Page 1 of 1

Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:26 am
by Stokesy44
Greetings All

I've been looking for a 'how to' on pigments but other than cib2265's 7 steps weathering vid (which is great by the way) I haven't found anything else on the forum. Does anyone know of any posts specific to pigments which might help?

I'm yet to use pigments on my AFVs and would love to get started with them if I knew what I was doing. :crazy:



I've seen these rust and oil pigments on Amazon and would consider buying them along with the mud set and fixer shown further down the page - what do you guys think of the product and price?

Any and all help gratefully appreciated in advance.
:cheers2:

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:09 pm
by schweinhund227
before I jumped the fence I got hold of AK interactive DVD on weathering with their products...and that opened a world of possibilities for me...

I don't do all of what was demonstrated in those DVD's but it was worth it !

Look on line for some clips... or small demos from AK or AMMO

its not rocket science... ! buy a combo set to start and experiment on OLD models
NEVER on current projects !

Best of luck !

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:40 pm
by Stokesy44
schweinhund227 wrote:before I jumped the fence I got hold of AK interactive DVD on weathering with their products...and that opened a world of possibilities for me...

I don't do all of what was demonstrated in those DVD's but it was worth it !

Look on line for some clips... or small demos from AK or AMMO

its not rocket science... ! buy a combo set to start and experiment on OLD models
NEVER on current projects !

Best of luck !
Thanks mate. What did you think of the Vallejo sets - price wise?

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:48 pm
by schweinhund227
Stokesy44 wrote:
schweinhund227 wrote:before I jumped the fence I got hold of AK interactive DVD on weathering with their products...and that opened a world of possibilities for me...

I don't do all of what was demonstrated in those DVD's but it was worth it !

Look on line for some clips... or small demos from AK or AMMO

its not rocket science... ! buy a combo set to start and experiment on OLD models
NEVER on current projects !

Best of luck !
Thanks mate. What did you think of the Vallejo sets - price wise?
Those jars would cost me (locally) 10$ ea. so at that price they sound like a good deal !

I never used Vallejo pigments before... so I can't comment on those...
but they must behave similar to AK and AMMo ? like I keep saying... Test various technique or mixtures on Old models you don't care for anymore before doing stuff on your new or current models... so You don't get weird reactions...? just a word of caution !

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:02 pm
by Stokesy44
schweinhund227 wrote: Those jars would cost me (locally) 10$ ea. so at that price they sound like a good deal !

I never used Vallejo pigments before... so I can't comment on those...
but they must behave similar to AK and AMMo ? like I keep saying... Test various technique or mixtures on Old models you don't care for anymore before doing stuff on your new or current models... so You don't get weird reactions...? just a word of caution !
Thanks again mate. I've just spent the last hour or so watching vids on YT and its fascinating. Very clever stuff using pigments as dust or adding a fixer to create mud and dirt. Saw stuff on how to splash mud and oil too. Time to get dirty me thinks!

:cheers2:

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 pm
by chalkyw
I've made a few of my own pigments using pastel chalks from the art store, they're as cheap as but the mixing for different colours is a dark art that I've yet to master. The Mig stuff is great though :th:

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 pm
by schweinhund227
Stokesy44 wrote:
schweinhund227 wrote: Those jars would cost me (locally) 10$ ea. so at that price they sound like a good deal !

I never used Vallejo pigments before... so I can't comment on those...
but they must behave similar to AK and AMMo ? like I keep saying... Test various technique or mixtures on Old models you don't care for anymore before doing stuff on your new or current models... so You don't get weird reactions...? just a word of caution !
Thanks again mate. I've just spent the last hour or so watching vids on YT and its fascinating. Very clever stuff using pigments as dust or adding a fixer to create mud and dirt. Saw stuff on how to splash mud and oil too. Time to get dirty me thinks!

:cheers2:
Remember.... a GOOD quality Clear coat is a MUST if you want to use Enamel products...
that way.... you can tweak them up or down... and your hard work is safe underneath !

I recommend ALCLAD ALC-600 Aqua Gloss as your barrier of choice, if using Enamel Based Weathering products! :ugeek:

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:28 pm
by HamilkarBarkas
I have both MIG and Vallejo pigments. They are quite different actually! I find Vallejo adheres not so nicely to the surface when you brush or rub it on, but that means it is much more forgiving. MIG pigments bite right into the surface which can be a problem, but also an advantage. It all depends on what you want to do.
For light dust or dirt effects i am no longer using pigments at all, instead i am using earth from my garden mixed with wood glue and a lot of water to create some sort of "mud wash". It is very forgiving because the glue is water-soluble and can be washed off entirely if you are not happy with the result. You can not do this with pigments, when it is on it is on.
I find pigments very useful for rust effects, concrete dust, metal shine or soot.
I also find that for me pigments work best without that pigment fixer stuff. I don“t know why but it never works the way it should for me.

Re: Pigments - A Noob Cries HELP

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:33 pm
by Stokesy44
Thanks Guys :bow::

That's really much appreciated. Really looking forward to trying things out now.
:cheers2: