1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post Reply
User avatar
Stefanovici
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Romania, Iasi
Contact:
Romania

1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by Stefanovici »

This was my very first 1/48 kit and I found it very fun to make. Not only that, but it only cost like £5 instead of £20 (a deal you cannot refuse!). ;)
Here are a few pics of it:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
On the bench:
1/72 Airfix North American Harvard
1/72 Roden Sd.Kfz.234/3
My Portofolio: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 28#p188128
Regards, Ștefanovici
RichardT
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 am

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by RichardT »

great desert tiger - well done mate
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

Cool model, how did it build?
I´d like to suggest some things you could improve here and there if you are interested please let me know.
User avatar
Stefanovici
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Romania, Iasi
Contact:
Romania

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by Stefanovici »

HamilkarBarkas wrote:Cool model, how did it build?
I´d like to suggest some things you could improve here and there if you are interested please let me know.
Sure! Tips are always welcome!
Last edited by Stefanovici on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On the bench:
1/72 Airfix North American Harvard
1/72 Roden Sd.Kfz.234/3
My Portofolio: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 28#p188128
Regards, Ștefanovici
User avatar
Stefanovici
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Romania, Iasi
Contact:
Romania

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by Stefanovici »

HamilkarBarkas wrote:Cool model, how did it build?
I´d like to suggest some things you could improve here and there if you are interested please let me know.
RichardT wrote:great desert tiger - well done mate
Thank you very much! :)
On the bench:
1/72 Airfix North American Harvard
1/72 Roden Sd.Kfz.234/3
My Portofolio: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 28#p188128
Regards, Ștefanovici
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

Stefanovici wrote:Sure! Tips are always welcome!
Alright! Thats the spirit :)
I know it is kinda tricky in the beginning, but i´d recommend to try out some weathering on this model. Tiger tanks saw usually long service at the front so you can not really overdo any effect.
A wash would be a nice start. thin down some black or dark brown paint a lot (it does not matter if it is acrylic, enamel or oil paints) and use it to accentuate the detail of your model. it will help a lot to create a realistic look and your model won´t look "toyish" anymore. Before you do that you should probably seal your model with a clear coat. Which paints did you use? If you used acrylics you can basically work on without a clear coat.
some paint chips could be created with dark grey paint dabbed on with a sponge or you brush it on with a small brush.
for some dust effects you could use some medium and light brown color and a rather big and soft brush. dip the brush into the paint, then clean most of the paint off again on a paper towel and gently rub the brush on the wheels and tracks, maybe a bit on the superstructure, too. you will see that the surface will look a bit dirty and you can move on from there or leave it as it is for the beginning. Of the three things i suggested i consider the wash to be the most important.
Of course everyone else here could also give some imput and advice to help out our fellow model builder Stefanovici :D
User avatar
Stefanovici
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Romania, Iasi
Contact:
Romania

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by Stefanovici »

HamilkarBarkas wrote:
Stefanovici wrote:Sure! Tips are always welcome!
Alright! Thats the spirit :)
I know it is kinda tricky in the beginning, but i´d recommend to try out some weathering on this model. Tiger tanks saw usually long service at the front so you can not really overdo any effect.
A wash would be a nice start. thin down some black or dark brown paint a lot (it does not matter if it is acrylic, enamel or oil paints) and use it to accentuate the detail of your model. it will help a lot to create a realistic look and your model won´t look "toyish" anymore. Before you do that you should probably seal your model with a clear coat. Which paints did you use? If you used acrylics you can basically work on without a clear coat.
some paint chips could be created with dark grey paint dabbed on with a sponge or you brush it on with a small brush.
for some dust effects you could use some medium and light brown color and a rather big and soft brush. dip the brush into the paint, then clean most of the paint off again on a paper towel and gently rub the brush on the wheels and tracks, maybe a bit on the superstructure, too. you will see that the surface will look a bit dirty and you can move on from there or leave it as it is for the beginning. Of the three things i suggested i consider the wash to be the most important.
Of course everyone else here could also give some imput and advice to help out our fellow model builder Stefanovici :D
Thank you so much! :)
Now I'll probably have to do some research (on your youtube channel! :D ) as there are some things you stated that I don't know much about.
Btw, I'll buy some modelling goodies by the end of this month, and there is a dust effects wash on the list as there were some money left and wanted to make use of them lol That might be of some use for my Africa Korps Tiger!
Now I haven't read the whole text carefully, but don't worry, I'll re-read it as soon as I get to the bench! ;)
Thank you again!
On the bench:
1/72 Airfix North American Harvard
1/72 Roden Sd.Kfz.234/3
My Portofolio: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 28#p188128
Regards, Ștefanovici
User avatar
Stefanovici
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Romania, Iasi
Contact:
Romania

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by Stefanovici »

I also tried weathering before, but the only two washes I have are a rusty one and a dark brown one. I also tend to exaggerate with the washes which isn't really good. :cry:
On the bench:
1/72 Airfix North American Harvard
1/72 Roden Sd.Kfz.234/3
My Portofolio: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 28#p188128
Regards, Ștefanovici
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

Washes are pretty easy to make yourself. you could get a tube of black and dark brown oil paint and some ordinary lighter petrol. mix the two, put it on the model and there you go :) the pre mixed washes you can buy tend to be a bit dark/high contrast (at least in my opinion). if you mix the stuff yourself you can make it more subtle. you can buy the lighter petrol in every supermarket very cheaply and one tube of 502 Abteilung oil paints probably lasts you 10 years or more. if you give that a try you can save your money for other goodies :)
if some of the terminology i used is not clear and requires further explanation, well, just go ahead and ask. thats what this page is for :)
User avatar
Stefanovici
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Romania, Iasi
Contact:
Romania

Re: 1/48 Tiger I from Tamiya

Post by Stefanovici »

Well, sure! Good to have such a help these days!
First of all, I want to buy the kits and paints from the shopping list. And from what money is left, I'll buy what you said. Hope it isn't very expensive, though!
I might ask for help in 2-3 weeks, I'll let you know. :)
On the bench:
1/72 Airfix North American Harvard
1/72 Roden Sd.Kfz.234/3
My Portofolio: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 28#p188128
Regards, Ștefanovici
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”