There will be 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes kindly donated by Skullfish, Chief5437, and Lysus.
Because at ISM our ethos is that it doesn't matter what you build or how it turns out, as long as you enjoyed the journey, the way who gets the prizes is determined is going to be totally different to every other modelling website! It's not going to be just the prettiest or best built model that wins or places, the prizes will go to the best overall build thread. This means the more back story to your model you post, the more updates (with pictures) you post, the better the explanation of your techniques to achieve the end result you post (including your YouTube vids), the better chance you will have of getting placed for a prize. Basically what this means is that the more you share your information, the better the benefit to the modelling community, which in turn benefits every one of us. So, it doesn't matter if you're all thumbs, just started modelling last week, or can't achieve an exact replica of the subject you're building, we want to see that you've enjoyed the journey to the end result, no matter how it's turned out and most importantly, that you've had FUN getting there.....
Special interest group builds are great fun and gets a committed few working together towards the same goal and helps to get modellers out of their usual comfort zone and try something else whilst sharing their tips & techniques with the whole community. If you've never entered one before, don't be shy and have a go, we'd love to see your work....
Summer Sci-Fi Special Interest Group Build Guidelines - PLEASE READ
Objective: Build and share any science fiction plastic or resin kit from any film, television, print, or animated feature (or from the depths of your own imagination).
Summer Sci-Fi Special Interest Group Build Guidelines...
Any plastic or resin Sci-fi kit.
Any kit manufacturer.
Any scale.
Anyone may join, no skill requirement, no kit complexity minimum.
No restrictions on aftermarket products (decals, PE, etc.) or additional material.
Scratch building is allowed.
You may enter as many times as you like, build as many kits as you like.
All kits must be not be started prior to the start date - no exceptions (damaged while in transit sprue parts are allowed).
All entries must have a build thread in this SiG forum area for the entry to be valid.
A progressive build thread must be posted - which must include sprue and box shots, regular picture and/or video updates with comments on hints & tips - by sharing your build progress others can learn.
You must provide a minimum of three still photographs (as well as any video) as part of your final reveal.
Have FUN
If you're not sure of anything regarding the guidelines or the build in general, then please PM Lysus for help. If you need further assistance with the forum, contact Les, GB Team Leader.
Don't forget - It's not going to necessarily be the prettiest model that gets placed, it'll be the overall build thread, the contribution made and the information provided by that member that decides the prizes. Places will be chosen by the SiG owner and his decision is final.
Good luck people
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:52 am
by chief5437
Sweet!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 am
by Lysus
chief5437 wrote:Sweet!
Ya, we did it!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 am
by kiwigav
Great stuff Skullfish, Chief5437, and Lysus.
will see what I can find to build
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:21 pm
by Skullfish
Jase
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:37 pm
by Astaroth
Thanks guys for making this happen.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm
by Lysus
kiwigav wrote:Great stuff Skullfish, Chief5437, and Lysus.
will see what I can find to build
Sweet!
Skullfish wrote:
Jase
indeed.
Astaroth wrote:Thanks guys for making this happen.
Nah, you guys all made it happen. Friday can't get here fast enough!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:22 pm
by Primus1
Hi Guys, will deffinatly be giving this a go as a complete noob, got a few BSG boxes to crack open..... cant wait
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 am
by MarkVerploeg
I have a question about this
For my birthday i received a figure wich i hope i can enter
But i'm not sure if it will qualify
That figure is of Lilith
This figure is taken from the graphic novels called Malefic times by the Royo brothers but the character Lilith is actually much older then that and can even be found in various religious writings
And before i step on anyones toes i don't want to call religion sci fi
From what i found she actually was the first woman and not Eve
But she was a bit naughty and so she was removed and replaced
According to the Christian belief but she also appears in the Hebrew writings as a sort of demon
Anyway before i get a really long story here
Would this figure qualify
I'm not sure if i can enter it yet as we have some busy times ahead at work and i still have a bunch of builds on the go that need to be finished first but i want to know just in case i do have enough time
Cheers
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 pm
by Lysus
MarkVerploeg wrote:I have a question about this
For my birthday i received a figure wich i hope i can enter
But i'm not sure if it will qualify
That figure is of Lilith
This figure is taken from the graphic novels called Malefic times by the Royo brothers but the character Lilith is actually much older then that and can even be found in various religious writings
And before i step on anyones toes i don't want to call religion sci fi
From what i found she actually was the first woman and not Eve
But she was a bit naughty and so she was removed and replaced
According to the Christian belief but she also appears in the Hebrew writings as a sort of demon
Anyway before i get a really long story here
Would this figure qualify
I'm not sure if i can enter it yet as we have some busy times ahead at work and i still have a bunch of builds on the go that need to be finished first but i want to know just in case i do have enough time
Cheers
So I had seen some Malefic Time minis in my day, but I wasn't too up on the story. It's an apocalyptic set in 2038 or so, and though it uses characters from myth it's sci-fi in the same way as CyberPunk or Shadowrun as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure if it would offend anyone, I don't think it would. It's not a literal representation of the myth, just an appropriated one
It's a really cool figure, I'd say go for it if you have the time.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:02 pm
by MarkVerploeg
Lysus wrote:
MarkVerploeg wrote:I have a question about this
For my birthday i received a figure wich i hope i can enter
But i'm not sure if it will qualify
That figure is of Lilith
This figure is taken from the graphic novels called Malefic times by the Royo brothers but the character Lilith is actually much older then that and can even be found in various religious writings
And before i step on anyones toes i don't want to call religion sci fi
From what i found she actually was the first woman and not Eve
But she was a bit naughty and so she was removed and replaced
According to the Christian belief but she also appears in the Hebrew writings as a sort of demon
Anyway before i get a really long story here
Would this figure qualify
I'm not sure if i can enter it yet as we have some busy times ahead at work and i still have a bunch of builds on the go that need to be finished first but i want to know just in case i do have enough time
Cheers
So I had seen some Malefic Time minis in my day, but I wasn't too up on the story. It's an apocalyptic set in 2038 or so, and though it uses characters from myth it's sci-fi in the same way as CyberPunk or Shadowrun as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure if it would offend anyone, I don't think it would. It's not a literal representation of the myth, just an appropriated one
It's a really cool figure, I'd say go for it if you have the time.
It is suprising how little i could find about the story
Other then some background info about some characters and the fact the series is made up from 3 books
But i wasn't sure if i could enter it because the character of Lilith is found in these books aswell as in actuall writings in religious books and old stories
A big problem for me is that i know next to nothing about sci-fi or what the enthousiast sees as sci-fi and what not
So that is why i asked
If i can find some time i will try to enter this sig
I don't think i will enter a couple of the upcoming sig's and gb's as they aren't really my "thing" allthough i have some floaty stuff
Allthough i want to save those for now
But i really want to get into some figures and i ordered some more today and some reading material to get better at it
Since i know very little about the subject other then the figures i painted for some tanks and diorama's
But that isn't the same to me
I want to do the same stuff like you see from masters like Pepa Savreeda
Allthough she is light years ahead of me but that in the end is my goal
And these some what bigger figures just offer much more detail to play with
And the fact that resin isn't affected by the cleaner i use means i can mess it up ,clean it and try again
So if i have some spare time after i completed some current work i will open up a thread and show my figure painting adventures
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:00 am
by MarkVerploeg
Okay then
I made a major boo boo
In my entheusiasm i started cleaning and building the figure i was going to enter
I totally forgot that the sig didn't start yet
So with that in mind i will put the Lilith figure in the figure section
Maybe i can find something else to enter later on
I need to go to the modelling shop later this week anyway to get some paints for a bunch of figures so maybe he has something laying around that i can enter
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:17 pm
by Lysus
Heh, I can understand wanting to start that right away. Oops!
Just one more day to wait!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:15 pm
by MarkVerploeg
Lysus wrote:Heh, I can understand wanting to start that right away. Oops!
Just one more day to wait!
I will see if i can find another kit for the sig
If not that i will have to pass in this build
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:44 pm
by Lysus
MarkVerploeg wrote:
Lysus wrote:Heh, I can understand wanting to start that right away. Oops!
Just one more day to wait!
I will see if i can find another kit for the sig
If not that i will have to pass in this build
No worries, and this one runs for four months since it started up so quickly. Plenty of time yet
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:22 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Canada has a looming mail strike suspected to start in July...hope my kits squeak in before it starts
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:03 pm
by Madmattmodels89
Guys I have a question. The kit I started for my entry is going to be made up from left over old kits I had and mainly an old f16 monogram kit I had for ever and lost a lot of parts, I was using the main fuselage as a paint dummy. I have Sprue shots but is all spare parts that will be molded into a custom made interstellar Heavy Bomber( straight out of my mind)
Is it ok as for an entry? Or do I need to buy an actual kit? Thanks
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:07 pm
by DBMiller
I'm glad this is a go! I have dozens of sci-fi kits to choose but I think I know which one it will be.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:08 pm
by Lysus
Madmattmodels89 wrote:Guys I have a question. The kit I started for my entry is going to be made up from left over old kits I had and mainly an old f16 monogram kit I had for ever and lost a lot of parts, I was using the main fuselage as a paint dummy. I have Sprue shots but is all spare parts that will be molded into a custom made interstellar Heavy Bomber( straight out of my mind)
Is it ok as for an entry? Or do I need to buy an actual kit? Thanks
Yeah, that operates in a strange place given the rules, but I'm gonna say that since scratch building is allowed, it trumps "unstarted condition" so long as you can show that none of the work done on the bench mule translates into the finished kit. Go ahead and post the pics in the WIP, if it's not acceptable I can let you know, but it sounds to me like it's a pile of parts you want to use and that should be just fine!
It's meant to be fun, not worrisome, so go have fun
Great question!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:10 pm
by Lysus
DBMiller wrote:I'm glad this is a go! I have dozens of sci-fi kits to choose but I think I know which one it will be.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:16 pm
by Madmattmodels89
Lysus wrote:
Madmattmodels89 wrote:Guys I have a question. The kit I started for my entry is going to be made up from left over old kits I had and mainly an old f16 monogram kit I had for ever and lost a lot of parts, I was using the main fuselage as a paint dummy. I have Sprue shots but is all spare parts that will be molded into a custom made interstellar Heavy Bomber( straight out of my mind)
Is it ok as for an entry? Or do I need to buy an actual kit? Thanks
Yeah, that operates in a strange place given the rules, but I'm gonna say that since scratch building is allowed, it trumps "unstarted condition" so long as you can show that none of the work done on the bench mule translates into the finished kit. Go ahead and post the pics in the WIP, if it's not acceptable I can let you know, but it sounds to me like it's a pile of parts you want to use and that should be just fine!
It's meant to be fun, not worrisome, so go have fun
Great question!
Done! Check it out and let me know. Like I said it was my mule ( I used it long time ago to paint my cars as you can see from the pics. I love scratchbuilding cause it allows me to come up with original designs !
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:22 pm
by Lysus
Madmattmodels89 wrote:
Lysus wrote:
Madmattmodels89 wrote:Guys I have a question. The kit I started for my entry is going to be made up from left over old kits I had and mainly an old f16 monogram kit I had for ever and lost a lot of parts, I was using the main fuselage as a paint dummy. I have Sprue shots but is all spare parts that will be molded into a custom made interstellar Heavy Bomber( straight out of my mind)
Is it ok as for an entry? Or do I need to buy an actual kit? Thanks
Yeah, that operates in a strange place given the rules, but I'm gonna say that since scratch building is allowed, it trumps "unstarted condition" so long as you can show that none of the work done on the bench mule translates into the finished kit. Go ahead and post the pics in the WIP, if it's not acceptable I can let you know, but it sounds to me like it's a pile of parts you want to use and that should be just fine!
It's meant to be fun, not worrisome, so go have fun
Great question!
Done! Check it out and let me know. Like I said it was my mule ( I used it long time ago to paint my cars as you can see from the pics. I love scratchbuilding cause it allows me to come up with original designs !
Yeah man, it looks like a project and a half, two fuselage halves and a cockpit do not a nearly finished model make--no cheating there You have my approval, go build something wonderful!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:41 pm
by Madmattmodels89
Lysus wrote:
Madmattmodels89 wrote:
Lysus wrote:
Yeah, that operates in a strange place given the rules, but I'm gonna say that since scratch building is allowed, it trumps "unstarted condition" so long as you can show that none of the work done on the bench mule translates into the finished kit. Go ahead and post the pics in the WIP, if it's not acceptable I can let you know, but it sounds to me like it's a pile of parts you want to use and that should be just fine!
It's meant to be fun, not worrisome, so go have fun
Great question!
Done! Check it out and let me know. Like I said it was my mule ( I used it long time ago to paint my cars as you can see from the pics. I love scratchbuilding cause it allows me to come up with original designs !
Yeah man, it looks like a project and a half, two fuselage halves and a cockpit do not a nearly finished model make--no cheating there You have my approval, go build something wonderful!
Yes!!! Thanks I won't disappoint
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:09 pm
by DBMiller
Lysus wrote:
DBMiller wrote:I'm glad this is a go! I have dozens of sci-fi kits to choose but I think I know which one it will be.
Ha! I wish!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:49 pm
by Primus1
Thanks for getting this underway guys, hoping i can do you all proud and look forward to seeing all these creations taking shape
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:54 pm
by Stokesy44
Bit of inspiration for us all. Found this on YT a few months ago. Whoever put the music from Oblivion to this Vid should win some kind of an Oscar.
It conveys the tone of the series so brilliantly. Hope you click and enjoy.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:59 pm
by Stokesy44
Also, your timing sucks Guys!
First time in my life I've got an actual stash and have I got any Sci Fi kits? Have I F##k!
Wallet! WALLET!!!!!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:00 pm
by Lysus
Stokesy44 wrote:Also, your timing sucks Guys!
First time in my life I've got an actual stash and have I got any Sci Fi kits? Have I F##k!
Wallet! WALLET!!!!!
I excel at making money disappear.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 pm
by Lysus
Stokesy44 wrote:Bit of inspiration for us all. Found this on YT a few months ago. Whoever put the music from Oblivion to this Vid should win some kind of an Oscar.
It conveys the tone of the series so brilliantly. Hope you click and enjoy.
Yeah, always thought Oblivion to be an underrated flick, and that was largely due to that soundtrack...so good.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:15 pm
by Colinstelma
Nice, I might have to get in on this one. I've got a ton of sci-if kits in the stash that I'd like to get done before I have to move to Asia. Hmm, which one to do?
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:24 pm
by wookiee76
How would you view a character from the marvel universe like iron man or black widow, sci fi or not?
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:06 pm
by Paul
wookiee76 wrote:How would you view a character from the marvel universe like iron man or black widow, sci fi or not?
I would say yeah but its up to jason really
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:44 pm
by wookiee76
I was going to get black widow anyway, just be nice to have a reason to.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:22 pm
by Lysus
Paul wrote:
wookiee76 wrote:How would you view a character from the marvel universe like iron man or black widow, sci fi or not?
I would say yeah but its up to jason really
I agree, it's a go if you want.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:06 am
by wookiee76
Woohoo, then count me in guys.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 am
by Primus1
did someone just say Black Widow ??????
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 pm
by Primus1
Going through and looking at all these awesome builds i worry 1 that im not working fast enough, 2 that im boring people with too many pics of my work and 3 that im way out of my league.
You guys are truely great, your work is stunning and the support offered is nothing short of spectacular.
Happy modelling peeps
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:51 pm
by Lysus
Primus1 wrote:Going through and looking at all these awesome builds i worry 1 that im not working fast enough, 2 that im boring people with too many pics of my work and 3 that im way out of my league.
You guys are truely great, your work is stunning and the support offered is nothing short of spectacular.
Happy modelling peeps
1) Still have three MONTHS to go, so don't feel rushed
2) I'm not bored at all, and the more pics the better!
3) Anyone can cook...err...build. It's the journey, not the destination, etc. I think your're doing great and look forward to more
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:49 pm
by MarkVerploeg
Primus1 wrote:Going through and looking at all these awesome builds i worry 1 that im not working fast enough, 2 that im boring people with too many pics of my work and 3 that im way out of my league.
You guys are truely great, your work is stunning and the support offered is nothing short of spectacular.
Happy modelling peeps
Don't worry about you skill level mate
Just do what you like and you will get better with every build
And pics are always good
I have some threads with 200 photo's
The more you show the better
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:37 pm
by Primus1
Thanks guys, im just a little overwhelmed sometimes looking at all this work going on and being surrounded by so much talent.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 pm
by rwsmith14
Been wanting to join this SIG.. would the below kit be acceptable??
thanks
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:53 pm
by Lysus
Primus1 wrote:Thanks guys, im just a little overwhelmed sometimes looking at all this work going on and being surrounded by so much talent.
I document some of my mistakes, but not all. The threads aren't always the whole story
No one here will criticize a build unless you specifically ask for it. Breathe easy and enjoy yourself. I'm a noob, many others are, too. And the rock star builders? They were once noobs as well.
All skill levels welcomed equally here.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:55 pm
by Lysus
rwsmith14 wrote:Been wanting to join this SIG.. would the below kit be acceptable??
thanks
Absolutely! Jules Verne practically invented the genre, and that's a classic design I'd love to see built.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 pm
by Primus1
Lysus wrote:
rwsmith14 wrote:Been wanting to join this SIG.. would the below kit be acceptable??
thanks
Absolutely! Jules Verne practically invented the genre, and that's a classic design I'd love to see built.
Nautilus .... very cool, had a hankering for one of these for a long time now.
Saw a vid on youtube where a guy painted his with a paint so heavy with iron that he actually got it to rust ... it looked fantastic.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:04 pm
by Primus1
Lysus wrote:
Primus1 wrote:Thanks guys, im just a little overwhelmed sometimes looking at all this work going on and being surrounded by so much talent.
I document some of my mistakes, but not all. The threads aren't always the whole story
No one here will criticize a build unless you specifically ask for it. Breathe easy and enjoy yourself. I'm a noob, many others are, too. And the rock star builders? They were once noobs as well.
All skill levels welcomed equally here.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, much appreciated.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 pm
by MarkVerploeg
Primus1 wrote:Thanks guys, im just a little overwhelmed sometimes looking at all this work going on and being surrounded by so much talent.
I know what you mean
But then again you get better wich each build
If you are willing to learn and try things ofcourse
I have several books on the shelf like the Tankart series and the FAQ2 book
Those are filled with builds that are way better then my builds
But next to the eyecandy they offer you the instructions for the techniques that these modellers use
I simply pick 1 technique and add that to my routine
Once i feel that i am used to this technique i move on to the next
It takes me several builds before i feel like i am used to using a technique or product (either home made or bought)
But what i like about this hobby is that you get better at it
This is a link to my portfolio http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... =69&t=3195 it isn't fully up to date but to prove my point just take a look at the first post and then the work on the last page
They are miles apart in terms of the skill level
And they where build 2 to 3 years apart
But it does show that there is progres
And the same applies to you
Just take a look at your older builds compared to your last build
I'll bet there is a difference in the quality of the work
All it takes is some time and effort
And aslong as you are having fun in the proces all is good
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
rwsmith14 wrote:Been wanting to join this SIG.. would the below kit be acceptable??
thanks
YES!!!!!!!!!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:17 pm
by rwsmith14
Lysus wrote:
rwsmith14 wrote:Been wanting to join this SIG.. would the below kit be acceptable??
thanks
Absolutely! Jules Verne practically invented the genre, and that's a classic design I'd love to see built.
Great I'm IN !!!
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:52 pm
by Lysus
Twokidsnosleep wrote:
rwsmith14 wrote:Been wanting to join this SIG.. would the below kit be acceptable??
thanks
YES!!!!!!!!!
I think Scott agrees.
Re: Guidelines and Rules...
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:53 pm
by Lysus
MarkVerploeg wrote:
Primus1 wrote:Thanks guys, im just a little overwhelmed sometimes looking at all this work going on and being surrounded by so much talent.
I know what you mean
But then again you get better wich each build
If you are willing to learn and try things ofcourse
I have several books on the shelf like the Tankart series and the FAQ2 book
Those are filled with builds that are way better then my builds
But next to the eyecandy they offer you the instructions for the techniques that these modellers use
I simply pick 1 technique and add that to my routine
Once i feel that i am used to this technique i move on to the next
It takes me several builds before i feel like i am used to using a technique or product (either home made or bought)
But what i like about this hobby is that you get better at it
This is a link to my portfolio http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... =69&t=3195 it isn't fully up to date but to prove my point just take a look at the first post and then the work on the last page
They are miles apart in terms of the skill level
And they where build 2 to 3 years apart
But it does show that there is progres
And the same applies to you
Just take a look at your older builds compared to your last build
I'll bet there is a difference in the quality of the work
All it takes is some time and effort
And aslong as you are having fun in the proces all is good