Page 1 of 1

1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:45 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Well here is the progress of my first model since being a teenager a couple of decades ago.
I am very much a novice at this and at the moment cannot justify investing in an airbrush although I am dropping hints to the Mrs regularly.

So far it's been a bit of a bugger. Should have done a bit more research before starting as it hasn't fitted together as neatly as I wanted but I am a bit of a perfectionist and after seeing what the rest of you are cable of I'm a bit embarrassed but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Anyways main parts are now together and primed.

Image

With having no airbrush and wanting to weather the paintwork etc I am holding back on painting it further until I know what I'm doing a bit more. Although I am enjoying painting the pilot.


Image

Some more detail to add to his face but quite happy with this so far.

Thanks for looking and any hints or useful tips are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nige

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:06 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Right after using a rattle can to prime the fuselage I realise that brushes are really only good for little detailed work. Therefore the pilot is going to be my test bench to see how steady my hands are still when I come to put some facial detail on him.

However, because of this and my nagging to the wife she has caved in and said I can get an airbrush!!!
One stipulation, though, I am not allowed to spend too much on it. Therefore I have looked through the forum and seen some suggestions but I am still cautious of spending £200+ on an airbrush and compressor just to find out that I am rubbish at painting.

So first of many apologies for posting what is obviously a very common question amongst the community but could somebody provide to advice on if the following is any good?



Really if I can get a cheap compressor and brush which I can play with then upgrade the brush but keep the compressor for a year or two - this would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance,

Nige

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:41 pm
by AridTalons
Hi Nigel. Welcome to ISM!

I would recommend a compressor with a tank attached to it. It's not that much more for a compressor with a tank fitted and it helps keep the compressor from getting too hot. Plus you won't have to deal with the noise from the compressor as much. The compressor kit in the link below is similar to the compressor I have. It works well and is for the same price as your original pick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0192X5HFI?psc=1

The included airbrush is a generic, dual action with a 0.3 mm needle. It's an OK airbrush with a dual action trigger. Which in my opinion is a must. In the future you may want to upgrade to a better airbrush with a 0.2mm needle for more precise paint flow. But keep the generic airbrush for priming and a backup in case your upgrade gets damaged or whatever.

By the way, good work on the figure! I'm sure the Spitfire will come out alright!

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:33 am
by 1975GinjaNinja
Many thanks for the info. That looks like just the ticket.

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:14 am
by Stokesy44
Nigel1975 wrote:Right after using a rattle can to prime the fuselage I realise that brushes are really only good for little detailed work. Therefore the pilot is going to be my test bench to see how steady my hands are still when I come to put some facial detail on him.

However, because of this and my nagging to the wife she has caved in and said I can get an airbrush!!!
One stipulation, though, I am not allowed to spend too much on it. Therefore I have looked through the forum and seen some suggestions but I am still cautious of spending £200+ on an airbrush and compressor just to find out that I am rubbish at painting.

So first of many apologies for posting what is obviously a very common question amongst the community but could somebody provide to advice on if the following is any good?



Really if I can get a cheap compressor and brush which I can play with then upgrade the brush but keep the compressor for a year or two - this would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance,

Nige
Hi Nige.

That's the exact same set I bought when I started airbrushing. I started from scratch with it, learning the basics and experimenting etc. Thoroughly enjoyed it. After a year I got a better airbrush but I still use the compressor which works just fine. One thing that will really help when you use it is a quick release for the hose. Otherwise, you'll soon get tired of unscrewing the hose every time you need to.

Something like this



I would also get a longer/better hose too. The one in the set is too short and will 'fight' you as it wants to curl up all the time.



Get spraying Dude!

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:40 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Well I've still not invested in the air brush yet but plan to shortly. In the mean time I thought I would see how it all looks with hand brushing. So this is wh were I've got to...

Image

And another, sorry just quick photos with my phone.

Image

Finally I've given the pilot another coast of paint...

Image

Now please correct me as I've only ever made these models as a kid and never to a very high standard. I have the decals to add before I put wants on etc. And I have some humbrol decal fix which seems to say I don't need a clear coat. Has anyone used this, would it still be best to gloss first and finally does it work well for melting the decals to the contours?

I'm looking forward to playing with some ultimate dirt wash and then I think I will attempt weathering for the first time. Think I'm going to try using oil paints for it.

Cheers

Nige

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:55 pm
by Cymru
I use DecalFix and it works just great. The orthodox method of applying decals is to gloss/clear coat first. I follow the "Will Paterson" method and matt coat, or no coat, then apply decals as they then snuggle down very well. If you choose the latter method then you risk any trapped air causing silvering, so you must watch over them whilst they dry.

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:45 am
by 1975GinjaNinja
Cheers Cymru, I have found that the key skill I need to improve on is patience. I've have gone for the no coat approach as I just got too keen to apply some decals.

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 am
by 1975GinjaNinja
Well after a couple of days away from the model I thought I would add some more detail to my thread as a bit of a diary for me to look back on for my first model in 25 years.

Materials being used or more like gathered during the build as I started with nothing more yhanthe kit itself.

First attempt was building the model with a Stanley knife to clean it up a bit and the glue/paints from the box.
Very quickly found Paul's 13 part you tube series and from this bought my first real item for the modelling world... Tamiya extra thin along with a few humbrol enamels as this is the paint I used as a child and hadn't realised quite how much times had moved on.

Proceeded to build the model up and them prime with some humbrol rattle can primer. Don't know is it was the fumes but I started spraying anything and everything as is was amazing to see how quickly the paint went onto the model. Hence next purchase of more primer, this time the tamiya fine primer as hobbycraft only had this in.

Now the daunting task.of painting the beast. No airbrush so off to buy some more brushes, a selection of flat brushes and detail brushes. Tamiya masking tape of various sizes and a little brush stand as a treat. At this point I have started to realise that this is turning into a very expensive model.

During this time the airbrush/compressor research on amazon starts...

Paint "carefully" applied and this brings me up.to date with my posts above.

Oh gorgon a couple of extra buys during the multiple visits to hobbycraft over the last few weeks:
Humbrol clear gloss
Humbrol thinners
Humbrol decalfix
Cutting board
Knife
Tweezers nice fancy carbon tipped ones!
Some files and filler a bit late but I've got them forth next model.
More and more research on airbrushes.

I'll.leave it there for now.

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:03 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Right where am o up to now?
After getting the Ultimate dark dirt wash I couldn't wait to try it out. So I applied some top my little pilot. The result isn't the neatest in the world but this is my first ever attempt at adding some weathering / character to a model...

Image

Also now added most of the decals. I've been using humbrol decal fix before laying the decal down and then brushing over with more. Again first time I've used anything other than a saucer of water. I'm quite pleased with the results so far...

Image

Image

It's beginning to come together.

Image

Cheers for looking and any comments or advice always welcome, just be gentle add this is my first model since kiddie days.

Cheers Nige

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 pm
by Nev
Looks great mate :thumb2: nice job on the camo and decals!!

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:39 pm
by Graham910
good build mate hate the pilot you get with the kit though

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:26 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Latest update...

Well I haven't posted much progress recently as things all went a bit part shaped. After apolitical all decals and being reasonably happy with them as an previously I received a parcel from the postie. Some Ultimate dark dirt weather wash. Which I was very rather to apply, too eager.

First off it didn't look to bad on the pilot. However, i rushed slapping it on the spitfire. Stupidly thought that because I had hand brushed everything in enable paint I wouldn't need a clear coat! Well I have learnt from my mistakes. After applying a generous coat of dirt to the model and waiting for it to dry I realised that it theneould not wipe off at all.

Much scrubbing only resulted in fading it slightly and knackering several decals.

I theregore pushed the model to the bank of the bench and poured myself a large vodka to drown my sorrows.

A few days later with a clear head I have all the knackered sections a new coat of paint and things started to look a bit better but now a good few decals were lost. Quick email to Airfix and pasting with a few more quid a new decal sheet arrived from my friendly postie who I'm now getting to know far more since restarting this hobby. I once again carefully applied the decals.

A few touch ups andy first little modification, a handle on the cockpit door and here is how it's looking.

Image

Image

I've still got a few bits to tidy up but I'm going to have a bit of time away from it before risking the weathering again. I'll post some more pictures when the light is better.

Cheers for looking and really any advice on weathering etc is very much appeviated. I don't want to learn through experience like this again, it's costly.

Nige

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:32 am
by NorthernModeller
very nice work so far mate

Re: 1:24 airfix supermarine spitfire mk Vb

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:19 pm
by 1975GinjaNinja
Cheers fella,

Here are a few more pictures. It still needs a tiny bit of paint touching up and then clear coat before weathering but that's fir a later date. Oh and it needs antenna.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Cheers

Nige :cheers2: