Page 1 of 1

De-chrome

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:34 am
by JPease1972
Hey Y'all,

What methods do you gents use to remove chrome? I have read about several different chemicals from bleach to drano. Would like to find something fairly safe and won't eat my styrene if I leave it in a bit long. Thanks for the assist.

Re: De-chrome

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:09 am
by Brasko
I have used oven cleaner, the blue can, to dechrome some wheels and engine covers from a revell kit. Im sure there are better methods but this worked for me. Fairly non toxic and does the job without destroying the plastic

Re: De-chrome

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:22 am
by trekfanj
I tried the bleach method, and it worked pretty well; i left the parts in for about a week and nothing happened to them, other than the chrome being stripped off.

Re: De-chrome

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:52 am
by JPease1972
Thanks for the info .. Jarod that is good to know especially in our climate.

Re: De-chrome

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:51 am
by MightyDraw
You can achieve good results with 409 all-purpose cleaner. That is if you are in the US, I don't know if its available internationally, though I'll assume an equivalent can be located. I've used this method a couple times, it just takes a few days in my experience, however once the chrome is gone the styrene is unharmed. Just slightly blue :th: