Page 1 of 1

Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 pm
by Gav0909
Thought I would post this up here, mostly as motivation for myself. Most of you might know that I was a wargamer for many years, until I got back into scale modelling recently. I had Warhammer 40k armies and in recent years had gotten into Flames of War, which is a 15mm scale (1/100) WW2 themed game, with armies consisting of tanks, infantry, armoured vehicles, artillery etc.

Anyway I have stopped that also and sold off my two main armies, a Late War (Normandy) themed British Army, and my Early War Afrika Korps. However the friend I sold the DAK too wanted me to finish painting the army so it would all match, which I said wouldn't be a problem as there wasn't much left to do.

However my lack of mojo for anything wargaming related has meant that I still haven't gotten this finished! Over the weekend I forced myself to sit down and make some progress on the PzIIIs that needed finishing.

I haven't any pics of the ones I was working on but here I will show you what I am aiming for standard wise, as well as some shots of the other stuff already completed for this.

Here is a Schutzen platoon, these guys were the forerunners to the Panzergrenadiers and were all mounted in halftracks.
Image
Image
Image

Little PzIII
Image
Image

88
Image
Image
Image

PzIV platoon
Image
Image

So I have another 88 to finish weathering, a machine gun platoon (4 bases of infantry similar to above), and 3 more PzIVs to finish weathering. I just have final details and decals to add to the PzIIIs and this lot should be done!

Let me know what you think. The PzIIIs and halftracks are more scale mode kits, as each is a multipart plastic kit, whereas the PzIVs are a solid resin body and turret, with cast metal track sides, hence some of the details are a touch soft.

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 pm
by T3hGuppy
Nice looking DAK :th:

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:24 pm
by Paul
Brilliant work gav, love the halftracks and the panzer 3, great work on such little subjects

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 am
by Coen
Holy moly... small Dude.
You'll go blind if you keep playing with that.

It takes a very special set of skills and patience to build at that scale... something that I don't have.
Great stuff Gav.

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:42 am
by wappynutter
Excellent weathering skills at such a small scale dude... :clap:

Is the chipping effect paint or the old salt or hairspray technique?

Keep it up dude..
Great little pieces.
:cheers2:

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 am
by Gav0909
Cheers guys.

Wappy - the chipping is done with Vallejo Liquid Mask (like Humbrol maskol), paint the vehicle German Grey, then dab splotches of the liquid mask on it, paint the vehicle Dark Sand, take of the mask, paint the details and then dust with Medium Earth pigment from Forgeworld, remove excess with white spirit (helps fix it too) and they are pretty much done.

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm
by longlance67
Nice looking DAK mate,

working on a DAK MG company from burning empires at the moment ;)

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm
by UKscalemodeller
Nice work Dave. . . Gav

I may put some pictures of my 6mm ACW figures on here

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:50 pm
by Coen
[youtube]rtDAK7Umk7A[/youtube]

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:06 am
by Matthew
Great work m8

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:51 am
by Pir8hnter
Nice looking work. I wear trifocals, so 1:48 is about as small as I want to go.
Yours
Pir8hnter

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 pm
by Rob
Ha! Great models from Gav and now Cheech and Chong from Coen. Bliss. :D

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:43 am
by longlance67
Nice work mate


have a DAK force on the go too at the moment


nice work



Shane