reviews of this kit, the belly tank fins are oversized and the wrong shape....

Image

Nose vents (?) going on. Needed a little filler.

Image

Image

Nose cone ring will be added later after priming/painting

Image

Cockpit masked off ready for priming....

Image

The Ultimate primer really is the dogs danglies! Ignore the big brush- thats my dusting brush. Primer was applied with my Iwata Neo airbrush

Image

Done!

Image


Thats where I'm upto at the min. Will be using Vallejo Metal Colour, but thinking of glossing the primer first, as I've see a couple of vids that say metal colours go down better on a shiny surface. Most recommended priming in enamel, but I don't work with enamels, so I'm thinking a couple of coats of Future Floor Polish and see how that works......

Back soon! :cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
Smiffy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by Smiffy »

Great work so far, looking like it will be a nice Lightning :th:
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by chief5437 »

:th: that all came together nicely. Looking forward to seeing some shine on her. Kutgw buddy :th:
Chief
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by Les »

Less than 14 days before this GB ends; how is your build coming along?
Image
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

chief5437 wrote::th: that all came together nicely. Looking forward to seeing some shine on her. Kutgw buddy :th:
Les wrote:Less than 14 days before this GB ends; how is your build coming along?
Smiffy wrote:Great work so far, looking like it will be a nice Lightning :th:
Cheers fellas.... Standby for update!
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Apologies for the update delay. Alot of progress, so here goes....

Used Vallejo Alluminium Metal Color for the shine, and I'm very happy with the outcome. I only use acrylics, so these paints are perfect for me. Sprayed through the airbrush beautifully with no thinning :th:

(Also I DID NOT gloss the primer first after further research)

Image

Image

Next up was masking up for the anti-glare shield....

Image

Image

Slight disaster with bleed through, though masking has never been my strong point and dreading the canopy! :crazy:

Image

But outcame the fine brushes for some careful touching up and just about kept a steady hand....

Image

Image

Landing gear made up, primed and sprayed with Vallejo Model Air Alluminium. Then given a pin wash with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (Black)

Image

Exhaust nozzles painted with Vallejo Model Color Smoke....

Image

Red Top Missiles primed, painted and washed....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Time for the Bird herself to receive a pin wash. The Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color is a newish purchase for me so this was its first real test for me personally. Loving the stuff. You can use it straight on an Acrylic surface without glossing, and cleans up nice with the Tamiya Enamel Thinners :th:

Image

Image

Image

Got through a fair view cotton buds for the clean up, but it was worth it. Photos don't really do it justice to be honest....

Next up was the decal session..... They went on lovely, but were a bit thick. Unfortunately I messed up on a couple of the walkway line decals and had to leave them off. My bad. Also some of the really really really teeny weeny ones!! :shock:

Still adding Microsol to see if the roundels will settle better....

Image

Image

Image

Image


So thats were I'm upto! Nearly there. Despite the decal disaster, I'm really happy with her so far. Just landing gear to add, missiles and canopy. Very impressed with the Vallejo Metal Color and Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color, and would highly recommend both products.

Cheers guys :cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by chief5437 »

Wow! That's looking really good, love the scheme you've chosen, classic! :th: :th: :th:
Chief
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

chief5437 wrote:Wow! That's looking really good, love the scheme you've chosen, classic! :th: :th: :th:
Cheers Chief. Got her all finished today, just about to upload final pics :th:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Got her finished today with a day to spare!

Missiles, landing gear and canopy prepared and going on....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Quick base made from a Home Bargains £1.99 picture frame and a printout from the interweb.....

Image


Aaaaaaaaand she's done! Just a few touch ups required before the final reveal pics.

Image


Despite this kits well documented errors, I really enjoyed this build. Hadn't done an aircraft in aaaages, as got the armour bug, but this has re-newed my aircraft interest. Well chuffed how the canopy turned out, as this has always been a nightmare for me. Thought I was a genius coming up with what I did with the cocktail stick (tape on, score with said stick, fresh blade to follow the score line), but Paul reminded me he showed it in one of his aircraft technique vids a while back, lol! It was probably stored in my brain and only just leaked out!

Very impressed with the Vallejo Metal Color as acrylics are a must for me, and also the Tamiya Panel line accent color. Both really great products.

Despite having to leave a few decals off (some I ruined, other just toooooo small), I think this is my best aircraft build so far. Its not perfect thats for sure, but for my low skill level, I'm well happy with it :th:

Thanks to all who followed the build :th: Now go and have a peek at the final reveal pics, lol! Cheeeeers!

:banana: :cheers2: :cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter 1/72 BAC Lightning F.6/F.2A

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Ooooops, nearly forgot:

Development

At the very end of the Second World War, the English Electric Aviation Company was contracted to develop the design of Britain's first jet bomber, the B3/45, later to become the Canberra. The design was so successful that early researches indicated that, in terms of altitude and manoeuvrability, this aircraft would be able to outperform all fighters in existence or known to be in build. Even in terms of speed, it would outperform everything with the possible exception of the new North American P86 Sabre.

So, having created their own problem and with nightmare visions of similar Soviet bombers coming out of the East in unreachable and therefore invulnerable waves, in 1947 the Ministry of Supply issued Experimental Requirement 103 for a manned research aircraft capable of exploring transonic and supersonic speeds. Both English Electric and Fairey Aviation submitted proposals, the former being designated the P.1 and the latter the FD.2.

W E W Petter, then chief engineer of English Electric made a few sketches on the back of the proverbial envelope. The delta wing configuration was examined, but Petter rejected the delta as a complete wing and decided that the new aircraft should have swept wings, with the rear part of the ‘delta’ being a moveable tailplane. It was also decided to include provision for weapons systems from the start, in contrast to the FD.2, which was a pure research vehicle.

The ER103 design study was sufficiently impressive for English Electric to be awarded the contract for two prototypes and a structural-test airframe. The early prototypes evolved into the Lightning, an aeroplane which was to span the time from when the Spitfire was our primary front-line fighter to the end of the Cold War. The hitherto invulnerable bomber threat had become easy prey for the finest point-defence interceptor the world had ever seen, and the English Electric Lightning flew into the heritage of the British people.

The Lightning was the only British designed and built fighter capable of speeds in excess of Mach 2 to serve with the Royal Air Force. It evolved at a time when Britain led the way in aviation and it suffered at the hands of the government in the same way as did the industry which had created it. There is no doubt that the Lightning will go down in the history books as another classic British fighter.

:cheers2:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”