Best Matt coat?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
1975GinjaNinja
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:13 am
Location: Reading, UK
England

Best Matt coat?

Post by 1975GinjaNinja »

First I apologise for what is probably a very fast question. As I'm fairly new to this hobby and have never put a matt coat down on a model yet I thought I would ask proles opinions on what is the best product for a matt coat.

I use mainly Tamiya and Mr hobby acrylics and have used Humbrol clear gloss but plan in the future to use alclad aqua gloss. All from an airbrush. So is there a product which is head and shoulders better than others out there for the final matt coat?

Cheers in advance

Nige
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh glue everywhere!
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Best Matt coat?

Post by Nev »

Testers dullcote for me 50% varnish 50% cellulose thinners :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Best Matt coat?

Post by schweinhund227 »

Nigel1975 wrote:First I apologise for what is probably a very fast question. As I'm fairly new to this hobby and have never put a matt coat down on a model yet I thought I would ask proles opinions on what is the best product for a matt coat.

I use mainly Tamiya and Mr hobby acrylics and have used Humbrol clear gloss but plan in the future to use alclad aqua gloss. All from an airbrush. So is there a product which is head and shoulders better than others out there for the final matt coat?

Cheers in advance

Nige
Since you already are a Tamiya product user; why not keep with the same brand? and look for TAMIYA XF-86 FLAT CLEAR
you use it the same way as you normally do with Acrylic Tamiya paints 50/50 thinning ratio and I find it has a nice finish.
stir well and thin with X-20A. :thumb2: not to be confused with (Flat Base)
1975GinjaNinja
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:13 am
Location: Reading, UK
England

Re: Best Matt coat?

Post by 1975GinjaNinja »

Well looking at my shelf I appear to have a little pot of XF-86 just sitting there. Obviously bought in one of my many "that will come in useful one day" buys from hobby craft.

Just a quick question with regards to it. I normally use Ultimate thinner with no real noticeable problems, as far as I can see anyway, it's it better to use x-20a?

Ta

Nige
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh glue everywhere!
Johnj
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 pm
Location: Clydebank, Glasgow.
Scotland

Re: Best Matt coat?

Post by Johnj »

Nige, i used XF-86 on the 109 and i'm pleased with the way it came out. I have bought a few flat clear coats including the enamel based alclad and i'll be using the tamiya from now on. You can use the Ultimate thinner with the tamiya acrylics, i mixed it 50/50
Money is'nt everything but it sure keep's the kid's in touch.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Best Matt coat?

Post by Paul »

Nigel1975 wrote:Well looking at my shelf I appear to have a little pot of XF-86 just sitting there. Obviously bought in one of my many "that will come in useful one day" buys from hobby craft.

Just a quick question with regards to it. I normally use Ultimate thinner with no real noticeable problems, as far as I can see anyway, it's it better to use x-20a?

Ta

Nige
Ultimate works perfectly with tamiya as it does with all acrylic paints :cheers2:
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”