First time weathering

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
Western52
Private
Private
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:17 pm
England

First time weathering

Post by Western52 »

Hi all,
I'm going to have a go at weathering for the first time (on a tank) but am a little bit puzzled about one thing.
I have printed the model and put on the base coat (olive drab) and am going to use some ready made enamel washes to add streaks etc, the reason I'm using ready made before I'm shotdown for not making my own, is that I'm colour-blind and would not be able to mix colours very successfully.
Anyway the base colour is acrylic based, so I gather that I should protect this with a varnish coat (Matt or gloss?)but what medium should I use for this acrylic or enamel? If I use acrylic will it not be attacked by the wash and if so what's the point of applying it or use enamel which again would attack the acrylic base coat or are people using Future floor polish for this purpose.
Despite watching numerous YouTube videos I've not found an answer.
Thanks in advance, Mark
The voices are back. Excellent!
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: First time weathering

Post by Kevthemodeller »

I too was a bit unsure having only returned to the hobby earlier this year. with the vary same questions.

The advice I was given and read was; undercoat, chipping coat (if you want any),base colour, cam, then chip, gloss coat, decals, matt coat weathering.

Not saying that's correct or the only way just what I was advised as a starting point.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: First time weathering

Post by digger303 »

alcad aqua gloss (24hrs to dry) or Tamiya x-22 clear mixed 50/50 with Mr Hobby self leveling thinner ( dries much faster).
For a matte finish later in the build I use Windsor and Newton matte varnish ( acrylic mediums) mixed 50/50 with Ultimate thinner
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Western52
Private
Private
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:17 pm
England

Re: First time weathering

Post by Western52 »

Thanks for the advice.
The voices are back. Excellent!
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: First time weathering

Post by SteveAFV »

Hobby enamel paints should not attack properly sprayed and dried acrylic paint. The main reason to apply an acrylic gloss is if you have applied decals or weather affects that might be disturbed by the wash or where you need a gloss surface for the weathering technique. When applying a wash you want it to spread through capillary action. A matt surface won't allow you to achieve the same effect.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”