Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

With the Tamiya Humber into late painting stage I looked at the next kit. I want to get in on two GB/SIGs which I have kits for so that leaves the Tamiya pz IV ausf d. As spoke1701 is building his too I thought an ideal time as I can watch along with someone else's and learn a bit from them.

I'm going to take a different tack though and use a bunch of aftermarket bits and techniques that will give me the chance to upskill and not risk wrecking a more expensive kit. Will be my first time with PE and not sure what bits I'll use yet.

I'll be going with a late version for 1941 eastern front/Barbarossa.

Thinks I'd like to try are -
  • Adding photo etch - limited amount
    Adding additional stowage to portray a "moving toward the front" idea I had after watching various YouTube documentaries
    Researching and discovering inaccuracies, missed detail such as portraying weld seams, adding texture pre-painting, adding rivets etc. More to start comparing the prototype to the model and seeing what's there or not. I'm not going to get too worried about dimensions or feeling I need to add everything. It's only about learning.
    Either preshading or modulation to get me think in more accurate control of an airbrush
This is a tall order so I'm just going to take this as a test bed and do my best. A lot of these things I've read about online and thought that looks cool. Please do offer advice!

Photos to come!
Last edited by SteveAFV on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

Image

Image
Last edited by SteveAFV on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

As the figures in this kit aren't very nice I thought I'd use them as practice pieces for painting but look to replace them with something nicer molded. Spock1701 had me interested in putting the MG in the coaxial position with commander and crew. Additional figures might fit in well with the "approaching the front" motif. Can anyone recommend some decent styrene figures please?
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
spock1701
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:58 pm
Location: Upstate New York
United States of America

Re: Another Tamiya pz kfw IV ausf d

Post by spock1701 »

SteveAFV wrote:As the figures in this kit aren't very nice I thought I'd use them as practice pieces for painting but look to replace them with something nicer molded. Spock1701 had me interested in putting the MG in the coaxial position with commander and crew. Additional figures might fit in well with the "approaching the front" motif. Can anyone recommend some decent styrene figures please?
I think Dragon makes a good set of figures for Barbarossa.
There is always time for modeling.
User avatar
InitialProduction1
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by InitialProduction1 »

This looks to be a fun build to watch. Got to get the pop corn out :pop: :cheers2:
On the bench
Sturm boot dragon,PZIII ausf J dragon, jagtiger old dragon, initial tiger dragon, tiger rye field,
Life is way to short to Dislike art so don't, help don't hate. :think:

clay
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

spock1701 wrote:
SteveAFV wrote:As the figures in this kit aren't very nice I thought I'd use them as practice pieces for painting but look to replace them with something nicer molded. Spock1701 had me interested in putting the MG in the coaxial position with commander and crew. Additional figures might fit in well with the "approaching the front" motif. Can anyone recommend some decent styrene figures please?
I think Dragon makes a good set of figures for Barbarossa.

Good call. Picked dragon 6375 up
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

InitialProduction1 wrote:This looks to be a fun build to watch. Got to get the pop corn out :pop: :cheers2:
It could all go easily wrong yet! :doh:
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

First bit of work on the sofa I feel

Image
Last edited by SteveAFV on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

Quick update. Was mainly a fill and sand day.

Image

Image

I put the muffler together and got the back plate ready so I can work out what PE I'm going to use on it. I have the Aber set and there is quite a bit that can go on. I definitely want the smoke launcher bracket and chain. I'd like to use the muffler straps. Not sure on the extra plate and rivet detail as if I use it here I'll need to complete the entire model with the same level. I might prep it all and see if I manage to do it correctly.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by chalkyw »

:th: Nice start Steve :pop:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

Puzzling over muffler end plates c35 in photo on the Tamiya kit that I can't see in any photos. In the HobbyBoss kit these aren't present (second photo)

Image

Image

Anyone have any advice on this?

Also if I am going to use PE straps do I shave off the moulded ones from the muffler or lay them over?
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
InitialProduction1
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by InitialProduction1 »

That's how Tamiya made the end of the muffler, I know simplified at it's best. that angled piece is supposed to be just a metal strap on both ends, I can get a photo of it. To give you a better picture. Just give me a minute.
On the bench
Sturm boot dragon,PZIII ausf J dragon, jagtiger old dragon, initial tiger dragon, tiger rye field,
Life is way to short to Dislike art so don't, help don't hate. :think:

clay
User avatar
InitialProduction1
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by InitialProduction1 »

I can get better if you need it.
2016-08-30 19.10.12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On the bench
Sturm boot dragon,PZIII ausf J dragon, jagtiger old dragon, initial tiger dragon, tiger rye field,
Life is way to short to Dislike art so don't, help don't hate. :think:

clay
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

InitialProduction1 wrote:That's how Tamiya made the end of the muffler, I know simplified at it's best. that angled piece is supposed to be just a metal strap on both ends, I can get a photo of it. To give you a better picture. Just give me a minute.
Thanks. I came to the same conclusion after a google on the subject. I'll see if I can handle the PE straps first then remove the extra plastic.

Thanks for the photo and advice.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by mincemeat »

Was this part of a larger picture or taken by a Panzer IV enthusiast? Other than tank nuts and modelers, who takes close-ups of mufflers?

Lookin' good Steve!
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

mincemeat wrote:Was this part of a larger picture or taken by a Panzer IV enthusiast? Other than tank nuts and modelers, who takes close-ups of mufflers?

Lookin' good Steve!
Maybe it was one of those quizzes where you have to guess the thing from a tiny extreme close up? :tongue:
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

Progress update: little actually work but plenty of thinking and research. I've attached the rear fender sections which didn't align that well. No big issue as there is a part (bracing?) that aligns right on the edge that will disguise that. Pity I didn't see it when I test fitted the pieces. I read plenty of build articles on this kit and that issue didn't come up. Filled in the ejector pin marks underneath. I will probably fill the gap in the middle of the sponsons underneath but I will need my helper to be around for that. Lol

As I'm replacing the molded straps on the muffler with PE I assembled it then trimmed the excess and filed it smooth. Has some Mr Surfacer 500 to fill it nicely. Unsure how I will portray the rough rusty nature of the muffler yet. Options are; Mr Surfacer which I've seen used (http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7272 half way down) or pigments layered at the end. Any advice from you guys?

I've found some photos of 421 in the Soviet Union in June 1941 which is cool. I've bought some Dragon panzer crew figures and I may get some more to have panzer grenadiers traveling on or with the tank. Looking forward to the diorama building.

Feel I need to get going on this build but I'm having fun.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by mincemeat »

I found the exact same article! Pigments can do it, but I was also going to pick up some Mr. Surfacer 500 myself and try this method as well. I did some basic filling yesterday with EPM's and the holes in the lower hull, when I have some significant progress I'll start posting.
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

I'll post the other articles I found tomorrow. It's where I've taken a lot of inspiration for my build. I've gone over the top I feel but I'm learning so much and it's the best fun I've had in ages.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

Rear sections of fenders on and filled.

Image

In prep for the photo etch on the rear plate the muffler has been shaved down.

Image

Here's a view of the PE instructions for the rear plate.

Image
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by SteveAFV »

mincemeat wrote:I found the exact same article! Pigments can do it, but I was also going to pick up some Mr. Surfacer 500 myself and try this method as well. I did some basic filling yesterday with EPM's and the holes in the lower hull, when I have some significant progress I'll start posting.

Here are the articles I refered to.

http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7272
http://plastic-battle.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... f-d-1.html
http://plastic-battle.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... amiya.html
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... spx?page=1
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Another Tamiya pz kpfw IV ausf d

Post by chalkyw »

Nice job on the exhaust Steve.....watch out for the carpet monster swallowing all that PE though :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”