Page 1 of 1

Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:08 am
by zb00p
During the Stalingrad counteroffensive, the Soviets realised they needed a self-propelled gun to counter German fortifications in and around Stalingrad. The primary requirements were heavy armour, high mobility and low cost. This was achieved by mating the ML-20 howitzer with the KV-1S chassis.

The SU-152 was developed as a bunker-buster, but similar to its German counterparts (Dicker Max and Sturer Emil) it would soon prove its worth as a tank destroyer. A near miss was enough to blast off the turret from a Panther due to the sheer force of the massive HE rounds . A direct hit would result into something like this:
Image

I will be building the SU-152 from Bronco Models, which is a September 1943 production (that's on my box) and my understanding is this is considered a "Late Production" vehicle (seen that as well)
Image

While the box is very wide, it is rather shallow and considering it is a Bronco kit, the box seems a bit empty. Had it not been for the indy workable tracks with their pins, the parts count would be very low.

Assembly starts with the rear plate and then you attach it to the lower hull and next step is to mount the torsion bars. So far, overall fit and engineering is very good and just a few torsion bars need some extra persuasion to go into their locating guides

Image
Image
Image

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:11 am
by zb00p
The SU-152 now has all her road wheels mounted to the suspension arms. The suspension is workable and this gives you lots of options if you are thinking of dio. The sprockets and the idlers are also in place. It's a shame really the idlers are not adjustable. I guess the famous "soviet" track sag gives you lots of room and you can get away with a fixed-in-place idler. Odd if you ask me, as everything else is workable (tracks, wheels, suspension).
Image
Image
Image

Hull interior is also completed
Image
Image
Image

On to the tracks

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 am
by zb00p
Bronco provides some very nicely detailed workable tracks with track pins, which are a paint to clip off the sprues and you also need some glue to secure the pins as they don't clip into their locating holes.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Poor Helmuth, he did stand a chance!

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 am
by Gauzer
Looking good, like the workable suspension :)

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:22 pm
by privatepete
It's taking shape nicely and those tracks are very workable indeed.
Pete :thumb2:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm
by Davethepitch
I doubt a body would lift a tank suspension but it looks good though.

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:07 am
by SergioSolo
Looking good! :th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:45 am
by zb00p
Sorry for the late reply, been down with a cold and did not spend much time online.

I appreciate the good word and the interest in this build, thank you!

I have been working on the engine on and off, adding some extra details to it, painting and weathering it.

I will post more photos once the engine is completed.

Cheers

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:29 pm
by demarcation
Wow those tracks look great, love the sag!

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 pm
by digger303
Have two of these beasts in my stash. One being a present, so it has been on my mind I must build it or get no more kits as presents. With all that in mind I am checking this out with keen eye. You are building a great looking kit and love the photo you started the thread with....very interesting and impressive.

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:23 am
by zb00p
Good morning Gents!

It is a great kit and though it is a Bronco kit, the parts count is on the low side, contrary to most of their kits.

And it is a massive beast, too. Can't go wrong with that size! :)

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:31 am
by GollyPo
Looking great. Poor Helmuth though! Those tracks look excellent, are they glued or workable?

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:37 pm
by zb00p
Thank you for the thumbs up! They are workable and handed, they come with pins and all. Lots of clipping and cleaning up, but well worth it.

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:32 pm
by zb00p
I think it's high time I posted some WIP phothos
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

All comments are welcome, let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Christos

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm
by zb00p
The ML-20S is fully assembled now and ready to be mounted. Of course, I need to build the superstructure first, but that's up next!
I am guilty of sloppy clean up, but most of the offending items will be locked away in the darkness of the firmly shut hatches!
There are some tiny parts, primarily around the gun sights, but assembly is generally straightforward and and clean up of the major parts is minimal. It is a massive thing compared to that Kubelwagen next to it
Image
Image
Image

All comments are welcome, thanks for watching.

Christos

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:56 pm
by spock1701
Ooh, that beast is big. Engine looks fantastic. Build is coming along very nicely.

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:54 am
by zb00p
Good morning,

Thank you very much for the good word, much appreciated! I like the kit and goes together nicely and there's lots of room for improvement.

Weather's nice today, so a good day to crawl into the man cave!

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:38 pm
by Bissyboat
That's a big gun. Looking good. :thumb2:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:19 pm
by zb00p
Thank you for the thumbs up man! :)

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:42 am
by digger303
Do you think bronco have the right engine..V2 diesel engine was what was used. Yes I sound like a rivet counter, but I assure you I am not as it doesn't really matter .This is just a question and not having a go at you, your build is going great guns. :cheers2: :th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:21 am
by zb00p
From what I have found online, this looks like a V-2 engine. Now, if it depicts correctly the V-2K used on the KV series tanks that's something I cannot tell, to be honest!
After all, once the access hatch is in place, the engine will be barely visible for anyone to tell if the engine is accurate. I did try to improve it by adding some lines and tubing, hope it looks good!

Cheers,
Christos

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 pm
by zb00p
Been working on the beast silently and now, I can call the assembly stage completed.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

The tracks are assembled and will be fitted once painted. Below is a summary of what I've done on this one:
- Replaced all grab handles with wire
- Replaced the hand rails with scratch-built ones (experimented with soldering here)
- Scratched the tow cable fastener
- Twisted my own tow cables (kind of pointless as copper ones were included in the kit)
- Replaced the pickaxe clamps with PE leftovers.
- Chopped off part of the fenders to replicate damage
- Scratched mud guards from foil and beat them up a bit
- Scratched two fuel drums, inspired by the reference photo posted above.
- Almost forgot, added wiring and plumbing to the engine block

As you can see in the photos, I have posted both fuel drums on the SU, which one do you think looks better? Or should I use the kit's fuel drum?

Let me know what you think, all comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Cheers,

Christos

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 pm
by Bissyboat
Very nice.:th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 am
by zb00p
Thank you!
I did spend some time creating new rums and here are my better three:
Image
Image
Image

I think these look much better

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:05 am
by zb00p
This one has come a long way and here are some photos of what you've missed

Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500
Image
Image

Marble coat with Vallejo Russian Green
Image

Blend coat with Vallejo Russian Green (came out too dark)
Image

Second blend coat with Vallejo Refractive Green
Image
Image
Image

I primed the fuel drums with Vallejo Oxide Red primer, sprayed HS, painted with Russian Green and chipped them.

All comments are welcome, let me know what you think

Christos

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:32 pm
by Bissyboat
Looking very good. :th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm
by zb00p
Thank for the thumbs up! :)

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:14 pm
by privatepete
Very nice work, a big beast indeed,well done & keep up the good work :cheers2:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:33 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
A lovely paint job, KUTGW :th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:02 pm
by zb00p
Thank you very much! :)

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 am
by digger303
Only just caught up again with this thread and it was well worth it :th: :th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:41 pm
by zb00p
Thank you mate, appreciate the good word! I've done a few more things to the beast, just haven't had the chance to take photos. Will get to it!

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 pm
by zb00p
The beast has been completed and has taken its place in the cabinet. Time to show it off!
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Let me know what you think

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
I like it, I like it a LOT 👍 You've done a superb job building this and nailed the painting and weathering. Very well done.

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 am
by digger303
Fantastic work

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:35 pm
by zb00p
Thank you very much for the thumbs up Gents, much appreciated! :)

Mind you, I almost ruined it with the decals, but I saved it in the end.

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:05 pm
by Bissyboat
The open lid on the engine room is a nice touch. :th:

Re: Birth of a Champion - Bronco Models SU-152 (Sep. 1943 prod.)

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 pm
by zb00p
Apologies for the late reply

Thank you very much for the good word!
I'm glad you like the engine. As soon as I saw that engine block, I knew I had to work on it a bit and show it off.