Page 1 of 1
Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:37 pm
by Boxster
Hello All, I am taking on this build to commemorate a local hero from where I live. I am not sure if very many people are aware of Capt. Lance Sijan but I thought I would give a little insight on his story and build as close replica of his F-4C Phantom that he flew in Vietnam as I can. I will include some reference to his life story as well as pictures that I have gathered. It’s funny, I have lived in Milwaukee for 15 years now and only recently was made aware of this fantastic story. I was introduced to this great local hero through a co-worker when we were talking about planes and model building. The co-worker stated that he would like to build a replica of Sijan’s plane and kindly donated the kit for my entry in this SIG. He stated when I get it finished he would like to give it back to the 128th refueling wing here in Milwaukee as he was stationed there and as you will see in the pics below, the Replica F-4 is currently on display at this location.
I won’t go into his details to much as I feel there the links I provide will give a better description of him far better than I can, but I will be updating on the build as much as I can. Thanks for looking at this post and I hope you enjoy it.
Here is some information and links to Sijan’s story. If you have the time I would suggest looking into this fantastic survival and courageous story of a true American hero and please keep or Veterans in your memories and prayers.
Capt. Lance Peter Sijan was the first Air Force Academy graduate to be awarded the Medal of Honor. On Nov. 9, 1967, then-Lt. Sijan ejected from his stricken F-4 (the flight commander, Lt. Col. John Armstrong, was killed in the explosion) over Laos and managed to avoid capture for 45 days.
This is all the more remarkable considering the injuries Sijan sustained on impact-a broken leg, a skull fracture, and a badly mangled right hand.
The Man:

The story:
"Into the mouth of the cat"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1hft2lNzs
The Lance Sijan story web page.
http://www.lancesijan.com/lances-story/
"My name is Lane P Sijan"
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/au-24/meurer.pdf
Book link: "Into the mouth of the cat"
The Plane:

The Build:

So there you go guys, my Build. I look forward to getting started just as soon as I finish this post. I may add or scratch build along the way and hope this is Ok by the rules. I would also like for any and all feed back to this build and any encouragement that you can give to keep me on track and motivated. Thanks to ISM for a great community and hope to have gained many friends in the process of this adventure.
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:56 pm
by Vleugelmoer
Wow, what a cool project and fitting tribute to the man behind the story.
I do see a nose job in the future for this build, or are you going to keep it an E instead of a C version F-4?
As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.
Paul J (The Other One)
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:15 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Wow, this is most impressive
Didn't have time to read all of that, but LOVE the kit, resin and PE you have shaking here

wow
Will paruse the story later
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:37 pm
by Boxster
Wow, what a cool project and fitting tribute to the man behind the story.
I do see a nose job in the future for this build, or are you going to keep it an E instead of a C version F-4?
As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.
Paul J (The Other One)
Thanks Paul, yea gonna be intense but kinda promised my co-worker I would do it for him.
I know this may not be the best kit to start with given it is an E but that's what he had so I will have to mod the nose or find a replacement. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated on the transformation from an "E" to "C"
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:34 pm
by Vleugelmoer
Boxster wrote:Wow, what a cool project and fitting tribute to the man behind the story.
I do see a nose job in the future for this build, or are you going to keep it an E instead of a C version F-4?
As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.
Paul J (The Other One)
Thanks Paul, yea gonna be intense but kinda promised my co-worker I would do it for him.
I know this may not be the best kit to start with given it is an E but that's what he had so I will have to mod the nose or find a replacement. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated on the transformation from an "E" to "C"
My suggestion would be to go to:
http://www.scalemates.com
It the best kit and aftermarket online database. Use the search function type in F-4C phantom and it comes up with all the kits and aftermarket. if you scroll down a bit you can refine the results by scale, manufacturer and so on.
My main concern is that the F-4E was a long nose version like all the reccy versions and the F-4C was a short noce version. One other concern may be having to modify the bottom of the nose / bottom forward fuselage. The E had the chin pod that housed the gun where the c basically had a flat forward fuselage. This would entail having to scratch build that including the landing gear doors.
Best of luck on the project, think you might need it
Paul J
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:25 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Your photo links seem to be broken...if you change the photobucket name it kills everything
I watched the first of those videos and it choked me up what this poor dude went through. 20 ft , if he could have just scrambled that and grabbed onto the extractor and got the heck out of there. So sad. RIP soldier.
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:24 pm
by Boxster
Scott, nice that you watched the vid,s. Yea a very sad story but it shows how determined some solders really are. I think we could all learn from these kind of stories. I noticed last week that my pc's were broken. I logged onto the post in the morning and then went back in the afternoon and saw that they were broken. not sure what happend. Can they be fixed?. Photo's are in my account when I log onto photobucket.
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:43 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Usually a photobucket thing and commonly the file gets renamed or altered so if becomes "unfound"
I altered the title of one of my photobucket files and whammo all pics gone.
So I just edited the post on ISM with the newly named photo links.
You could try to copy the link of one of the photos and edit your post ...bet that gets the pic back
I don't think they will come back on their own, something in the photobucket files has changed
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:19 pm
by Boxster
Thanks Scott, will look into editing my post. I appreciate the help sir.
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:30 pm
by Lysus
Yeah, found that out the hard way, myself. If you move or rename the files it breaks your links. I had to go back and edit the post with every single photo's new link address

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:34 pm
by Boxster
Thanks guys, I think I fixed it

. Hope this wont happen again.

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:34 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Boxster wrote:Thanks guys, I think I fixed it

. Hope this wont happen again.

No worries, been there done that too
The story behind your build makes this one of my favorite Phanatom threads

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:20 am
by Boxster
Hello peps, just a little update for today. I've been busy with work and fixing this post but will try and keep things moving. I received something today for the build.
"Daddy got's a new pair of shoes"
Also been trying to find away of converting this "E" variant nose to the correct "C" version that it necessary for the build. I knew this would be an issue and of course the smart people on this post kindly pointed it out right away. (Thanks Paul). After pondering the issue and doing some perusing on the interwebs I think I have an inexpensive solution.
I picked this up from a local hobby store for $20 bucks. I figured it was a cheap investment for the conversion.
Here are a few pictures for comparison and please post some feed back on any suggestions before I get started so I can hear some options. Thanks


]
I will be digging into this conversion more tomorrow and will post more in process pictures. Thanks for your feed back and support.
"Let the styrene dust fly"
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:02 am
by Boxster
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:52 pm
by GuyMac
Seems you'll put a lot of effort in this build. Eager to see how it comes along

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:04 am
by Boxster
Hey guys just a little update for today. I decided to go ahead and do a little work on the front wheel bay with some PE.
Here is where I started.
After the clean up with a chisel, sanding stick and xacto.
Finally some PE from the Eduard set.


Next comes the plumbing

. This is gonna be fun.
That's it for now fellow F-4 builders. Wish me luck on this one. I think I may have to get some of that "Makers Mark" that Paul consumes.
Thanks again guys for the views and the feed back. I really am enjoying this build so far albeit just getting started. Have a good one and "Build On" young men.
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:16 pm
by Lysus
If you can squeeze even 10% of that bay detail in then you're a god. Considering the work so far you've done I think that this result is assured

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:10 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Rhinoplasty on a Rhino
Cool

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:39 pm
by Spook
Major nose job awesome

Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:18 am
by Boxster
If you can squeeze even 10% of that bay detail in then you're a god. Considering the work so far you've done I think that this result is assured

Thanks for the encouragement Lysus. I hope to achieve that 10% percent but striving for maybe 20%. It may not be possible but what the heck I can only try. I am always trying to improve and build on my skills. If I mess up it's still a learning experience. I hope I can achieve some of your expectations.
Rhinoplasty on a Rhino
Cool

Thanks Scott, this is gonna be some work but gonna give it a go.
Major nose job awesome

Hey Spook, yea first time I've done this on an aircraft. I had to compensate for the kit that was given to me, but determined to make it work. I am ether to nice of a guy or stupid, not sure which one.
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:12 am
by Boxster
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:52 pm
by RCehFFan
Hi Boxter. nice nose job to start off the build. The detail your adding looks great. looking forward to seeing some paint on there. Are you a Packers fan? look forward to watching your build.
Cheers
Frosty
Re: Capt. Lance Sijan tribute Build "Unbroken will"
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:50 pm
by Boxster
Hello All, sorry for not posting any updates lately. I have been occupied with life and some medical issues lately. I just want to say the builds on this SIG have been awesome and wish I had participated a little more than I have. Keep up the good work and good luck to you all. On the other hand I probably won't be able to finish by the deadline but I will definitely will be continuing on the build and will post when I get further along.
For now though here is some progress so far, albeit minor given the deadline being right on top of me

.
Starting with the bare interior.
The office chairs:
The information station:
Finally all together:
Also been working on some other bits but had to show the eye candy on the cockpit first.
Wing wheel wells started and will be completed soon.
I painted the engines but forgot to take a pic of it for this post

.
Here is a teaser though.
That's it for now fellas. I promise to try and keep up as best as I can. Mojo hasn't been their but I must press on. Again, thanks for perusing my build and the support has been appreciated. I look forward to seeing your guys completed builds. Have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful build year in 2017.