Page 1 of 1

Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:14 pm
by Davethepitch
This last few months I have been building 1/12 scale motorcycles and tried to get as close to the correct colour as possible but my question is would using an entirely different colour of my choice ruin the model.

Dave

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 pm
by alextheblue
Very good question Dave and if thiis was an episode of Harry Hill's TV Burp, the next cry would be - FIGHT!!!!

One phrase that you will see over and again on this site is, it's your model, do it your way and I'm a big believer of this. You've spent your hard earned, it's your hobby and most importantly it's your time. Many people like to get as close to the original colour as possible and spend ages researching their subject. For them this is a big part of their hobby and full respect to them. Me personally, I'd rather just get on with it and I generally match most of my colours by eye. Having said that, my preferred subject is AFV, so there is a little more room for "interpretation".

In short, what I'm trying to say is, it's entirely down to you my friend! :th:

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:34 pm
by ElCapitan
I don't see why not. It's your model at the end of the day. As long as you enjoy building it, that's what counts!

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:51 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
Absolutely fine, after all, many people give their motorcycles a custom paint job so why not a model?

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:52 pm
by Les0012
As far as I see it, It's your model paint it your way,

Pauls done an Me 163 in captured British scheme (looks awesome), If you want to do a "What if" scheme the go ahead and do it Modellers license goes a long way.

Just enjoy your hobby, do things your way.

My opinion only Les.

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:40 pm
by Davethepitch
Thank you for your replies and to add to this I forgot to mention I am colour blind in greens, browns and so on but when I purchased my Kawasaki my friend chose a green for it but it is not Kawasaki green.

Dave

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:47 pm
by schweinhund227
if its for pleasure....? then play as your heart content. I stop at *Pink Tanks* !!! LOL

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 pm
by Paul
Davethepitch wrote:This last few months I have been building 1/12 scale motorcycles and tried to get as close to the correct colour as possible but my question is would using an entirely different colour of my choice ruin the model.

Dave
I will colour match every time unless its a what if or your own version..

With cars and bikes i think its very important an the likes of Hiroboy and gravity paints sell colours matched paints

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:45 pm
by sheppsea
To be honest, I think there no such thing as a perfect match, I think I will just be using the Tamiya colours that are recommended (even if it means looking at the instructions of a Tamiya version if the model is another manufacturer, such as the ones I am building)

Although even then I will take any recommendations with a pinch of salt, I don't think it came from Tamiya, but one of the recommendations for RLM71 (I think - the dark green, rather than black green), was miles off

I suppose it all comes down to your own preferences and priorities :)

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 pm
by Dropis258
I'm a big believer in my model I'll do it my way,the only thing I try to match co!ours & detail is British military as being an ex soldier I try to do it justice ,aiot of it I do from memory.

Good question by the way. :cheers2:

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:51 am
by onemac
schweinhund227 wrote:if its for pleasure....? then play as your heart content. I stop at *Pink Tanks* !!! LOL
Never say never......

ImageAMAC1137_Tonka_ZG750_128_Sandy by Al MacNeish, on Flickr

Al :lol:

Re: Is using the right colour important on a model

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:39 pm
by Lysus
So far for me if it's a real subject I'll check for color matched paints or try to mix up what I have to look right, but otherwise I go with what "feels" right to me. It all depends upon what you have time for, money for, or patience for. Of course, do as you please, it's a hobby we practice for enjoyment and if color matching gives you joy then do that.

If not, then don't.

I also think there's something to be said about trying to get what feels right is more important than what is right in many cases. Something of a challenge about scale modeling is that sometimes the exact color or proportion can actually feel wrong on a kit, and sometimes it looks "right" to do it differently. I think there was a Budzik video about this, that some things require accuracy, while others require visual trickery.

As for pink tanks, well I may just consider that a challenge... ;)