Page 1 of 1

SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:59 pm
by SkyPainter303
I pulled the trigger and bought a kit for this build. I got the Revell US 1/25 scale Kenworth W900 from Hobby Lobby for $14.99 USD (plus tax) after a 40% Off coupon.

Below is a short history of the W900 as published on Wikipedia:
The engine sizes for the W900 range from 9 liters to 16 liters, and it accommodates up to a 625-horsepower engine. The W900 has front axles from 12,000 to 22,000 lb ratings, and rear axles from 23,000-lb single to 58,000-lb tandems. The "W" stands for "Worthington".[1]

The W900 is still in production after over fifty years, although not much remains unaltered. The early 1960s W900 trucks are identifiable by their delicate external doorhandles, mounted just beneath the side windows. They also have larger ventilation windows in the doors and chromed grabhandles atop the radiator for tilting the hood. The W900's doors are called "bulkhead style" doors and along with bigger front windows and a fibreglass roof panel this is what sets them apart from the earlier Kenworth conventionals. The lower mounted "paddle-style" door latches arrived in 1972. In 1973 the hood emblem was changed for a simplified model with three rather than four red stripes. In February 1982 the design was switched to rectangular headlamps, bringing with it a change in name from W900A (which had been introduced in 1967) to W900B. The W900B also sits higher on the chassis than does its predecessor; in Mexico Kenmex continued to produce the W900A equipped with rectangular headlamps. In October 1987 the new W900S model arrived - this has the same BBC (bumper-to-back-of-cab) as the W900B but a sloped hood (hence the "S") for better visibility. This model is easily confused with the T800 but does not have that model's set-back front axle.

The original truck had a split, flat pane windshield which is still available for certain versions, although since December 1994 the T600's cab using a curved windscreen was added to the lineup. Originally it was only for the long Aerocab and also as an option on the daycab, and it only became available for the W900S in 2006. The flat windscreen is not available on the Aerocab or the extended daycab versions. Strangely, Kenworth offers the curved window either as a one-piece or as a two-piece with a divider in the middle. In March 1998 the very comfortable Studio Aerocab model was introduced.

In 1976 Kenworth introduced a more comfortable and taller cab for long journeys. Also, an even plusher version called the "V.I.T." was introduced, ostensibly to celebrate the American Bicentennial. V.I.T. stood for "Very Important Trucker", and most of these originally limited availabilities such as luxurious double beds and refrigerators entered the regular options list before long.
This Revell model is part of their Historic Series and appears to be a W900A from about 1972-1982.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:44 pm
by SkyPainter303
Revell "Historic Series" means re-pop of a 1982 issue.
Image
kenworth-14 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Using my cheap, $9.99 USD Harbor Freight, single-action airbrush, I primed this huge chassis (shown upside down) in Mr. Surfacer 1200
Image
kenworth-15 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:32 pm
by SkyPainter303
The rear suspension / differentials have been assembled. The pieces practically snap together, but I of course used plastic cement.
Image
kenworth-16 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Here you should be able to see the glue seams and attachment pins that need to be sanded smooth.
Image
kenworth-17 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 am
by SkyPainter303
For this build I am going for that custom truck look. Normally, the chassis would be painted semi-gloss black, but since I am doing custom paint, I airbrushed the chassis with a base coat of Mr. Color 8 Silver.
Image
kenworth-18 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

The top coat will be Testors Flaming Orange One Coat Lacquer decanted from the rattle can so I can apply the color with my airbrush.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:39 am
by Twokidsnosleep
I am a following along :pop:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:58 am
by SkyPainter303
I primed the rear suspension with Mr. Surfacer 1200, then painted it with Vallejo Model Color Gloss Black. In reality, the gloss black has a semi-gloss finish which is appropriate for suspension components.
Image
kenworth-19 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 am
by EricM
after looking a while at your chassis, i think your chassis and the chassis from my Peterbilt are exactly the same.
:jd: :jd: :jd:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:21 am
by SkyPainter303
EricM wrote:after looking a while at your chassis, i think your chassis and the chassis from my Peterbilt are exactly the same.
:jd: :jd: :jd:
Wow, I wonder which one is correct.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:32 am
by SkyPainter303
My Revell Kenworth chassis is now Flaming Orange. It still needs a clear coat or two, but I am mostly pleased.

Image
kenworth-20 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-21 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 am
by SkyPainter303
I got the clear coat on my chassis. I used Vallejo Gloss Varnish, but now, I am not a fan. It is difficult to use as compared to a clear lacquer. Getting it to lay smooth is next to impossible. Also, I think I am going to shoot the body straight from the can instead of decanting the paint. When I decanted the paint to airbrush on the chassis, I think I lost some of the solvents. As a result, the paint actually went on dry and textured.

Image
kenworth-22 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

I need to let the clear coat cure overnight before I continue with this build.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:13 pm
by Lysus
SkyPainter303 wrote:
EricM wrote:after looking a while at your chassis, i think your chassis and the chassis from my Peterbilt are exactly the same.
:jd: :jd: :jd:
Wow, I wonder which one is correct.
Maybe when you're both done they should have a race to determine who is correct?

Sweet rig, I'm in :pop:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:18 am
by SkyPainter303
I thought I should take a short cut and spray the Flaming Orange onto my suspension supports direct from the can onto my silver base coat. This is what I got. The can has less control and the paint flowed to freely leaving thin areas. I decided to strip the paint and airbrush the decanted orange.
Image
kenworth-23 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Here are those pieces after I stripped and re-primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200.
Image
kenworth-27 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:27 am
by SkyPainter303
Most of this truck snaps together, even though this kit isn't marketed as a Snap Tite. The fuel tanks are not an exception. I snapped two halves of the chrome tanks together and saw how terrible the fit was. There was a really ugly seam and gaps on the ends of the tanks. So I broke out the Easy Off Oven Cleaner and vaporized the chrome plating. Here is the result.
Image
kenworth-24 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


After I glued the tanks together, I sanded and filled the seams with Tamiya Putty Basic Type.
Image
kenworth-25 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Next, I primed the tanks which revealed still more work that needed to be done on the seams. I brush painted the seams with Mr. Surfacer.
Image
kenworth-28 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


When that was dry, I wet-sanded with 800 grit paper.
Image
kenworth-29 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Next time at the bench, I'll re-prime. All should be ready for the color coat after that. What ugly seams that may remain will be hidden by the chassis and be facing the ground.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:45 am
by SkyPainter303
Today, I continued working on the fuel tanks. I sprayed on a second coat of primer and the silver base coat.
Image
kenworth-30 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Then it was time for the Flaming Orange. I think it looks pretty good.
Image
kenworth-32 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Imagekenworth-31 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Now I must be brave when I mask the tanks to spray silver on the details.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:25 am
by EricM
looking really good! one thing ive found with these revell kits is that alot of the parts do just "Snap together" but arent really suppose to which is nice but not so nice as you've mentioned above.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:48 am
by SkyPainter303
I got the tanks masked off for painting the details.
Image
kenworth-33 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


Tadaa! They still need some touch up and a clear coat.
Image
kenworth-34 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


I also moved ahead in the instructions and painted the wheel parts. Revell calls for semi gloss black, but I chose a simpler route - Stynylrez black primer.
Image
kenworth-35 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:28 am
by SkyPainter303
Today I finished building the chassis by attaching the fuel tanks with accompanying air tanks, the front suspension, and the wheels. One of the shock absorbers went missing but this doesn't affect the model whatsoever. The front wheels would not snap on, so they are just slipped onto the axle.

Image
kenworth-36 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-37 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-38 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-39 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:39 am
by SkyPainter303
Just a little more progress. The engine parts are primed and ready for the Caterpillar Yellow.

Image
kenworth-40 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:25 am
by Hillbilly
looks great so far :th: Being a truck mechanic this is right up my alley :cheers2:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:59 am
by SkyPainter303
Hillbilly wrote:looks great so far :th: Being a truck mechanic this is right up my alley :cheers2:

Uh oh, now I am afraid for this update. :)

Here is the built up Cat 34DE six cylinder. It will get a gloss coat then an enamel wash to enhance the details. I followed the paint call-outs in the instructions.

Because this kit is mostly snap tite, some of the fitting is problematic. I am dealing with a large gap in the turbo. I applied some Tamiya putty and will file it off tomorrow.

Image
kenworth-41 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-42 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-42 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


BTW: I keep threatening to go to truck driver school, but I have neither the tuition money nor can I leave work. That and at 48 years of age, I can't afford to be a trucker noob's salary.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:22 pm
by SkyPainter303
I am experimenting with a clear coats that are available locally. I wanted to buy some Windsor & Newton Gloss Medium because I saw in a thread that someone was using that. Michael's crafts sells Liquitex brand so that is what I bought. It flows out of the airbrush and onto the model very nicely. It isn't too glossy, but in this instance, that is alright. After I coated the engine, I let it dry then applied some Testors CreateFX Oil stain. This is the first time that I've used this product. It took a bit of practice to get an acceptable effect I was looking for. Once this dries I'll spray on a matte coat. Hopefully that will tone down some of the contrast.

Image
kenworth-46 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Imagekenworth-45 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-44 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
THAT is a great looking engine!!!
:thumb2:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:28 am
by gaz45
Very nice work there :th:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:34 pm
by SkyPainter303
More progress was made this week. I sprayed a matte coat on the engine and installed it into the chassis along with the driveshaft.

Image
kenworth-50 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-51 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-52 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr


A helpful hint: the front spindles should be trimmed about 1/16th an inch so that front wheels will snap on.



I also painted and assembled the interior tub with dashboard. The instrument panel is very nicely molded and paints up very nicely. I used a #0 Royal & Langnickel round brush. When used with Mr. Color lacquers, you get a very nice, pointed strand of bristles that makes detail painting a breeze.

Image
kenworth-47 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-48 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-49 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:51 pm
by Lysus
:jd:

Dat dash...

I haven't tried lacquers for detail work yet, just coats. Maybe I should...

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:00 am
by SkyPainter303
Lysus wrote::jd:

Dat dash...

I haven't tried lacquers for detail work yet, just coats. Maybe I should...

Lacquers dry on the brush really fast, but that seems to be OK for dry brushing.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:22 am
by gaz45
Very nice dash mate

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:45 am
by SkyPainter303
Just so you know: Vallejo Model Color Silver is the worst spraying paint evah! I tried to spray the cab's base coat, but it was so horrible, I had to strip it off. Now I must sand and re-prime.

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:02 am
by ladip63
Love it. The engine and console looks awesome. 10-4

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:21 pm
by Matt58
Looks great really like the orange good choice

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:41 am
by SkyPainter303
I am back on this one. I re-primed the cap and sleeper in black Stynylrez.

Image
kenworth-54 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:02 pm
by SkyPainter303
Slowly, but surely. Here is the cab in aluminum base coat. I sprayed a few coats of the flaming orange and will update another time.

Image
kenworth-55 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:55 pm
by Icemannique
Looking very nice so far. Great job ! :th:

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:55 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Cab looks great, you are knocking this one out!!! :thumb2:
Getting my butt kicked, no time and not any farther on my build.....glad we have until Jan 31st

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 am
by SkyPainter303
The cab and sleeper are now flaming orange. They need some detail painting and clearcoat before decals.

Image
kenworth-57 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
kenworth-56 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:26 pm
by gaz45
Oooh nice

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:19 am
by Matt58
Looking Good

Re: SkyPainter303's Revell Kenworth W900

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:00 am
by SkyPainter303
I've been working on the Kenworth. I got the cab and windows together, the air intake system assembled, painted and installed, and some chrome pieces attached.

Image
P1010586 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
P1010584 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
P1010590 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr

Image
P1010591 by Michael Keogh, on Flickr