Page 1 of 1
How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:56 am
by snowman819
I've hardly posted here before because usually, most of the answers I can find here.
However,I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to stop the SUPER GLUE tube/Nozzle from sealing up?
We use it,and after a few days of using it,it eventually just seals up with more than half still in the tube, and we have to throw it away.Which means we have to go an buy another tube, and we the rinse and repeat.
I'll pop this here for future reference just incase as it is now 2 months and the glue is still great.
We have been trying to find a way to keep my small tube of super glue viable and I think I have found a way. ( from a friend).
Since it is the water molecules that cure the super glue we put the tube in a small zip lock bag along with, a desiccant packet/Silicca gel to help keep the air dry as much as possible.I was also told it can help to put it into the fridge.
Since We live in Japan some people have said we can use rice in the bag too. As it will help keep the air dry too and stop the nozzle blocking.So we put both in the zip lock.
The net result is. My tube nozzle has remained clear.I have had not problems taking the cap off and more importantly i have been able to continue using the same tube of super glue.
I might try this with the more liquid super glue when i finish this to see if there is a difference, but this tube is nearly two months old and I've already saved a few yen/pounds/dollars by doing this.
I hope this tip can help others.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thank you in advance.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 am
by BobM
Not an expert and still on my first bottle, but... What I've been doing is to squeeze out all the air slowly, then release and suck it back in quickly. That seems to clear it enough. Then wipe the outside (again quickly) with a paper towel. Replace caps and store upright. Oh, I also always just put a drop or two on a piece of masking tape stuck to my work surface and then close bottle ASAP. Seems to be working so far. I think I read this tip somewhere but don't recall where; I'd give credit if I could.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 pm
by RobertK
I have a glue from ZAP, think it's Poly zap, it have two caps, one smaller close to the nozzle and one bigger covering the first cap. It works but it's rather expensive for some CA glue.
My second type is one small tube, think it's 2grams, den braven speed glue, so if it dries I just grab a new one and doesn't have to throw away a ton of glue. Cheap aswell.
My third type is a thick type with a massive volume with an included accelerator spray. It's cheap and seems to never dry in the cap, no idea why. It's from biltema, don't know if it's availible outside the nordic countries though.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:49 pm
by Nev
I never use the nozzles. I open from the neck pour a small amount into a container and use from that. I buy far less superglue using this method

Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:32 pm
by digger303
I do as above , but if it does dry I just use a old AB needle to clear it.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:42 pm
by Darklen
Nozzles on mine unscrew, so I just soak them in acetone for a few hours every once and a while to clean them up.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:53 pm
by wookiee76
If you're using a tub rather than tube a few sharp whacks on the bench will persuade excess glue back down into the tub, that said a pin vice with a small drill bit clears it perfectly.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:17 am
by snowman819
Thank you for all your ideas.I'll certainly I've them a go.
I did read somewhere if we make sure the bottle is lid is air tight,in a jar with a dessicant,and pop it in the fridge,it will last for years.
So it looks like I've a few things to try. It really is a pain buying new CA all the time.
Thanks guys.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:29 am
by Stokesy44
I use a gel based super glue and have had zero problems with the nozzle. If I ever do get a build up, it just clips off using a hobby knife.
I would never go back to a liquid CA glue, waiting times in casualty are far too long in this country.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:06 am
by snowman819
I use the Gel and usually clip it off too,but eventually it goes off.
BTW Liquid CA, if anyone ever uses eye drops and wears contact lenses. NEVER KEEP them together.
I worked at moorfields eye hospital in A and E and someone actually picked up a bottle of superglue thinking it was their eye drops.LOL.well you know what happened next.
Anyway, We spent hours trying to open her eye again, and our waiting times were 6 hour. Sorry for your wait.but we probably had another emergency.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:50 am
by snowman819
I have been trying to find a way to keep my small tube of super glue viable and I think I have found a way. ( from a friend).
I put the tube in a small zip lock bag along with, a desiccant packet/Silicca gel to help keep the air dry.
I was also told it can help to put it into the fridge.
We live in japan and some people have said we can use rice in the bag too.as it will help keep the air dry too and stop the nozzle blocking.So we put both in the zip lock.
The net result is. My tube nozzle has remained clear.I have had not problems taking the cap off and more importantly i have been able to continue using the same tube of super glue.
I might try this with the more liquid super glue when i finish this to see if there is a difference, but this tube is nearly two months old and I've already saved a few yen/pounds/dollars by doing this.
I hope this tip can help others.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:41 am
by aur0ra145
I use a piece of cardboard. I'll drop 1 or two drops on it and recap the glue immediately. Then I used one of the hobby lobby applicator swab things or a cheap sewing needle in a pin vice to apply the glue where needed. If the neck of the super glue ever gets clogged I clear it with a toothpick or sewing needle. I've just about used up the first bottle of super glue I bought nearly a year ago. Well, exactly a year ago is when I started modelling! On a side note I found some of the old models I made as a kid... they are, well, terrible, lol! It's awesome to see how much I improved in just one year of modeling. I wouldn't have been able to do without the help of the friendly ISM people!
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:40 pm
by snowman819
I have to agree.Our models when we were kids were slightly different.LoL but they were the best aeroplanes in the world for sure.proundly hanging them from the ceiling,Paint and glue all over the place,and i wish i still had them.Certianly before the days of super glue.
I hardly post here as there is so much good advice here.
I hope I have the chance or even the courage to try joining in one of the group builds,in some crazy attempt to build something half decent or atleast better than when I was kid. I'm going to give it a year.(if my kids don't bust my models up) which they will.
Merry Xmas.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:09 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
snowman819 wrote:I have to agree.Our models when we were kids were slightly different.LoL but they were the best aeroplanes in the world for sure.proundly hanging them from the ceiling,Paint and glue all over the place,and i wish i still had them.Certianly before the days of super glue.
I hardly post here as there is so much good advice here.
I hope I have the chance or even the courage to try joining in one of the group builds,in some crazy attempt to build something half decent or atleast better than when I was kid. I'm going to give it a year.(if my kids don't bust my models up) which they will.
Merry Xmas.
If I may suggest, try joining the egg plane build in April...a great way to get your feet wet
It is a fun group build and there are many varieties of kits
Merry Christmas to you
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:44 pm
by Avgas
I hardly post here as there is so much good advice here.
I hope I have the chance or even the courage to try joining in one of the group builds,in some crazy attempt to build something half decent or atleast better than when I was kid.
My advice is just get in there and do it. My builds will never win any prizes but I enjoy doing them and each one is a little better than the last. (That last statement may or may not be true...

)This isn't a 'mine is better than yours' community anyway, there are plenty of other sites where people are only too eager to tell you that your decals aren't right for an aircraft built at 1.30 pm on the 14th of March 1943 or you've got the wrong size hole in the end of the cannon barrel. Thankfully this isn't one of them. I've always said that if people can look at one of my builds from 6 feet away and say 'That's a Spitfire' then providing it is a Spitfire I'm happy.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:07 pm
by BobM
I'll second (third?) the comments of Scott and Dave; just get in there and do it. My very first build as an adult was part of the I Heart Tamiya GB; my results were OK, but the comments from members were very positive. I'm not on my second build which I started a thread for over in the "Modelling Works In Progress > Aircraft > Prop Aircraft" section. It hasn't generated a ton of comments, but that's OK, it's kind of fun documenting my build.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:42 pm
by CJSomerset
BobM wrote:. Then wipe the outside (again quickly) with a paper towel.
Not recommended, as superglue mixed some cottons that can be found in paper towels will produce enough heat to burn you. Sounds like rubbish I know,but it has happened to me!
And once it starts to burn you you can't put it down as it has stuck to your skin.

Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:59 am
by snowman819
Thanks for you advice.I'll certainly take a look at some of the group builds,and i might even try one of those egg builds.Modelling is for fun and like you said,If it looks like a spitfire, then its a spitfire. I'll certainly give it some thought,as there are a few models im looking to get this year.
Only thing is there are too many so i think ill build one i have never built before that i have always liked the look of and thats the iL2 sturmovik.
Maybe a white winter job as it freezing over here.
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:56 am
by BobM
CJSomerset wrote:BobM wrote:. Then wipe the outside (again quickly) with a paper towel.
Not recommended, as superglue mixed some cottons that can be found in paper towels will produce enough heat to burn you. Sounds like rubbish I know,but it has happened to me!
And once it starts to burn you you can't put it down as it has stuck to your skin.

Wow! Learn something new every day! Well, I did preface my comment with "I'm not an expert..."
I guess then I've been lucky; I did a Google search that turned up at least one interesting video that demonstrates this. I have a medium CA, so maybe there is less of a reaction? Anyway, I guess the lesson is always be careful with CA glue; and not just because you may glue things to yourself, including yourself...
Re: How to stop SUPER GLUE tube/cap blocking up
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:29 pm
by Timplastic
tips for helping stop super glue going thick and setting quick is putting the bottles in the fridge for storage. Too seal the top of the tip i have some sort of drawing pin in the top which works quite well in stopping it drying out and getting sealed