Page 1 of 1
Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:18 pm
by Gav0909
So yeah I just took the masked canopy off my Spitfire after finishing the paint job on the model and the canopy has broken, seemingly all by itself! I hadn't dropped the plane, nor rested it on the canopy either. Yet a chunk of the canopy has come away and the front windscreen is all smashed! Its almost passable as battle damage, but I am well miffed as to why its randomly decided to break like this.
Any ideas on why? I think this might be a spare part from Airfix request!

Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:21 pm
by schweinhund227
do a search for Vacuform replacement canopies... I am pretty sure there are many available...
Good luck !
Bummer thou !
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 pm
by UKscalemodeller
You could try shoring it up with glue and plunge forming one from it.
Or you could have my spare revell spitfire canopy.
It is 1/72?
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 pm
by Gav0909
Norm, yeah I could just buy a vacform one....if I had any money lol. Money is real tight for me just now, at least for non-essential things. So if I can't make this one suitable I will just use Airfix's parts replacement service.
Ian, yeah its 1/72 mate. I will play around with this and see if I can make it suitable, if not I will either take you up on that offer, or get a replacement from Airfix, that way I know it will fit as well.
Cheers
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm
by Lee
Bummer! If you have micro krystal klear you could try a repair, if no joy then I think I have a spare Airfix canopy in 1/72 flavour kicking around if you want it...
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 pm
by HobbyModeller
I'd go for the Airfix spare

They usually do it free and all you have to do is send them an email ... also it should arrive quickly (my Bf109 canopy did after 3 days)
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 pm
by coladito1
Id give Airfix a call, they are pretty good at that. They might just charge you for shipping tho, but its a lot cheaper than buying one. Paul's solution is a good idea as well, i would recommend just a lot of polishing tho.
Sorry bro, its happened to me as well and I know the feeling.

Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 pm
by Gav0909
Yeah I have gotten parts from Airfix before so I will do that.
Luis, there ain't no way this is polishing out! lol. The thing is cracked right through and pretty beat up. I don't have the materials to polish clear parts anyway (one reason my Mosquito isn't finished yet as the canopy needs some tlc I can't give it).
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 am
by Paul
Gav is there another canopy on the clear sprue? And is there a code on there ATML 00121 sprue c?
I think I have the spare canopy from when I built that kit (I keep most spares)
I've got the canopy marked number 47 spare if it's of any use for you?
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 am
by Gav0909
Hey paul, I will check when I get home what the sprue code is and part number. There was only one canopy included in this kit, which is why its a pain that this one is knackered.
I will PM you later with the sprue info so you can see if its the same. If its the clear sprue from the new tool Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MkIA kit then chances are its the same.
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:25 am
by Paul
Gav0909 wrote:Hey paul, I will check when I get home what the sprue code is and part number. There was only one canopy included in this kit, which is why its a pain that this one is knackered.
I will PM you later with the sprue info so you can see if its the same. If its the clear sprue from the new tool Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MkIA kit then chances are its the same.
I'm pretty sure it is mate, its yours if you need it gav. It does look a little different to yours though, I'll get a pic of it when I venture to the Batcave in a bit
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 am
by Gav0909
Yeah that would be good, if we can confirm its likely to fit then I would take that from you if the offer is there mate. Much appreciated!
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:43 am
by UKscalemodeller
When I needed a spare canopy for the curtiss hawk I just emailed airfix, told them I needed the clear parts from the kit (gave them the number of the kit, not even the sprue number) and it was there the next day. impressed I was.
Revell were the same but delivery was 8 weeks because they come from Germany.
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 am
by Lee
Airfix have always replaced the parts pronto. I've had to ask them several times for bits and bobs and never had to pay either!
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am
by Gav0909
As I said before, I am aware of Airfix's parts replacement service having used it myself before. And was thoroughly impressed. I have also used Revells service too (1/32 Lynx main windscreen was cracked when I received the kit).
If Paul's offer of a part doesn't turn out to be the right one then I will just get onto Airfix for a replacement.
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 am
by Modelpro72
Canopy!!!! Don't talk to me about them!!!
I feel your pain Gav
Lenny

Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 am
by Gav0909
Decking never gave up its prize then I take it Lenny..........
:-P
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:37 am
by Paul
This is the kit it's from gav
Is is the spare canopy, it's different to yours as the the front screen is different and there's no mirror
As by the look of it I used the one you broke on my spitfire
Yours if you want it mate, just let me have your address and I'll get it posted to you.
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 am
by Gav0909
Aye that should fit still. As you say the one I had was the later style "bubble" canopy with the mirror, whereas the other one you have there is the earlier style one. I am not one for being overly true to accuracy so I could live with using the earlier canopy! PM inbound.
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:59 am
by UKscalemodeller
Modelpro72 wrote:Canopy!!!! Don't talk to me about them!!!
I feel your pain Gav
Lenny

Still after that Jag canopy eh?
BTW Surface to Air models, Genius, pure Genius!
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 pm
by Tamiyasnob
Hi, what mark of Spitfire is it?. I have a few in my spare's box, regard's Dave
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 pm
by Gav0909
Cheers Dave, its the new tool Airfix MkIa kit. Paul has kindly posted me a spare already though. Thanks for the offer.
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 am
by SuperDryBeef
On the subject of canopy, if I use gator glue is it gonna make a big mess out of the canopy, if yes what should I use?
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 am
by Paul
SuperDryBeef wrote:On the subject of canopy, if I use gator glue is it gonna make a big mess out of the canopy, if yes what should I use?
Gator is perfect for canopies, I use it myself along with micro scale Krystal clear
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:48 am
by Lee
I've always used Micro Krystal Klear, it's the dogs! It's great for not only glueing, but reparing and creating portholes etc..... Never used Gator Glue as it's hard to find in the UK!
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm
by Gav0909
I use the Revell Clearfix, or whatever its called. I would rather it set a bit quicker, as sometimes its a bugger holding small clear parts in place while the glue sets, its not the tackiest of glues.
Will have to get some Microscale Kristal Klear though, seems good stuff. I already use their decal set and softener.
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:47 pm
by Lee
One bottle will last you a decade....lol
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:02 pm
by schweinhund227
I use White Glue for all my canopy if they are just Drop in place...
Re: Canopy help!
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:16 am
by SuperDryBeef
Alright, thanks guys.