Page 1 of 1

a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:49 pm
by rodrant
Well , not really a jet guy ( at least I try to tell this to myself...the latest buys of a Draken and the Tamiya F-14 make me not very convinced of that :-) , but I decided to enter this SiG wit a small entry using an Hasegawa 1/72 kit that I buy in my LHS , would love to do a 1/32 Tamiya kit , but have other priorities , still the phantom is one of my favourite planes ( I have a Big list actually :-) ) . Portugal never had this magnific work horse and great fighter (bomber ? , recon ? ...Multipurpose ... ) plane , still I remember during one of my trips to my workplace at Spain offices to see in the Highway a F4 near the Torrejon Air Base near MAdrid , this one :

Image

welll you suppose that I will do a Spanish Airforce version , but no ...will go for the JASDF F4EJ ...seems built locally by Mitsubishi , really not a fancy and very glamourous version and colour scheme , but thought funny to do a Rising Sun Phantom ...well actually it was the only one at my LHS , so let' see what we have :

The Box :

Image

The sprues :

Image

A bag with 4 sprues ...it's 1/72 so ...

Image

Image

Image

Decals ...they are a bit yellow ...and I'm guessing ( it is only a guess of course ...) that I will have issues with them !

Image

Clear parts

Image

Instructions

Image

Start painting the pilot and copilot ...

Image

AS I don'y have all colour references, used some X-6 Orange from tamiya and mixed some flat Clear XF-86

Image

Also begin to do the tub ...some Grey and some black on the side panels ...

At the office :-)

Image

me and my nice pictures ...here with no flash ...one grey and one withe helmet

Image

Well , the fuselage, wings and real wings went very nicely ...used Tamiya Extra thin Quick glue and no issues at all , no big gaps , nice little kit ...of course , my 'technique makes me do some sand work and check it , but going good ...

something disapointing in the kit ...only bring 4 Sidewinders, and they are little strange , so today I buy some 'aftermarket' , and Hasegawa JASDF armament kit ...and will be just it as I like to see a phantom with some load ....bombs and so :-)

:cheers2:

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:48 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Ok, you got my attention, I am following :pop:

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:18 pm
by wellzy
Good start , will watch this build

Les

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:24 pm
by rodrant
Well after the cockpit , It was very fast to glue the fuselage and wings ...no big issues , still you noticed the kit's age

Image

Image

Image

Image

Putty ...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Used the 502 Abteilung liquid mask for the canopy

Image

used this kit of JAFSDF ...my idea was to use a payload of bMk.82 bombs ...still I realize that I haven't the right pylons ...so go for an alteranative configuration that was an Air superiority configuration ...the kit has not two Sindwinders, but 4 AAM missiles , so I added from the armamnet kit 4 AIM Sidwinders placed in a double configuration on each wing pylon , two external wing tanks and a ventral tank

Image

Image

Image

Will try to do this colour scheme

Image

So used the Ultimate Black primer

Image

Image

after will paint whithe on the low part of the plane and will use a Lifecolour Gloss Aircraft Gray that is a FS16473 colour that I have here for a Portuguese AirForce Sabre , it is the most close colour than the one indicated in the Instructions (FS16440)

Will try to do something like this F4EJ's from the JAFSDF :

Image

Image

The kit actually is very poor in surface detail so I do not have any panels or even can do after any panel wash ... let's see how would be the final result ...

But for tomorrow :-)

:cheers2:

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:41 pm
by GuyMac
Your entry is going at Mach 1 :-)
Great work so far mate ;-)

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:11 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
They look so cool in black primer :violin:
Keep plugging along

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:46 pm
by rodrant
So Start painting it

Image

Bottom painted white ...and yes I build all before I paint it as it was all white so ...

Image

Already painted the AAM ,
Then masking and masking to paint the dofferent metal tones

First X-11

Image

Image

XF-56 fr the jet exauhsts and the dark metal tones on the rear wing and fuselage

Image

the AAM 3 missles painted Aircraft grey and with the decals

Image

Decals were ok , I was afraid that they were yellow and that they 'self destruct' when in the water , but all was ok :

Image

Image



And is ready for the final reveal :

http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=544&t=20501





:cheers2:

Re: a 'Raising Sun' Phantom F4EJ 1/72 from Hasegawa

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:49 pm
by Spook
Wow that was a kwick build, she looking good though for kit that appears to have little detail. :th: :th: :th: