evolving in hobby

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
WMH
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 am
Location: Qld, Australia

evolving in hobby

Post by WMH »

Below is a statement made by a couple of very well-known modellers I won’t say who made in a figure painting book, even though talking about paints/painting it to me really does explain how I believe we evolve in this hobby.

“We thought long and hard about including this color guide in the book. The reason being that if the reader uses it as the only way to select colors, he will never evolve as a modeller. We want you to experiment! This book is intended as a general guide and nothing more.”

What does this all mean? To me it is simply colours may have a set name, mixture/formula when seen on and on a flat/even surface with even lighting that is fantastic but in reality many real life factors alter the way true colours appear.

Example other than just of scale would include:
• Lighting natural or artificial including the direction.
• Aging both time frame and weathering
• Natural Bleaching
• Or Washing
• Different manufacturers both of materials ,dye, paints and so on
• Also aging of varying equipment, repairs. Include different manufactures of things like shirt and pants worn together.

As you can see true colours can appear vary different to the eye, I am sure there are even more factors than the list I made.

In closing I believe.
Through experience, experimenting and knowledge each person grows with his or her own techniques and forever learning even if we don’t change our own methods.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: evolving in hobby

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Yep, I think you have the right gist of what was written
Often people want cook book, shake and bake, paint by numbers, follow a simple easy quick path and you get exact results.Then get mad when it doesn't pan out
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: evolving in hobby

Post by Lysus »

Coming back into the hobby after a two decade break I cam say the cookbook is nice. Before I was just slamming brushes onto plastic with nothing but magazines to help, and even then I didn't buy many because a) I was a broke preteen/teen and b) I spent what I had on kits and paint. Unless i ventured out into a swap meet there weren't many resources available.

So for me, a standard is nice. However I'm well aware that with each new thing I try "by the book" I need to remain open to my own intuition. It's my favorite part of the process and why I decided I needed it back in my life.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: evolving in hobby

Post by Stokesy44 »

I think with nearly every kit there's a moment when one thinks, 'I'll remember that for next time,' whether its the avoidance of repeating a mistake or the successful use of a new process. Paint guides are useful and some bespoke sets are great (Vallejo's RLM sets for example) but they only really form the bases on which we play our games!

It always fascinates me when I look through the WIP sections of the forum and look at kits that are at the base coat stage compared to the final results. From plastic to fantastic via pre-shades, washes, filters, oils, chipping, dry-brushing, bleaching etc.

We are Artists! - Mind you, some would say Divas :crazy:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: evolving in hobby

Post by Garion77 »

For me, just starting in military modeling and beeing color blind I need some color charts. That part for me is really hard to evolve
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: evolving in hobby

Post by digger303 »

Garion77 wrote:For me, just starting in military modeling and beeing color blind I need some color charts. That part for me is really hard to evolve

colour blind would be a damn nuisance. Do you put a lot of reliance on the colour call outs on the instructions
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: evolving in hobby

Post by Garion77 »

Yes I do put a lot in the ones mentionned in the instructions since I'm just starting military modeling. I haven't finish one yet but have a few ongoing projects. But I look at what other modelers use and try to find the equivalent on the internet or by the names written by the manufacturer. What' s à bit hard for me is that I see that a lot or people are using Mr. Hobby's plaint for aircrafts. And those are too hard to come by where I'm from. But I started to research planes and look at what was really used. But it's at the weathering part it's hard for me because I don't know muet of the Time what color would match well for washes and filters. I havé to look at a lot of people s work on the Internet to see what they use. And that a lot of notes lol
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”