Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by GangsterNo1 »

I'd like opinion on using pin washes as I'm beginning to be unhappy with what I'm seeing on my models. I know they are an established technique but the results I'm getting are making me not want to use them. Does anyone else not bother using them when details pop nicely anyway?

I recently had a go at colour modulation on an IS3 tank and I was really happy with the paint job. I'm still a noob but this was the first time I had done something with my airbrush that I was truely happy with and felt looked semi-pro. I then did 2 thin coats of aqua gloss and proceeded to pin wash (normally would have done decals first but this is a World of Tanks model and so decals are limited to a couple of stars). For the pin wash I used a AK dark brown enamel wash for green vehicles. I was very careful, using capillary action rather than brushing all over to minimise clean up. After clean up the model just looks dirty and a lot of the crispness of the original paint job has gone. What am I doing wrong? Am I not getting a thick enough gloss coat to stop wash adhering like it would on a matt surface? Am I not cleaning up properly? See photos below.

Pre-wash rear
Image

Post wash rear
Image

Pre-wash front
Image

Post wash front
Image
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
cptgandy
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 pm
Location: Dorset, UK

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by cptgandy »

I think it looks great and I love the way the dirt runs down from the periscope on the front of the turret as for the shiny surface, all most every tank in the real world would of not been glossy ( I know there was a couple ) so ending with a flat surface is a good thing.

If it was me doing the weathering I would add some chipping and then rust streaks and some fuel and oil stains as that would add a bit more color in the weathering process.
Paul :tongue:
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by RobertK »

I actually think the washed version looks good! The highlights and shadows blends and looks natural with the base color.
:banana:
User avatar
OliveDrab
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:48 am
Location: Missouri, USA
United States of America

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by OliveDrab »

By the looks of the pictures, you are not doing anything wrong. It looks like the pin wash has darkened and dirtied the treated areas as it is designed to do. Just my opinion but I think it looks quite good :th: Never less, if you feel the effect was too strong, you could try a lighter application (less wash applied), or remove more of the wash during cleanup with slightly more thinner. Another factor is how far do you want to weather your model. Additional "dot" filters, chipping, streaking, staining, pigments....could be done and would alter the previous steps applied too.
In any case, its your model and how you finish it is entirely up to you, as long as you have Fun!
:cheers2:
Curt :cheers2:
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by schweinhund227 »

what I see is perfect.... no worries ! :cheers2:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by Lee »

Looks good to me bud :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by GangsterNo1 »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I think I just feel like I ruined the paint job that I was proud of. I feel like I shouldn't have done the pin wash as the detail looked good as it was. Maybe I just should have varnished it and left it. Do you guys always do a pin wash??

On my first couple of models back after starting the hobby again, I went too heavy on the weathering and chipping, so I wanted a much more pristine, clean look on this one.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by schweinhund227 »

GangsterNo1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I think I just feel like I ruined the paint job that I was proud of. I feel like I shouldn't have done the pin wash as the detail looked good as it was. Maybe I just should have varnished it and left it. Do you guys always do a pin wash??

On my first couple of models back after starting the hobby again, I went too heavy on the weathering and chipping, so I wanted a much more pristine, clean look on this one.

after your paint ... Gloss coat using Alclad Aqua Gloss... ACL-600
let dry completely... add decals.... Gloss coat or Semi gloss then you can pin wash, dot filter and what ever you fancy.... while your hard work is protected under the Gloss coat....


That's an awesome looking model by the way... very nice indeed ! :thumb2:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by Lee »

schweinhund227 wrote:
GangsterNo1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I think I just feel like I ruined the paint job that I was proud of. I feel like I shouldn't have done the pin wash as the detail looked good as it was. Maybe I just should have varnished it and left it. Do you guys always do a pin wash??

On my first couple of models back after starting the hobby again, I went too heavy on the weathering and chipping, so I wanted a much more pristine, clean look on this one.

after your paint ... Gloss coat using Alclad Aqua Gloss... ACL-600
let dry completely... add decals.... Gloss coat or Semi gloss then you can pin wash, dot filter and what ever you fancy.... while your hard work is protected under the Gloss coat....


That's an awesome looking model by the way... very nice indeed ! :thumb2:
Adding to Norm's post, where he says completely, I would recommend 24 hours at least before you start messing about on it :)
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
CharleyGnarlyP290
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 am
Location: California
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by CharleyGnarlyP290 »

GangsterNo1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I think I just feel like I ruined the paint job that I was proud of. I feel like I shouldn't have done the pin wash as the detail looked good as it was. Maybe I just should have varnished it and left it. Do you guys always do a pin wash??

On my first couple of models back after starting the hobby again, I went too heavy on the weathering and chipping, so I wanted a much more pristine, clean look on this one.
I agree! That turned out great.
Maybe your opinion is psychological in nature. You tried a new technique (modulation) and really liked the way it turned out. Then when you put the wash on you feel it ruined it, when in reality it was just the next step in what I think is an awesome result. I know I have done the same thing myself: thought I ruined something, but after letting it sit on the shelf for a few days, and then give it another look, realize it turned out better than I initially thought.
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by schweinhund227 »

Lee wrote:
schweinhund227 wrote:
GangsterNo1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I think I just feel like I ruined the paint job that I was proud of. I feel like I shouldn't have done the pin wash as the detail looked good as it was. Maybe I just should have varnished it and left it. Do you guys always do a pin wash??

On my first couple of models back after starting the hobby again, I went too heavy on the weathering and chipping, so I wanted a much more pristine, clean look on this one.

after your paint ... Gloss coat using Alclad Aqua Gloss... ACL-600
let dry completely... add decals.... Gloss coat or Semi gloss then you can pin wash, dot filter and what ever you fancy.... while your hard work is protected under the Gloss coat....


That's an awesome looking model by the way... very nice indeed ! :thumb2:
Adding to Norm's post, where he says completely, I would recommend 24 hours at least before you start messing about on it :)
Thank you Lee !

Cured is what I really meant ! so I back up what you have mentioned 100%
:thumb1:
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by chief5437 »

CharleyGnarlyP290 wrote:
GangsterNo1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I think I just feel like I ruined the paint job that I was proud of. I feel like I shouldn't have done the pin wash as the detail looked good as it was. Maybe I just should have varnished it and left it. Do you guys always do a pin wash??

On my first couple of models back after starting the hobby again, I went too heavy on the weathering and chipping, so I wanted a much more pristine, clean look on this one.
I agree! That turned out great.
Maybe your opinion is psychological in nature. You tried a new technique (modulation) and really liked the way it turned out. Then when you put the wash on you feel it ruined it, when in reality it was just the next step in what I think is an awesome result. I know I have done the same thing myself: thought I ruined something, but after letting it sit on the shelf for a few days, and then give it another look, realize it turned out better than I initially thought.
I think this is a good point ^^

With so many different stages to the weathering process, it's sometimes hard to think how each one will alter the previous effect.
Sometimes for green vehicles I use a dark green wash rather than a brown, it still pops the details but without so much contrast. You may find that your final matt coat will lighten things up a bit and that dark brown won't be so prominent.

Looks great though buddy, hope you start to like it! :th: :th:
Chief
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by GangsterNo1 »

Cheers for all the comments guys. I shall try some of the suggestions.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
User avatar
RobBye
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:19 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Contact:

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by RobBye »

I think it looks fine so far. May I ask what you're using for your pin wash?

I have all four flavours of Tamiya's panel line wash, which does what I want it to do, but it leaves a bit of a dot right where the applicator brush touches the surface. I always have to remember to wipe those dots away as I go along. Is there a better practice I should be following?
Image
My Scale Modelling Blog: https://armourinscale.wordpress.com
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by GangsterNo1 »

RobBye wrote:I think it looks fine so far. May I ask what you're using for your pin wash?

I have all four flavours of Tamiya's panel line wash, which does what I want it to do, but it leaves a bit of a dot right where the applicator brush touches the surface. I always have to remember to wipe those dots away as I go along. Is there a better practice I should be following?
I'm using an AK dark brown enamel wash after a couple of coats of Aqua Gloss. Cleaning up after pin washes is pretty standard so I dont think you're doing anything wrong. Most people leave the wash to dry and then use the relevant solvent / thinner for the wash medium, e.g. with the enamel wash I'm using, I clean up with oil colour thinners using either a brush for very precise control and/or a cotton bud for bigger areas.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
Madmattmodels89
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Houston USA

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by Madmattmodels89 »

The actual result on your model is stunning my friend! You did every step right!

When I tried for the first time the oil dot filter I thought I completely ruined my color modulation instead after a closer look realized i unintentionally achieved a new (to me) look for streaking dust and rain!

Keep up the great work!
Joe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:25 am
Location: Kansas City, USA

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by Joe »

Personally, I would be happy with those results! Looks awesome! NOTE: The Aqua Gloss (which I am a big fan of and use it frequently) which you applied afterwards will make your paint job look darker until you are ready to apply your flat finish. Once that is done you may see that the color modulation you were so happy with earlier return. I think your issue maybe only temporary.

Joe
On The Bench: 1/72 Revel Mig-31 and KP 1/72 Mig-23
User avatar
rm6239
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: NSW Australia
Australia

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by rm6239 »

I think CharleyGnarly hit the nail on the head there. I have recently had the same situation as you mention, I'd built a Dicker Max, German Grey being the colour of choice :lol: , and like you I would probably put it down as one of my best results with the AB, the pre-shading, the post shading, fading, colour modulation, tonal changes, everything turned out exactly how I envisioned. It looked good as it was and I was very tempted just to leave it as is but it still had a toyish look and we strive for realism.

Looking at the big picture that great paint job, is just the beginning of your weathering journey and think of it this way, you will get such a more realistic result starting from that great paint job, than if it was just a monotone green.

So grab some photos of the great paint job and go on to the next step.

The paint job looked great, but the pictures after the pin wash started to make it look real.

cheers
Rossco
On The Bench


Back in the USSR 50 Years of MiG's

If a man does his best, what else is there?
George S. Patton
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... XG6L86u.99
User avatar
CharleyGnarlyP290
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 am
Location: California
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by CharleyGnarlyP290 »

"So grab some photos of the great paint job and go on to the next step." rm6239

Exactly what I was going to add.
chalkyw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by chalkyw »

Like everyone else has said it looks like you've done a great job.....it looked weird the first time I tried a wash too :th:
Former Newbie seeking knowledge :hi:
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Pin Wash - Am I Doing it Wrong?

Post by GangsterNo1 »

All finished and I'm pretty happy with it now.

Image

Image

Image
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”