Page 1 of 1

POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 am
by ElCapitan
I thought it might be interesting to conduct a poll to see what's most popular. Just for fun!

I've set it so that people can come back later and change their answer if they wish. :thumb2:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 am
by Tomcat64
I know there are a lot of specialists that focus on just one area but for me it's too hard to narrow down to a single choice.

I'll build armour, WW2 aircraft, jet aircraft and sci-fi depending on what I feel like doing and often find that when I'm building armour I'll be thinking about what aircraft to do next and vice versa.

So I tend to rotate around those four subjects on a regular basis.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 am
by wookiee76
I'll build pretty much anything although having a predilection for complex, high part count kits it has to be armour, generally from a certain nation.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 am
by ElCapitan
Tomcat64 wrote:I know there are a lot of specialists that focus on just one area but for me it's too hard to narrow down to a single choice.

I'll build armour, WW2 aircraft, jet aircraft and sci-fi depending on what I feel like doing and often find that when I'm building armour I'll be thinking about what aircraft to do next and vice versa.

So I tend to rotate around those four subjects on a regular basis.
It is hard to narrow down, I agree. Is there nothing that you enjoy building more than anything else, at this point in time? Or something that you know will bring your mojo back when you need it?

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:14 am
by Stokesy44
My focus has narrowed over the years to WW2 Aircraft and Armour and Movie Sci-Fi.

I tend to be driven by what new kits come to market on the subjects I really fancy. I get a weekly email from Hannants detailing new releases and if I see anything that I fancy I will have a think about it on a cost / too big a stash basis. My current muse is a 1/35 Bronco Models 40mm Bofors with crew but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm having some modelling mojo issues.

For the first time in my life I have an actual stash (about 15) and its made up of kits I really fancy. The problem is I am having some trouble actually sitting down to model. A recent family bereavement on top of some historical mental health issues and I cant get up any enthusiasm for the bench. Don't get me wrong, I love the hobby and the forum (its been a God-send, trust me) but my interest seems to peak at the acquisition stage.

I'm living my own little Thomas Crown Affair - I like getting stuff then don't know what to do with it once I have it :bash:

As Blackadder said, I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:35 am
by ElCapitan
Hope you get your mojo back soon Stokesy. I always consider window shopping part of the hobby too. Mind you, a Hannants email sounds like a dangerous thing...

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:36 am
by Dropis258
Hi
I've chosen armour,but I build ww2 & modern aircraft too but armour has got to be my comfort zone :banana:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am
by Stokesy44
ElCapitan wrote:Hope you get your mojo back soon Stokesy. I always consider window shopping part of the hobby too. Mind you, a Hannants email sounds like a dangerous thing...
Thanks mate. Yes indeed, the Hannants email is a dangerous thing! Like a little grenade sitting in my inbox, one errant click and..... :boom:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am
by ElCapitan
:lol:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 am
by ElCapitan
£"&*! Just added "other" as an option, and it deleted all previous answers. Sorry about that - Lesson learned, no editing!

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 pm
by aur0ra145
I voted jets; but, I find myself more of a fighter/attack aircraft guy regardless of the time period.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:26 pm
by Avgas
I voted WWII a/c purely on stash numbers but in reality I build anything 1:48 that flies.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:25 pm
by Lysus
I'm up for most things, though I picked only one for the poll. I think the only thing that doesn't attract me much is armor, but that may change someday if I find the right kit.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 pm
by sheppsea
I have put WW2 aircraft, but that is a merely instinctive thing, I am only just getting back into the hobby, but WW2 aircraft is what I have always been more drawn to and have never venture too far from it

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:15 pm
by ElCapitan
Lysus wrote:I think the only thing that doesn't attract me much is armor, but that may change someday if I find the right kit.
It's the same for me. I did build a few tanks in my teens but I'm never drawn to that section of the hobby shop. Maybe one day...

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:47 am
by Tomcat64
ElCapitan wrote:
Tomcat64 wrote:I know there are a lot of specialists that focus on just one area but for me it's too hard to narrow down to a single choice.

I'll build armour, WW2 aircraft, jet aircraft and sci-fi depending on what I feel like doing and often find that when I'm building armour I'll be thinking about what aircraft to do next and vice versa.

So I tend to rotate around those four subjects on a regular basis.
It is hard to narrow down, I agree. Is there nothing that you enjoy building more than anything else, at this point in time? Or something that you know will bring your mojo back when you need it?
Been pondering on this and you're right - when it comes down to it I'm most comfortable with armour; it's also armour that got me back into building do that's got my vote.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:59 am
by kprice52001
Why can I only choose one!!!!! This is sooo difficult!

Image

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:02 am
by ElCapitan
:twisted:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:39 pm
by Geoffers
Hi Guys

Its World War II aircraft for me :D

I do enjoy most aviation subjects and have dabbled with armour but it's WWII aircraft that I find myself returning to.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:04 pm
by ElCapitan
So far the results of this have been what I would have predicted!

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:43 pm
by SimonR2800
Mostly WWII aircraft for me, with Warhammer and the odd Motorcycle and AFV thrown in. I don't mind dabbling in NASCAR and F1 vehicles, too.

(I don't play Warhammer anymore, but the figurines and vehicles still appeal.)

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:02 pm
by SteelScooter
Nice to see the one true modelling subject is on top and my second favourite subject in er.. second. What a boring conformist I am. Damn it now I am depressed. From triumphalism to mid life crisis in one paragraph. :-|

:cheers2:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:42 pm
by Lysus
SteelScooter wrote:Nice to see the one true modelling subject is on top and my second favourite subject in er.. second. What a boring conformist I am. Damn it now I am depressed. From triumphalism to mid life crisis in one paragraph. :-|

:cheers2:
:lol:

No harm in liking what's popular...it's popular for a reason! You do you, man :cheers2:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:14 pm
by Stokesy44
Nice to see helicopters are hovering on a big fat zero - pun intended :pistols:

They are the seed of the devil in kit form. My therapist will tell you I hold this view because the few helicopter kits I have made have turned out truly awful.

I am presently in negotiations with her on her fee basis. :crazy:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:20 pm
by Stokesy44
My favourite subject isn't up there. Uma Thurman 8-)

(that's a Stargate SG1 joke, by the way)

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:21 pm
by Lysus
Stokesy44 wrote:Nice to see helicopters are hovering on a big fat zero - pun intended :pistols:

They are the seed of the devil in kit form. My therapist will tell you I hold this view because the few helicopter kits I have made have turned out truly awful.

I am presently in negotiations with her on her fee basis. :crazy:
Occasionally I think about a chopper kit, then I look at the instructions and whatnot.

Image

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:30 pm
by Stokesy44
Lysus wrote:
Occasionally I think about a chopper kit, then I look at the instructions and whatnot.
King of memes strikes again - awesome

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:57 pm
by RobertK
I find it hard to pick one option as it is hard to decide. Also, what I think I enjoy the most I seldom complete.
Like, I really think I enjoy building ww2 aircraft, I grab a kit, starts to build it and between halfway or close to finished I lose interest and builds a tank instead and finishes that kit instead.

It's wierd.

But, if I really have to pick anything right now. Sailing ships and subs with some sci fi kits thrown into the mix.

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:08 pm
by ElCapitan
Interesting seeing the results of this poll come in. I sort of predicted that armour would be most popular, judging by the amount of armour builds that seem to be going on at any one time. I've never seen the appeal with armour personally, I once built a Churchill, a Sherman and a Tiger, but didn't feel the satisfaction I get from building aircraft. Then again, it was my love of fast jets that got me into the hobby in the first place.

Still love checking out the armour build threads though, especially the awesome dio's! :thumb2:

Re: POLL: What's Your Favourite Subject to Model?

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:09 am
by Augustus
I'm fairly new on the scene and prefer armour. I thought, and the polls shows, that planes would be the most popular. I'm just wondering how many of the WWII aircraft and the jet people do both and if so would they be on top?