Page 1 of 1

"Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:07 pm
by RicRodrigues
I'm calling the Hiace done!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
It was a nice build, but I had some bad decisions that affected the final result. It's a learning curve and for sure I won't be doing this same mistakes on next builds. The biggest one was definitely the decision to paint all the body parts before assembly; this meant seam lines undealt and glue almost ruining the paintjob. Plus, for some reason, the clear coat started to crack in some places; despite i'm ok with this as it helped to create an "heavy used" effect, it's always a pain when you see your clear coat ruined and you don't have a clue... Finally, the decals: decals riping off, falling apart, not setting properly are not the end of the world, but in an OOB build like this, it's really frustrating when you see decals riping off!!!
But in the end, I'm happy with the final result. I've decided to go for a "special livery" exclusive for this GB. The "I" and the "hearts" were airbrushed trying to look like some graffiti. It's not perfect, but the result suits the van's beat-up look.
Finally, I couldn't close this build without a quick explanation. It was the first time I enter a GB with a same kit as other modeller and it was just a coincidence that me and Lysus choosed the same kit. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do and I kept faithful to that original plan until the end. But, looking into Lysus build, I reckon some solutions chosen were similar: that was, once again, just a coincidence and a proof that 2 people with completely different backgrounds and experience (and therefore diferent thinking process) might end up with the similar solutions and at the same time, completely diferent final results. This just shows how amazing this hobby is, with no simple and strict and universal step-by-step guide, but always open to the individual creativity!!! (Lysus Build on this link http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=531&t=19466 )
With no more chit-chat, here are the photos!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

As always, opinions and suggestions are welcome, feel free to comment!!!!
Cheers!!!! :cheers2: :cheers2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:22 pm
by ElCapitan
That looks so good, great job! Love the idea of adding graffiti!

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:33 pm
by Liamcraven666
Great job ric! I like the graffiti.

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm
by sheppsea
Terrific job, love how you worked to title into the piece! :th:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:02 pm
by kiwigav
fantastic finish mate :th: :th: love the tagging. best of luck in the SIG results

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:03 am
by SergioSolo
Haha, such a cool idea, and well executed :th:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:03 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Well done :lol: :clap:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:17 pm
by privatepete
Looks briliant , great idea of adding graffiti and the boxes :clap: good luck.
Pete :thumb2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:22 pm
by ForbesHutton
Nice.

For your next project how about the Ultimate wheelbarrow?

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:33 pm
by RicRodrigues
ElCapitan wrote:That looks so good, great job! Love the idea of adding graffiti!
Liamcraven666 wrote:Great job ric! I like the graffiti.
sheppsea wrote:Terrific job, love how you worked to title into the piece! :th:
kiwigav wrote:fantastic finish mate :th: :th: love the tagging. best of luck in the SIG results
Sergiotron wrote:Haha, such a cool idea, and well executed :th:
Twokidsnosleep wrote:Well done :lol: :clap:
privatepete wrote:Looks briliant , great idea of adding graffiti and the boxes :clap: good luck.
Pete :thumb2:
ForbesHutton wrote:Nice.
Thanks, guys, I'm glad you like it!!! As I said, I reckon it's not a perfect finish, but it suits the heavy used look that these vans usually have. The boxes were an extra that came with the kit and are a really nice touch from Tamiya. About the graffiti, that was an ideia that I was considering since the begining of the build, even though I was not sure if my skills would be enough to create the desired effect. My ideia was to try to make it something really exclusive for this group build, but something natural and plausible. It came out good and I'm happy with the effect and with the fact that you guys are enjoying it!!! Once again, Thanks for the words of aprecciation!!! :th: :th: :cheers2: :cheers2: :th: :th:
ForbesHutton wrote:For your next project how about the Ultimate wheelbarrow?
Ahahahahahah!!! Just wayting for Lee to 3D-print the wheelbarrow and Paul to come out with the Ultimate decals!!!! If so, Ultimate Wheelbarrow, scale 1:24, might even go for the first page of the first issue of the ISM magazine!!! That would be something remarkable!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:52 pm
by demarcation
Great work mate, love the graffiti!! :th:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:14 pm
by RicRodrigues
demarcation wrote:Great work mate, love the graffiti!! :th:
Cheers, mate!!!! :th: :th: :th:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:47 pm
by gaz45
Very nice work there mate

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 pm
by Navcom
Well played my friend! Well played!

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:25 pm
by hansolo
Very unusual model. Great idea to incorporate the Sig title this way!!

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 pm
by TommyKillander
I love this one, excellent work and a nice touch with the grafitti tag :clap: :clap: :th:

:cheers2:
Tommy

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 am
by RicRodrigues
gaz45 wrote:Very nice work there mate
Navcom wrote:Well played my friend! Well played!
hansolo wrote:Very unusual model. Great idea to incorporate the Sig title this way!!
TommyKillander wrote:I love this one, excellent work and a nice touch with the grafitti tag :clap: :clap: :th:

:cheers2:
Tommy
Thank you, guys, I'm glad you like it!!! :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 am
by Johnj
Thats looks superb ! Exellent job !

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:02 pm
by DBMiller
A Tamiya truck full of Tamiya fun! :thumb2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:02 pm
by RicRodrigues
Johnj wrote:Thats looks superb ! Exellent job !
DBMiller wrote:A Tamiya truck full of Tamiya fun! :thumb2:
Thank you, guys, Glad you like it!!! :cheers2: :cheers2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am
by Lysus
I heart it!

It looks great, and you're right, it is funny how two people can reach the same conclusions sometimes. Personally I feel yours looks better than mine, and your decals are laid down MUCH more smoothly. I think you also did a better job with some of the smaller details (finger wells in the door handles, etc.). I just noticed a couple bits that I completely forgot in my rush to finish--yeah, ok, rush to finish three months late sounds silly but my bench was crowded--such as the bumpers around the rear license plate and the silver on the mirrors...ugh. I can be so daft sometimes.

Great finish, LOVE the heart graffiti. At least there will be one HiAce in the reveal vid when it comes out. I think it's the better of the two :cheers2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 am
by Nev
Really nice job mate :cheers2:

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 pm
by RicRodrigues
Nev wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:09 am Really nice job mate :cheers2:
Cheers, mate!!!

Re: "Damn kids, they've ruined my van!!!" (Another) Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery Reveal

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:41 pm
by RicRodrigues
Lysus wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am I heart it!

It looks great, and you're right, it is funny how two people can reach the same conclusions sometimes. Personally I feel yours looks better than mine, and your decals are laid down MUCH more smoothly. I think you also did a better job with some of the smaller details (finger wells in the door handles, etc.). I just noticed a couple bits that I completely forgot in my rush to finish--yeah, ok, rush to finish three months late sounds silly but my bench was crowded--such as the bumpers around the rear license plate and the silver on the mirrors...ugh. I can be so daft sometimes.

Great finish, LOVE the heart graffiti. At least there will be one HiAce in the reveal vid when it comes out. I think it's the better of the two :cheers2:
Thanks, buddy!!! Glad you like it!!! The Decals were a pain to conform, was ridiculous the amount of MicroSet used for that!!! I hope this one will be a worthy representative of the Hiace for the SIG reveal video!!!

Cheers!!!