'66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post Reply
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

'66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post by alextheblue »

It's been a while since I've posted anything meaningful, so apologies for that, although you may be wishing that I'd left it a whole lot longer when you see what I'm putting up!! I still look in on the old forum very regularly and I must say that the standard of work keeps going from strength to strength. It's also nice to see the wide range of models that are being showcased and I've especially been admiring and drooling over all the cars and bikes. The quality and level of detail that you car guys achieve is absolutely mind-blowing - truly, wow!!! :bow::

Now, being a dyed-in-the-wool tread-head, armour is my thing and especially WW2 tanks, but as I say, seeing all of these super shiny cars with their high gloss finishes and ultra detailed engines etc., it really got me hankering after having a go myself. In the past I have worked on many real cars and like most spotty teenagers with a set of spanners, tons of enthusiasm, but very little know how, I cut my automotive teeth on the good old air-cooled people's wagon that is the VW Beetle. So what better place to start with a 1/24 scale version.

Those that know me will know that my ability to plan is virtually non-existent and if I had any less patience I would be Doctor Crippen (see what I did there, patience....patients!!!!.......oh, well, suit yourself! :crazy: ). Armed with those two attributes in my skill-set, I dived into Tamiya's 1300cc 1966 Beetle....but, with a slight twist.

This is where my utter lack of planning comes to the fore, as I had pretty much assembled the kit when I suddenly realised that I don't own a single pot of gloss paint. It was also around this time that I noticed that the windscreen had a slight crack in it. The sensible person would have ordered themselves some suitable gloss paint and varnish along with a shiny new windscreen. Nah!!! Not for me.....push on regardless.....improvise is the keyword.

With that in mind, I decided to depict this old "beauty" in a slightly different light and if anything it more accurately depicts some of the cars that I have worked on myself!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
:th: Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


So there it is - the red is a matte VMA with a gazillion coats of Klear and as the build wasn't a particularly serious one, I didn't bother removing the horrible chrome effect. I must apologise to all the serious car builders, but I hope you you kinda like my woeful tongue-in-cheek, half arsed attempt. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I may even get myself another car kit and have a proper go next time.

Thanks for taking a look!
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
HIghAltitudeScale
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 406
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:51 am
United States of America

Re: '66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post by HIghAltitudeScale »

Damn that looks really great you are doing magical work
Cheers,
Bret aka: High Altitude Scale Models
thetechcowboy.com
youtube-High Altitude Scale Modeling

Current build;
1/72 Airfix B-17G
1/48 Hobby Boss Bearcat
User avatar
demarcation
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Denmark
Denmark

Re: '66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post by demarcation »

Awesome work mate, looks like the real thing!! :clap:
:cheers2:

//Anders
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: '66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post by chalkyw »

Superb.....love the rusty look :th:

A VW Beetle was my first and second car and I've got this kit in mind for the future.....lovin this though :banana:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: '66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post by alextheblue »

thetechcowboy wrote:Damn that looks really great you are doing magical work
Thanks Bret! :th:

Oh, it's magical alright. One minute it's a perfectly presentable box of styrene sprues, but with a couple of waves of my magic scalpel, plus a few dabs of TET and behold.........

Drum roll!!................

Tah dah!!!................

A pile of steaming crap! :tongue:

demarcation wrote:Awesome work mate, looks like the real thing!! :clap:
Thanks, appreciate you stopping by and taking a look! :th:

chalkyw wrote:Superb.....love the rusty look :th:

A VW Beetle was my first and second car and I've got this kit in mind for the future.....lovin this though :banana:
Thanks chalkyw, you gotta love the Beetle, iconic car! :th: It's a great little kit, goes together real nice and I would definitely recommend.
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
badpirate
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Newport News, Virginia
United States of America

Re: '66 Beetle....past its best!!

Post by badpirate »

A little TLC and lots of paint and she'll shine like new. Awesome work on such an iconic vehicle :clap:
Mike

On the bench, or in my case, the desk;
Hobbyboss 1/350 USS Greeneville
Tamiya 1/35 Russian Field Car GAZ67B
Trumpter 1/72 CH-47D Chinook
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”