Page 1 of 1

Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 pm
by Willem
Ah go on then, why not?

Was going to sit this one out because of this year's self-imposed kit embargo. Decided I was going to build more than I buy this year. I'll let you know how that's going later on. However............

I bought this kit for a fiver way back when I first got back into the hobby. Of course, I naively didn't know what I was getting into and it just seemed like a mint buy until I got it home. Oddly enough, I read a build article on this kit shortly after (I think it was Tony O'Toole but apologies if my memory deceives) and the result was stunning. So I thought 'one day........' and it went into the stash. I've just spent an hour searching in my magazine dungeon looking for the article but to no avail.

Ta Da!

Image

Image

Some aftermarket that seems to have been ordered at some point. Don't know about the tail surfaces as they are for the Tamiya kit. On the subject of which, I've just checked the Tamiya in my stash (non floats) and it has a spare oil cooler which I can snaffle for this build. Engine looks nice though.

Image

Image

I'll post some sprue shots when the build kicks off so that you can all point and snigger. :oops:

So I'm in. Kit cost a fiver so even if it goes belly up it doesn't matter so much.

:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 pm
by Avgas
:pop: I shall share your pain with the rigging...I went through a phase of building biplanes but I'm cured now.

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:42 am
by gaz45
Nice choice there mate

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:00 am
by Lysus
Willem wrote:Ah go on then, why not?

Was going to sit this one out because of this year's self-imposed kit embargo. Decided I was going to build more than I buy this year. I'll let you know how that's going later on. However............
Good, good, let the TET fumes flow through you...

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:13 am
by Vleugelmoer
What a cool subject Willem, always nice to see a swordfish on floats for a change.

:pop: looking forward to this coming together over the next three months.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:01 pm
by Cymru
I have the Trumpeter, non float, in my stash, not had the nerve to start it so ... :pop:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:49 pm
by rodrant
Very nice will ! Glad to see you participating o this one mattey ! welcome aboard ;)

Seems a nice looking Swordfish ! Good luck with the build buddy !

:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:19 pm
by Willem
Thanks Fellas.

There now follows some sprue shots. No laughing at the back please.

Image

Going to need that after market engine.

Image

Image

There's more flash in this kit than a Beyoncé photo shoot. Wonder how old these moulds are? Second thoughts, I'd rather not know.

Image

Image

Canopy

Image

'structions: Bang, done. Nope. Don't think so.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Yeah

Decals.

Image

Meh

The scheme I like

Image

I note the time that I put up my original post joining this SIG. Don't know what I was drinking, sorry thinking. However.... I'll give it a good go.

Thanks for looking.


:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:42 pm
by chief5437
Looks like you've got your work cut out on this one!! :eeek:

Best of luck with it buddy :th: :th:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 pm
by Nev
Blimey mate that looks sandtastic! Then again if anyone can do it it's you fella :eeek:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:31 pm
by AdamLuscombe
Nice subject, looking forward to seeing it complete :th:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:35 am
by InitialProduction1
Hey Willem great subject, got to say I thought my LCVP had cornered the market on flash, looks like you'll be busy on the clean up. Looking forward to your build.

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:44 pm
by Willem
Sorry folks but I'm going to have to sit this one out.

I sat at the bench yesterday morning and looked through the work needed to do on this kit and it just wasn't doing it for me. I'm starting to feel the enthusiasm waning and this looks to be a bit of a mojo killer for me at the moment.

I'm going to get a few unfinished builds done for a month or two as this usually rekindles the enthusiasm.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to comment.

:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Darn
I come late to the party and it is already over ;)
No worries, you are the master of your time and deserve the vacation time off to do as you see fit.
I have seen a Swordfish in a diorama dropping a torpedo into water..... just a spectacular build

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:43 pm
by Willem
Cheers buddy.

I have a Tamiya Swordfish with all the bells and whistles waiting in the stash. Maybe I'll do that one first.

:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:22 pm
by Lysus
Yeah, it's all about what makes you happy, and if exiling the kit to the shelf for a while--or forever--is what makes you happy then do it! No sense in turning it into a chore.

:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:44 pm
by Willem
Cheers mate.

Yeah. It will go back to the stash but it will be built one day.

:cheers2:

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:21 pm
by pourquoi61
Willem wrote:Cheers mate.

Yeah. It will go back to the stash but it will be built one day.

:cheers2:
Well I think it would make a fine model, I built the Airco DH 2 out the box and I liked it. Just been up in the loft to find it but I can not! Shame.

Re: Smer 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk II Floatplane

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:28 pm
by Avgas
I built the Airco DH 2 out the box and I liked it.
Crikey, I built one of those once, took me longer to rig it than it did to build it.

I get like that Will, I have kits on the bench and I look at them and they just don't say 'build me'.