Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by EasyEight96 »

Hi this will be my entry to the Shiny things SiG

So here is my first kit yes a matchbox kit
Image

The contents
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

and my second entry the korean war mustang
Image

The contents
Image
Image
Image
Image

I'll try to update frequently hopefully I could finish in time
:cheers2:
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
mperegrinefalcon
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by mperegrinefalcon »

The airfix kit looks good, but be prepared to do a lot of work on that kit from matchbox, it already looks like it will be a pain.
Looking forward to see what these turn into!!!
On the bench:
Too much

up next:
finishing the kits I have started

Why finish a kit when you can start a new one?
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by EasyEight96 »

Update on the Viggen, I'll post the mustang later after I've finish some work on it

So I started it few days ago
Once I primed up all the parts,
I started by painting the cockpit interior neutral green and the exhaust compartment metallic grey. I then glued the fuselage
together immediately there's a tone of gaps need filling
Image

Here's the shot once I add on the filler
Image

The seats were too painted in neutral grey and khaki drab on the cushion
Image

The intakes was next I hand brush it with aluminium before mating it together that too has bad fitting issues
Image

Nothing cant be solve with a help of fillerrr!
Image

To get the best fit when I glued the intakes to the fuselage I removed the pins on the intakes although there were still gaps but I manage to minimize the gaps. Then I glued on the wings of the viggen with surprisingly very little fit issues

Image

Image

Image

Still it needs some filling up
Image

As the instructions asked for some weight to be applied to avoid tail sitting I added some screws and bolts
Image

The nose then glued on to the fuselage it's looking more like a saab viggen now
Image

Landing gears were quite simple to build
Image

The weapons and fuel tank were filled and now looking cool
Image

Image

The canopies are masked up using normal masking tape and the new tamiya flexi masking tape. The pitot tube was glued in and filled too as it have a massive gap jeezzz
Image

So with all that it was ready for priming today afternoon
Image

Image

Image

Image

Letting it to set for a few hours I continued with the paintwork
I started with painting the nose with gaianotes ultimate black
Image

I masked the nose up using the flexi tape and normal tape and I painted it with tamiya aluimium. For the undercarriage I used ak metal aluminium
Image

and here is how the viggen looks like
Image
Image

Thats for the work so far will update more soon
Last edited by EasyEight96 on Tue May 31, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by EasyEight96 »

Update on the mustang

The cockpit parts were sanded down and prep for painting last night
Image

and today I painted up the cockpit parts together with the other mustangs I'm working for the PTO GB

Image

Image

Image

Once it was dried I hand painted the details gave them a dry brush of silver
Image

Decals applied to the instrument panel
Image

I gave the cockpit a nice wash from Mig and installed the cockpit to the fuselage
Image

Image

Thats all for the mustang as I need to paint the spinner and the props before I could close the cockpit
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by Les »

How is your planes coming along? We have less than 13 days left in this SiG!
Image
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by EasyEight96 »

Les wrote:How is your planes coming along? We have less than 13 days left in this SiG!
I've completed the Viggen I will put an update later. The mustang is not done so I'll put it aside
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Saab Viggen and F-51 Mustang

Post by EasyEight96 »

Very late update

So the viggen is now completed here are the photos step by step to the end. As for the mustang I'll try to pump extra work to get it done by this week

Landing gear glued on...
Image

Image

Fuel tank installed and pitot tube painted. So after a coat of clear its time for decalling
Image

Image

Image

Anti shipping missile all painted up
Image

After a final coat of clear I pulled off the masking tape from the canopy and here is how the viggen looks
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and finally once the missiles were installed and volla the viggen is completed more pics in the reveal section
Image

Image
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”