Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

I'm going to enter this for my first ever GB just to join in and hopefully give some of you a bit of entertainment, probably at me making a pigs ear of it.

I was going to do the 1/35 German Panther Ausf.D Sd.Kfz.171 with figures, but I've gone and bought some PE for that, another first.

The reason I bought the Panzer IV was the same as I've bought all my models so far, I like the look of them. This ones real nice to my minces, full of quirky angles. I won't be adding the side skirts, again for the looks, and haven't decided on the paintwork yet.

So, here's a wee bit of background:

The Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV), commonly known as the Panzer IV, was a German medium tank developed in the late 1930s and used extensively during the Second World War. Its ordnance inventory designation was Sd.Kfz. 161.

The Panzer IV was not originally intended to engage enemy armor—that role being allocated to the Panzer III. However, with the inadequacy of the Panzer III becoming apparent and in the face of Soviet T-34 tanks, the Panzer IV soon assumed the original role of its increasingly vulnerable cousin. The most widely manufactured and deployed fully turreted German tank of the Second World War, at some 8,500 examples, the Panzer IV was used as the base for many other fighting vehicles, including the Sturmgeschütz IV assault gun, Jagdpanzer IV tank destroyer, the Wirbelwind self-propelled anti-aircraft gun, and the Brummbär self-propelled gun.

The Panzer IV saw service in all combat theaters involving Germany and was the only German tank to remain in continuous production throughout the war. Upgrades and design modifications, intended to counter new threats, extended its service life. Generally, these involved increasing the Panzer IV's armor protection or upgrading its weapons, although during the last months of the war, with Germany's pressing need for rapid replacement of losses, design changes also included simplifications to speed up the manufacturing process.

The Panzer IV was partially succeeded by the Panther medium tank, which was introduced to counter the T-34, although the Panzer IV continued as a significant component of German armoured formations to the end of the war. The Panzer IV was the most widely exported tank in German service, with around 300 sold to Finland, Romania, Spain and Bulgaria. After the war, Syria procured Panzer IVs from France and Czechoslovakia, which saw combat in the 1967 Six-Day War. Some 8,553 Panzer IVs of all versions were built during World War II, with only the StuG III assault-gun/tank destroyer's 10,086 vehicle production run exceeding the Panzer IV's total among Axis armored forces..

And some photos:

Image

Image

And one for Chalky showing a Cruiser going by a Panzer IV that's totally alight!

Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

So here's the box.

Image

And here's the sprues, not a tremendous amount of parts.

Image

Image

Image

And some string

Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Everything about this kit is what we've come to expect from Tamiys. The date on the hull is 1994 yet there's no flash or such to worry about, and the detail is good. The plastic itself is great quality, not soft you take a big chuck out just showing it a Swann Morton, but definitely not brittle. The vinyl tracks however are not much cop, think I'll mud em up a bit.

So, I'm gonna get an hour or so done and will report back.
DarksideHobbies
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:15 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by DarksideHobbies »

Looks like a fun one! I'm doing my first group build out this too! Having fun with it, hope you do too! :banana: :cheers2:
User avatar
Tat2bhoy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:52 pm
Location: Dunfermline
Scotland

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Tat2bhoy »

nice choice, enjoy your build :th:
Image Image #32
Image
Revell 1:72 Type IXC/40 U-Boat ✅
Meng 1:48 Messerschmitt Me410 B-2/U2/R4 Heavy Fighter✅
Miniart 1:35 T-54-2 Soviet tank✅
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Get you with the L/46 :nena:

Found this interesting on Wikipedia which I hadn't heard of before-

"The longer 7.5 cm guns were a mixed blessing. In spite of the designers' efforts to conserve weight, the new weapon made the vehicle nose-heavy to such an extent that the forward suspension springs were under constant compression. This resulted in the tank tending to sway even when no steering was being applied, an effect compounded by the introduction of the Ausführung H in March 1943.[28]"

Are you allowed to do a Zimmerit job on it?
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
NorthernModeller
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Preston, Lancashire, England
Contact:
England

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by NorthernModeller »

I have that kit, It fits together really well. you will enjoy :)
SAMI Magazine, Model aircraft and Tamiya Model Magazine contributor
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

NorthernModeller wrote:I have that kit, It fits together really well. you will enjoy :)
Yeah mate, all going smoothly this far.

SteveAFV wrote:
Are you allowed to do a Zimmerit job on it?
Mmhh, interesting, I'm not actually sure Steve. If you by it as a kit it's after-market, but if you DIY it could be scratch build. But I don't want to add it anyway. I find that it can make the kit look like a model, unless it's done very well. Plus I want to keep all those angles sharp.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

So not much progress as I was called in for some work which I can't afford to turn down at the mo. I managed to get the front and back ends done with no problems.

Image

Image

It 25 mins past eleven in the morning, of Thursday, here on a beautifully overcast day in Brisbane town and I have today and tomorrow free of work. Hopefully I'll get some more done to show those interested before I work on Saturday.

So now I've filled you all in on my diary for the next few days I'm going to have a cuppa and plan my next move on the build.
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Understood on the zim'

That's really nice detail on that back plate.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

OK I've not done much as I'm waiting for my new sprue cutters to arrive some time today and want to try them out.

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-tool ... s-tm-74123

Got the road wheels out of the way, this job went alright as I was watching the 'original' Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin with Leonard Rossiter. I haven't seen that since it came out in 1976?? Anyway, great show while I work away.

Image

Image

C'mon Postie, I have work to do!
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Although I didn't think my old cutters were bad I must say it is nice to use a good tool.

Image

So you'd think I got a lot of work done. Well, no, with the missus away the mice (me and Molly The Cat) have been at play :whistle:

I did manage a bit and will try and get some more done today as I have no work til Wednesday, when the wife is also back.

Image

Image

Image
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

How's it going with the Tam side cutters? I have Xuron 2175ET and love em'

Did you see Mincemeat's thread where he thinned and added damage to the mud guards? http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

SteveAFV wrote:How's it going with the Tam side cutters? I have Xuron 2175ET and love em'

Did you see Mincemeat's thread where he thinned and added damage to the mud guards? http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
No, ain't seen that. But I'm also building an Academy (early version) Tiger and I've thinned one of the exhaust protectors with a 'bur' rotary bit, and then bended while still warmi to cause a dent. Is that the same type? I copied that after seeing it on one of Coen's videos.
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Augustus wrote: No, ain't seen that. But I'm also building an Academy (early version) Tiger and I've thinned one of the exhaust protectors with a 'bur' rotary bit, and then bended while still warm to cause a dent. Is that the same type? I copied that after seeing it on one of Coen's videos.
Not sure what bit he used sorry. I think he just did general thinning of material and the edge ended up feathered with natural nicks out of it.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

So today's Sunday, no work and the missus is out all day, huzzah! Time to hit the bench, I'll get a lot done today.
So that was the plan, until I noticed something. I'd fitted the gun and its inner bits in upside down into the mantlet. So there's a big gap at the top and yes, the machine on the wrong side. And the glues pretty much set, bugger.

I tear it all apart, lengths of semi dry glue elongating and stretching into gossamer thin strands, wafting in my wake, and then suddenly something goes 'snap', bugger.

One of the lugs that form the axle for the pivoting of the gun has snapped right off.

Image

I've cleaned it up and had to sand quite a bit off. I'll brace it to give it some backbone and strength. Luckily no-one will be able to see it, I'll just have to be very gentle when I move the gun.
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Don't ya just hate it when that happens. I have a few repair jobs of a similar nature despite trial fitting. Likebyiu say at least it's in a hidden area. Could you pose the gun in the position you want and run extra thin in to fix it in that position? If you feel it'll be too weak with the broken piece that is.

Good luck!
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Finally found some time to do some work, about half a day only interrupted to make some tea and biscuits!

I like getting to this point in a build. It all comes together and looks like a tank, just got to tidy it up before the base coat. As I'm not fitting the schurzen there were a few holes I had to putty up, and a couple of small parts I'd missed putting on altogether need to be added.

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by Augustus on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

SteveAFV wrote:Don't ya just hate it when that happens. I have a few repair jobs of a similar nature despite trial fitting. Likebyiu say at least it's in a hidden area. Could you pose the gun in the position you want and run extra thin in to fix it in that position? If you feel it'll be too weak with the broken piece that is.

Good luck!
That's exactly what I had to do Steve. I thought that once in situ it would add strength but found it was not the case. So I fixed it in position so I would not have to worry about it falling apart once everything was cemented up.
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Nice one :th:
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

It's seems like ages since I've gotten anything done, probably because it is. I dunno why, I'm on the last day of a week off.

But anyway, the primer is now done. It's the first time that I've used Ultimate Primer and after the dramas I had before with Vallejo the paint went down smooth as.

I took some pics indoors and they were rubbish. I have no fancy lighting and even tried the white background etc tricks but you could see no detail. I know I'm only using an iPhone camera but if it can take half decent photos of The Moon and Planets a model tank should give it no aggravation. So I took the all black tank out for a bit of sunshine. The results are below.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by chalkyw »

So this is where you've been hiding......good job so far matey :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

chalkyw wrote:So this is where you've been hiding......good job so far matey :th:
Damn! You found me. Yes mate been doing this and a little Ford Mutt which is a such a fun build I've also bought Tamiyas SAS Jeep.
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Looks good. Interested to see the paint job now:-)
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

SteveAFV wrote:Looks good. Interested to see the paint job now:-)
Me too Steve! Not sure what I want to do yet. I really want to do something in just plain dark grey as I haven't done one yet and, well, I just like it. I'm not sure if that's historically correct though. I'm not overly fussy when it comes to paint schemes being absolutely correct but don't want to do it if it's just categorically wrong. I'll have to do a wee bit of research.
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Augustus wrote: Me too Steve! Not sure what I want to do yet. I really want to do something in just plain dark grey as I haven't done one yet and, well, I just like it. I'm not sure if that's historically correct though. I'm not overly fussy when it comes to paint schemes being absolutely correct but don't want to do it if it's just categorically wrong. I'll have to do a wee bit of research.
Did a google as I think none were dunkelgrau by 1943.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4335
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
Les0012
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 pm
Location: Keith NE Scotland
Scotland

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Les0012 »

That is looking awesome so far,

Look forward to seeing the end product

Les
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

So time for the base coat. Decided to forget about going grey and went for Ammo's Mig 010 Dunkelgelb. I wanted to get that point of good coverage but still the slight effect of the black primer creating shadows. I also took a bit of a gamble, and after seeing that the mixture didn't explode in the mixing cup, thinned the paint with Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner. I'm also well pleased with the performance of my airbrush, The Badger 105 Patriot. After the Neo this AB works like a dream with the .3 needle set.

Overall I'm pleased with the results, and after checking online and the instructions provided I may well opt for no camo. There's two options for this in the instructions, the 4th Panzer Div. 35th Panzer Regiment (Russia, Autumn 1943), and the 24th Panzer Div. 24th Panzer Regiment (North Italy, Autumn 1943).

So before I decide on the final paintwork here's a couple of photos.

Image

Image

Image

Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Les0012 wrote:That is looking awesome so far,

Look forward to seeing the end product

Les
SteveAFV wrote:Looks good. Interested to see the paint job now:-)
Cheers guys, means a lot.
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by chalkyw »

Now that looks proper pukker Johnny, might have to try that Mig stuff for my KingTiger build......lookin very good matey :th: :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
User avatar
MassterOzymandias
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 5:22 am
Location: México
Contact:

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by MassterOzymandias »

Great paintwork! Keep it up!
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

MassterOzymandias wrote:Great paintwork! Keep it up!
chalkyw wrote:Now that looks proper pukker Johnny, might have to try that Mig stuff for my KingTiger build......lookin very good matey :th: :th:
Thanks very much guys. The key was (as with any paint I guess) getting down nice thin layers. I believe feeling comfortable with the AB, and not having to fight it all the way helped.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Gggrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Went to take some photos of the latest update and the camera on the phone (the only camera I have access to at the moment) is refusing to take pics. It not a large update buts it's very annoying.

All I've done is paint the detail and added a few bits of chipping.

I used Mig-038 Light Wood for the tool handles etc, this was then given depth with a homemade wash of Abteilung Oil Abt-080 Brown Wash. The metal parts were Vallejo Model Colour 864 Natural Steel. This was very shiny/silvery so I gave it a wash with Abt-160 Engine Grease. The machine guns were AK-798 Gun Metal, and the chipping was Model Colour 822 German Camo Black/Brown (of course!).

I've still got the tires to do, will be using AK-720 Rubber Tires. After that it's a a coat of Aqua Gloss, I'll try to get some pictures then before the real weathering starts.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

After several upgrades and a lot of faffing around I now have a working camera.

I haven't done anymore work on this since because I wouldn't have been able to take photos for myself and to add to this WIP, so at last I can now continue with the build.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

As you can see some chipping was done and details painted, and since the the last update all I've done is a couple of coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss. I really like this stuff and it lays perfect.

Image

Image

But then I noticed something I didn't like, there are a few round, brown marks on the back of the tank, and it's too late, I've sprayed over them. I look at the rest of the model and there's a couple on turret behind the cupola. I must have splashed something on it while doing something else. It's underneath the Aqua Gloss now and the only thing to do is cover them with weathering.

Image

Image

That's it until the next calamity!
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Really like the chipping on the turret and particularly the cupola.

As for the spots, weathering sounds good. Oil spots if in the right locations? Or my favourite Mucho mud!
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

SteveAFV wrote:Really like the chipping on the turret and particularly the cupola.

As for the spots, weathering sounds good. Oil spots if in the right locations? Or my favourite Mucho mud!
Cheers Steve. Yes Mucho Mud is a good friend of mine, along with his friend Roberto Rust.
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by chalkyw »

Good job mate, she's looking really smart :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Decals done, the cross at the back was not in the call out but it hid a couple of them splashes.

Then I started a wash. I first used Migs Africa Korps wash, then AKs Wash For German Vehicles In Dark yellow. Neither gave me the look I wanted and both didn't flow well. I like a strong capillary action so I can use a precise pin wash without getting the wash everywhere and have a big clean up to do.

So I used Abteilung Oils Engine Grease diluted with normal artists white spirit to create my own.

I've also laid down a base coat of Mig Ammos Medium Rust on the exhaust. I'll later use a variety of rust colours to give an overall rusty colour and I'll flick specks of rust coloured pigment onto the drying paint to give a textured result (I hope!).

Here's some pics.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

After a bit of work...

Image
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Nev »

Looking good matey :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by chalkyw »

Very nice work mate, the exhaust looks tops :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Nev wrote:Looking good matey :thumb2:
chalkyw wrote:Very nice work mate, the exhaust looks tops :th:
Cheers fellas, I'm really enjoying this build. The only problems were the gun issue and the splashes which were both my fault.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Thought I make a start on the commander. His face was painted with mixes of AK and Vallejo Model Colours. I then mixed up a wash of Abteilungs Earth lightened slightly with Faded Dark Yellow, slopped it all around his mug where it sat for a couple of minutes before wiping. Nothing is taking long to dry as it's currently 31'C, I can't wait for summer!

Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

Day off today so should get some done. Here's the tracks sprayed with dark iron. I then made 2 rust washes. I applied the dark to the inside of the tracks and the light to the outer, this allowed them to mix more naturally (well that was the idea) without painting one over the other.

Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by Augustus »

And drybrushed with Vallejo Natural Steel
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Augustus on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by chalkyw »

The tracks look fantastic mate :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
User avatar
demarcation
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Denmark
Denmark

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by demarcation »

Very very nice, rust effects on the exhaust look superb! :th:
:cheers2:

//Anders
User avatar
LM951
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: Tooele, UT

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by LM951 »

Absolutely stunning work! Love the chipping. And the exhaust looks great!!!
Darwin

On The Bench
Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/48 Stuka B-1
Tamiya 1/35 T-34/76
Airfix 1/72 Grumman Martlet

Image Image
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Augustus's Panzer IV (H)

Post by SteveAFV »

Augustus wrote:Day off today so should get some done. Here's the tracks sprayed with dark iron. I then made 2 rust washes. I applied the dark to the inside of the tracks and the light to the outer, this allowed them to mix more naturally (well that was the idea) without painting one over the other.

Image
Were the washes enamel or acrylic. I was researching how to do my vinyl tracks and read that enamel thinners/white spirit attacjs the track material. I'd have thought that a good acrylic primer and base would have protected the vinyl. How have your found it?

Can I be cheeky and ask about your technique for painting road wheels as the rubber part in yours looks really good.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”