Page 1 of 1
Mr Hobby/Colour? self levelling thinner... what is it?
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:41 pm
by SprueSurgeon
Hi everyone,
Lately i keep hearing references to Mr Hobby or is it Mr Color self leveling thinner, speaking as someone who uses a multitude of paints would this thinner work with everything? i've never heard of spraying thinner onto paint ive heard of mixing the two, ok its starting to sound complicated in my head as i'm writing it so im just going to break it down into short questions!
I've heard people say they spray a coat of this onto their models direct from the bottle, is it effective? and would it work with Revell,Valejo,Tamiya?
Is there anything else out there that works like this, Thanks for your reply.
ATB
Mark
Re: Mr Hobby/Colour? self levelling thinner... what is it?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:12 am
by digger303
Short version is
Mr Color self leveling thinner...it's a lacquer thinner, so good for Mr hobby and Tamiya.
Use leveling thinners with the Aqueous paints
The Mr. Color line ( lacquer thinner only) seems to be best airbrushed as it dries extremely fast.
The Mr Hobby color (Aqueous) line is more forgiving and can be mixed with water or TET or isopropyl alcohol .
PS......BIG BOO BOO.....NOT TET. Not thinking clearly. I meant Mr hobby self leveling thinner

Re: Mr Hobby/Colour? self levelling thinner... what is it?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:47 am
by Augustus
I think diggers right that Mr Color Self Levellining Thinner is a lacquer thinner so can be used with Mr Color paints as well as Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics. But personally I wouldn't thin Mr Hobby with water and definitely not Tamiya Extra Thin! IPA should be OK with Mr Hobby as I've used it with Tamiya acrylics.
I'm not sure if you can use it with the water based acrylics like Vallejo, however, it was used to good effect with Mig Ammo paints that had that separation problem.
As for spraying it on neat on a model I've never heard that one so can't comment.
Re: Mr Hobby/Colour? self levelling thinner... what is it?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:00 pm
by digger303
Augustus wrote:I think diggers right that Mr Color Self Levellining Thinner is a lacquer thinner so can be used with Mr Color paints as well as Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics. But personally I wouldn't thin Mr Hobby with water and definitely not Tamiya Extra Thin! IPA should be OK with Mr Hobby as I've used it with Tamiya acrylics.
I'm not sure if you can use it with the water based acrylics like Vallejo, however, it was used to good effect with Mig Ammo paints that had that separation problem.
As for spraying it on neat on a model I've never heard that one so can't comment.
The Mr Hobby color (Aqueous) line is more forgiving and can be mixed with water or SLT or isopropyl alcohol .
Aqueous...means water. You can mix them ALTHOUGH possibly not the best product to use, it can be done though.
Vallejo is a true acrylic paint ..Mr Hobby is not it is a lacquer based product as is Mr Color, Mr hobby Color and they should be thinned when using an AB.
This will set you on the right path
http://codyscoop.com/ht-paint.html
ps...your right I made a blunder...definitely not tet should be SLT

Re: Mr Hobby/Colour? self levelling thinner... what is it?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:07 am
by Augustus
Oh dear.
There's nothing to be learnt in that link. There was nothing incorrect with my statement.
The OPs question was regarding Self Levelling Thinner, not paints. If you reread that and my post, it may set you on the right path.
This post is about SLT, not me or you.
Re: Mr Hobby/Colour? self levelling thinner... what is it?
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:00 am
by digger303
thinner and their uses
I have sprayed thinner directly onto a model in a neat form. This was to fix a a paint over spray problem. It worked flattened the paint out nicely.